Friendship with Russia

JimboThrasher

Chieftain
I don't know if its just me, but i almost always find russia as a vaulable ally. Catherine is usually a powerful ally and never doesn't dow me unless she is super close. if i find her in a game i almost always choose her as my main ally.

If i have a domination game i can usually count on her help keep other civs busy and then just take her capital after a couple nukes to win the game.

on other games she keeps the civs near me busy while i get ahead with standard D.

This is assuming she is reasonably close to affect my sphere of interaction.

Does anybody else like her as an ally or is it just me?

Also, on a side note that prob deserves its own thread, do you think we will ever see multiple AIs for the same country? Everybody talks about what civs they want or dont want but i really liked the choice of specific leaders within a specific country like in the end of BTS Civ4 edition.

My experience seems to be contrary. I've been backstabbed more times by Catherine than any other AI, most of the others seem to have the common courtesy to be very open about their loathing.

Multiple AIs for one nation would be interesting, But I doubt it will happen. I'd rather they add more civilizations than leaderheads personally.

Depends on how close to her borders you are, the game, I THINK the civ you are playing (one time I was Wu Zetian and she gave me the cold shoulder first encounter).

Just like Genghis. Hiawatha too, if not for the fact that... it makes my blood boil every time I remember that game.

I don't remember ever having a bad relationship with Cathy. All the other female leaders however (Wu Zutain, Elizabeth, Isabella), however...

I don't remember ever having a bad relationship with Cathy. All the other female leaders however (Wu Zutain, Elizabeth, Isabella), however...

Best if she's on another continent.

Even then, make sure she doesn't settle damn squats on your own!

Best if she's on another continent.

Even then, make sure she doesn't settle damn squats on your own!

I was more worried about the waves of Conquistors she sends at you while warring.
I'd like to take that cross she's carrying and cram it where the sun dosen't shine. :mad:

yea, smallfish and carnifaux, I think it has alot to do with how close your borders are. If she is a decent ways away i know that i can count on her until the end game. I usually expect her to backstab me eventually but i know shes aggresive and usually loyal as long as i don't approach her territory.

Yeah, I agree. I haven't ever played a game where she isn't my closest ally. Typically, my closest allies are Catherine, Hiawatha, Genghis, Napoleon, Washington and Augustus, though typically Genghis backstabs me (One for ME being a conquering menace) and Washington grows colder as the game goes on.

My enemies usually are Ghandi, Elizabeth and Wu Zetian. But Catherine is always my friend. And she's a great trade partner due to her vast pool of resources.

Catherine is cagey in my experiance. She's trustworthy as long as she's far, far away from me.

Washington tends to be a bit of a sociopath, breaking himself on my armies over and over again until he's wiped out. He's the only person I've seen DoW me when I've cut him down to a single city.

Ghandi...well...Ghandi to me is what Kirk was to Khan.

Oddly enough I've always gotten along famously with Mongolia.

Elizabeth is easily my most hated rival. The words I would prefer to use for that particular AI's behavior would not pass the filter. I seem to be in a constant state of denouncement with her, which can last for ages before we ever go to war.

Elizabeth is easily my most hated rival. The words I would prefer to use for that particular AI's behavior would not pass the filter. I seem to be in a constant state of denouncement with her, which can last for ages before we ever go to war.

She does seem to be a bit of a sourpuss but at least she's open about it

I have the same opinion of Cathy. She's usually pretty helpful to me as an AI, and often find myself putting her in my game prior. She rarely sucks and dies early like other AIs tend to do, and she usually has cash and is willing to use it to help me out.

I have never... NEVER... played a game where Elizabeth was in the game and she liked me. She rarely actually goes to war with me unless I start it, but she'll troll around and denounce you the entire game. Luckily she tends to just denounce everyone in spite because she sucks at expanding which makes it so everyone's happy with me when I finally rage and just start taking her cities.

Ayup. And she always gets a quick science/tech/military advantage on me, unless she gets a really lousy starting situation. And once she DoW's on me, I've often seen her refuse to offer a reasonable peace settlement for the entire remainder of the game, even when I've handily repelled her attacks repeatedly, with huge losses for her. I could have decimated her military for three or four consecutive invasions, over as many eras, and have her down to one infanty unit and a squad of ornery girlscouts, and she'll still demand all of my gold, every one of my luxuries, and all of my cities except my capital. I know what those words are, to which you refer...

Bad neighbors: Catherine, Napoleon, Elizabeth, Montezuma, Augustus, and of course who can forget Songhai.

Always have war dec'd me even though a turn before they were friendly. But as others have said if they are on another continent then it is usually mild. But Russia can be wiped out and she still won't agree to peace.

I think some of the reason i like to have her as an ally is because i usually like to create smaller civs to win by science or culture. I agree that ultimately later in the game she is a terrible neighbor, but until the industrial era shes usually more help than not. When i don't want to field a huge army i can use russia to troll some specific civs.

I like Cathy too.

But Elizabeth... she is a headache, acts very coolly and even if you manage to get friendly with her, you can't really trust her...
One good thing though, even if she denounces and mocks you, she doesn't attack without a proper force usually, doesn't take risks I guess.

Cathy is always friendly, even when she DoWs me. She seems to be the only AI that recognises it's a game and we're still "cool" even when she DoWs!

Top Bottom