1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Friendly Competition

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by Korias, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Korias

Korias King

As it stands on the GameSpy servers, you'll find that most games fall under three catagories:
    • The Small Mapped, Blazing Speed, FFA games that tend to end in a brutal conquest victory before 100 AD
    • The standard Mapped, Blazing Speed, ladder games that are part of other clans and such going head to head to determine who plays the best Civ.
    • And the Nice, relaxing, Larger map with a relaxed time limit, games that like to give you the ability to trade tech, to build alliances, to play civ like you do on a computer. Not Competitive, but Co-Operative Civ.

Guess which one rarely appears?

I intend to change this. Saturday, December 13, 3:00 PM EST, I plan on making a larger game focused more on the aspect of just playing Civ 4 with like minded compatriots. We'll have fun, playing a game of civ that isnt always focused about beating the crap out of everyone. Win a Space Victory. Go For Wonders. Co-erce your allies to vote for you in a Diplovictory, if you so dare.

The First game will have the following options selected

Tech Trade / Broker is ON. You are able to trade techs with your allies/enemies as you see fit.

Permanent Alliances will be OFF. In a standard Civ4 game, you arent able to, and if you want to have an alliance, it'd be beneficial to ensure that we dont have massive superpowers teaming up for the victory.

Barbarians will be ON. An AI Presence will cause players to still maintain a military even during peace time. However, Raging Barbarians will be Off

The Map stats will be as follows

Type Pangea
    Size Large or Large+1 size up, depending on the amount of intrest.
    Sea Level Low
    Climate Temperate
    Turn Timer Yes, Standard (to maintain game movement)
    Tolerance We will wait 1 minute for a player to reconnect in the event of a dropout. If the player does not return, then he will be taken over by an AI. If more than 25% of the players leave, then we shall save and adjourn to a later date.
    Expansion: Yes. Beyond the Sword 3.17 is required.

I'd be willing to support SEVEN other players, as thats the max my computer's connection can take.

PLAYERS

• Korias
      Blade_125
      SPOT2
      SPOT3
      SPOT4
      SPOT5
      SPOT6
      SPOT7

2. Blade_125

Blade_125 Chieftain

I would like to join you, but could you confirmt he date. Dec 15 is a Monday. Do you mean Dec 13?

3. Korias

Korias King

Yeah. Thats what I get for using numbers on the pad instead of the keyboard :crazyeye:

4. Korias

Korias King

While there has been a significant lack of enthusiasm, I still intend to hold the game. On the Gamespy forums, it will be called "CFC-CoOp", password "Friend". I will begin the hosting at 2:30, and if nobody has entered after 3:30, then I will leave to adjourn the game to a later date.

5. Korias

Korias King

There were no connections. Oh well. Untill more intrest is accumulated, this plan will be put on indeffinite hold.

6. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

7. Korias

Korias King

Thanks for the intrest dankok8. As soon as we can get at least two more people (A game of five is workable, eight is IDEAL) then we could go through with it. But the date for the game will always be on a weekend, primarily a saturday.

8. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

I think this kind of game will work best if you set it up for a certain say 3 hour period (make sure you specify what time zone you're basing it on). Then you can get the players to come in and go at it for a reasonable amount of time, save, then continue from where we left off the previous week. If you can come up with that and it meets my schedule, i'd join. Also if you think the third type of play is less competitive than the other two, i'd beg to differ. Now competitive with more thought and planning involved, that might be true.

9. Korias

Korias King

Welcome to the Forums DioAurion, and yeah, I've got to agree with you. A threeh our period may be best. However, as for competitive, Most games dont allow for the opportunity for co-operation, meaning that they're by nature, competitive. All scheduling would be done based upon EST, Weekends only. When does your schedule allow for a time to play?

10. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

Things will be hard to schedule since it's the holidays. On a normal Saturday though I can usually schedule a good 3 hour period when you want it. I'd be in for this Saturday though.

11. Blade_125

Blade_125 Chieftain

I love the idea of a 3 hour period an then saving for the next week. I am usually good with Saturdays, although earlier in the day works better for me.

(FYI I looked for you last saturday but didn't see the game posted)

12. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

Couldn't make it last week, computer was in the shop all weekend. Did anything happen?