From now on, how many years will it take, until the first live-action theater Star Wars movie bombs?

From now on, how many years will it take, until the first live-action theater Star Wars movie bombs?

• Total voters
Episode IX might bomb depending on how "The Last Jedi" is received by fans. Although I didn't mind "The Force Awakens" a lot of people in the Star Wars community saw it as a sin against the franchise so if they view "The Last Jedi" the same way, then fans may start jumping ship by the time Episode IX rolls around.

About the time when Michael bay makes one.
Star Wars Episode XXX
Return of the X-Treme X-Splosions!!!

They're marketing the movies to children, so I don't think they will ever bomb. Children mostly don't care if a film is bad.

They're marketing the movies to children, so I don't think they will ever bomb. Children mostly don't care if a film is bad.
While true, it is entirely possible that they throw billions in production value at a terrible movie that still doesn't do well. It's a long shot but I don't think Star Wars is immune to this. Kids movies do flop and a string of bad movies will make adults less likely to pay high ticket prices.

I think it would take probably 5 bad SW movies (both main and side stories) to get to a true flop.

I for one won't see Ep IX in theaters if Ep VIII follows the same rehash trend as the force awakens. I liked that movie but I am not as interested in continual soft reboots.

Children mostly don't care if a film is bad.

The words of someone without kids. Kids do care if a movie is bad, they just have different criteria for determining whether or not a movie is bad than adults. It's also pretty easy to tell if a kid doesn't like a movie. My oldest daughter hates Star Wars. She tries to hide it because I like Star Wars and she thinks it will hurt my feelings if she says she doesn't like it, but it's pretty obvious she hates it when ten minutes into any Star Wars movie, she asks if we can watch or play something else.

When the new one comes to Netflix or TV (whichever comes first) I'll watch it just for nostalgia's sake - Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. But my enthusiasm for Star Wars died with Han Solo.

And I still haven't been able to force myself to try the prequel movies again.

I've already answered this question on another thread: Episode XIV, Return of the Midichlorians.

Episode IX might bomb depending on how "The Last Jedi" is received by fans. Although I didn't mind "The Force Awakens" a lot of people in the Star Wars community saw it as a sin against the franchise so if they view "The Last Jedi" the same way, then fans may start jumping ship by the time Episode IX rolls around.

This is nothing compared to the sort of hate that was in the air during the airing of the prequel trilogy..

To answer OP's question, never. They are going to milk this cow until it starts dipping in the ratings and revenue. They'll pull the plug before a movie bombs in terms of revenue, they're not morons. They have this exact scenario in mind I'm sure and understand that by releasing 1 Star Wars movie every year they are going to eventually start boring people. Expect twists, "different takes" on the Star Wars universe, etc. but yeah eventually they will probably say "Ok next year no movie", so that people slowly start missing Star Wars again.

It's not like the movies are going to be raking in hundreds of millions of $ and then suddenly only $30 million. The trends will be visible in the previous' movie box office revenues, and there's no way they're going to continue on their current war path if the movies start tanking commercially.

Having said that, some of these movies are going to bomb in terms of being bad movies. This has already happened.. But Star Wars fans are not easy to scare off...

Meh. To me the basics of Star Wars is that first trilogy that I saw in the theatres before Lucas started mucking around with everything. Alan Dean Foster ghost-wrote the first movie novelization and wrote another novel that might have been made into a movie (Splinter of the Mind's Eye). I've got my Han Solo and Lando Calrissian novels, the first trilogy in VHS (pre-Lucas-meddling), some favorite action figures from the first trilogy, and that's good enough for me. The rest isn't important.

It's never gonna tank. :3

The entertainment value of the prequels skyrockets if you watch them as comedies.
I've found the best tool to watching the prequels is the "scene skip" button.
Talking about trade negotiations? Skip!
Lucas writing romantic dialogue? Skip!
Forgot how bad the CGI was? Skip!

I was seriously underwhelmed with Force Awakens. It covered no interesting ground and was just sort of dull. There was only one scene that tapped into the part of my brain that caused seven-year-old me to jump up and down in excitement - and that was the scene when the X-wings fly in fast and low over the lake like the cavalry to the rescue. Beyond that, meh. The ending space battle was rubbish too. JJ Abrams hasn't encountered a lighting effect he doesn't like and the battle was way too confusing with flashing lights and shakycam.* Rogue One had a much better space battle.

*Seriously, some of the best space battles were in Babylon 5. Nice slow camera pans so you can see the great battleships unloading heavy broadsides, or the wings of fighters coming in fast and hot for a strafing run.
And, of course, the excellent soundtrack by Christopher Franke. I can't even remember any of the themes introduced in Force Awakens. If I can't hum any of the themes, it wasn't a very good soundtrack.

I didn't like how much the X-Wings flew like toy drones, pulling off impossible maneuvers. I'm used to impossible maneuvers in sci fi of course but they seriously looked like toys that a child's invisible hand was flying around the set.

I feel like I have to repeat that overall I did like the movie even if it wasn't my favorite.

Talking about trade negotiations? Skip!
Lucas writing romantic dialogue? Skip!

But these scenes provide some of the best comedy gold. Liam Neeson deadpanning that the negotiations never took place in Episode I is just...

It covered no interesting ground and was just sort of dull.

I felt that way about it too. And I thought the cartoonish buffoonery of the villains compared very poorly to Tarkin and Vader in IV.

I didn't like how much the X-Wings flew like toy drones, pulling off impossible maneuvers. I'm used to impossible maneuvers in sci fi of course but they seriously looked like toys that a child's invisible hand was flying around the set.

:mischief:

They'll milk the Star Wars until it's a pathetic shrunken husk and then toss it's corps into the mass grave with all the other dead franchises.

Star Wars is a pretty fat cow so it'll probably take a long time and Disney will rake in billions. But I think the Han Solo movie is going to be beginning of the end. At least it's they're getting an early start.

Yeah I am actually a lot more hopeful for the Han Solo movie than the next episode. I have no real desire to see that one, even, fearing just more disappointment.
I have said it before and I say it now: The prequels may be bad, but they had vision. They tried to be something. And I still find that something intriguing.
The Force Awakens was just completely forgettable to me.
Rogue One wasn't exactly good, but it had this drive to be something interesting and I appreciated that. And well that end scene, Menacing, but in a still solid and not overblown, classy way.

Top Bottom