1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

From the eyes of 'Mad Max' Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by retro V, Jun 9, 2006.

1. retro V

retro V Prince

Greets, esteemed Civvers.

Firstly, as my first post is a new thread, sorry if all I'm doing is clogging up the boards, soiling the consecrated ground of the Civ Modding scene, the fruits of which are to me a source of enjoyment and indeed respect. Great games here.

I come in Peace, and seeking a new game. A post-apocalyptical future of Mankind, from the eyes of Mad Max, or Waterworld's Kevin Costner, that old chestnut. A nuclear war has obliterated all civilisation as we know it, blah blah, where a few pathetic survivors forge an existence from the scattered remains of a time noone remembers.

All I have so far is a few random scribbles on paper. Imagination is not my forte. Does anyone want to throw some ideas this way? Has anyone already thought along these lines before? Can anyone head up a potentially unique and enjoyable modding project?

Looking around these forums I've found a lot of historical and fantasy mods. Played most of the fully furnished ones. R&D, Mystara and AD to name but a few. And I loved them all. But I've always wanted a futuristic take on things, but without the high-tech, extra-terrestrial aspects of some already existant mods. So a post-apocalyptical world of the future would combine the 'post-natal', 'dawn-of-man', 'ancient age' aspect of Civ that I love, with a futuristic, 'anything goes' vision of a world yet to be.

Any good? Load of pants? Any feedback welcome, but most of all, are there any like-minded people out there?

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Well, the Fallout mod is in the making :)

I suggest you make what makes you happy, and don`t worry if others will like it :)

Welcome to CFC! :wavey:

3. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

the Fallout Mod will be done in a while, and its a post-apocalyptic scenario. i think its just what you're looking for!

oh, and WELCOME!!!!! :beer: :band: :bounce: [party]

EDIT: cross-post with the stormer

4. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

Welcome to CFC!!! [party]

I like post-apocalypse scenarios. :) Don't be afraid to post your ideas here- anyone is welcome to contribute! If you want to learn to mod, there are some great tutorials (see my signature for example) and plenty of people willing to help.

edit: cross-post with Quinzy!

5. retro V

retro V Prince

All very encouraging so far, thanks a lot.

I did notice the fallout beta, but having never played the RPGs (I know, I haven't lived), felt unable to contribute. But I will see what I can do there to try and learn something.

OK, so what have I got so far? Not a lot really. There will be humans, obviously. Has anyone watched the series, Lost? A plane crash-lands on an island, one half of the plane lands on one side and become a semi-utopial, functional group of survivors who live in peace and harmony with each other. The other half land on the other side and are imediately set upon by the 'Others' and therefore become a desperate, 'each for their own', survival of the fittest, slightly more hardcore and loosely organised group. They would make two ideal human civilisations. Other humans could be like the Smokers from Waterworld, militaristic and expansionist.

See where I'm going with this? Yea, non-humans. Maybe there's another one of those Robin Hood Catastrophe's in evolution, can't remember exactly what it was called. Wild animals become a super-species variant of their former selves, which give us our beloved barbarians. Or even another civilised race. Of course, I thought of a mutated human race, with increased intelligence, making them scientific.

In a post-apocalyptic world, as I imagine it, and as Mad Max and Waterworld portray it, basic resources are scarce, like drinking water and fossil fuels. Population growth and miltary strength should be based on these resources, respectively.

My left brain runs out of steam around about here though. Would be nice if some other new guys or anyone want to jump in here and get creative. Could be some potential in this type of mod.

6. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

lots of pointed sticks.. yes.. pointed sticks..

7. retro V

retro V Prince

YES! And maybe the odd heavy rock...

After all, only the heroes had a working Smith & Wesson revolver with like 12 bullets that lasted the whole movie and never missed.

Civs would only discover ammonium nitrate as an explosive in the late first age, and perhaps only for use as artillery. Discovery of long lost underground bunkers would be a second age tech, or a return of flintlock firearms for superior military units.

8. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

flintlock, make-shift armour, hand-granades and molotovs, and other such items would be cool. as stormie said, go for it! maybe in a few weeks when i finish my mech units, you can throw a few into the last age! who knows..

9. retro V

retro V Prince

Started drafting the first era, just to give you all a basic feel of things to come, and what's missing.

How it all starts:
    Some people have broken away from their scavenging clans and settled down to start healthy family lives, raising children together with the prospect of a better future. So the first advances will most likely be...

Cultivation.
    Rather than foraging for their next meal, the people begin to tend the lands for long term food for their families. This gives us worker units and the irrigation unit command, and maybe a bonus resource like wheat or rice.

Fermentation.
    Man's self-destructive tendencies survived the apocalypse, and alcohol becomes as popular as it ever was. Distilleries or breweries can be built to improve happiness. Barley or wine appears as a bonus resource.

Domestication.
    Cattle and horses appear as resources when people learn to tame these beasts of burden, just as their ancestors had once done.

With these advances comes the possibility of...

Trade.
    Since money has no value in a world without shopping malls, food, livestock and good old fashioned moonshine become the new currency. So you have to learn these prerequisites first, then learn the Trade advance to make the Build Roads unit command available.

Hopefully this will limit the economies and faithfully create an era of pessimism and strife in keeping with a new post-apocalyptical world.

10. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

sounds spiffy!

11. Blaze Injun

Blaze Injun Night Radio KYSE

Hey,

The first era sounds too post-apocalyptical for a "Mad Max" Mod. If you wanted it closer to that try a book called "Alas Babylon". A short novel about a small town in florida post nuke. It was wrote in the 50's. Salt became the main trade good for the town. They also had a weather station shortwave radio. They used wind to power some of the buildings. Rail systems were used to travel by but not on trains. Roads were to dangerous.

Have you looked at the Warlords of North America mod? Personally one of my favorites.

Anyway just a few ideas.

Thanks,

Blaze Injun

12. BG_Zero

BG_Zero Chieftain

A fallout mod!Great idea man!

13. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

No, this is not a fallout mod.. fallout has its own thread ;)

14. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Check out "A Boy and His Dog" (movie starring very young Don Johnson /story written by Harlan Ellison) for ideas about various civs.

15. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

I have started a post apocalypse scenario (link from sig). If you want to draw ideas from that then feel free.