1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrated with Bysantium

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Abraxis, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Is anyone else frustrated with Byzantium? When I saw them I was excited as a strong navy and strong religion were always my main focus in Civ4, and the play-style I find the most fun.

The part that I find frustrating however, and maybe it's just my preferred map setting, but... well, Byzantium's UA is awesome on paper, and everything I would want. The problem is they have absolutely no advantage in actually acquiring a religion. Maybe this is alright in small games, but on huge maps with plenty of other civs, it means even if you are able to grab a religion before they're all gone (only 7 on large with 22 ai), you're going to be left with the scrap abilities no one else picked.

The UA is only really any good if you manage to pick two abilities with some nice synergy, but being left with the few no one else wanted, you're pretty well forced to pick them randomly.

Maybe I just suck and I'm missing something, but that's how it seems to me and it's a real buzz-kill.

Has anyone found a way to really leverage this UA? or just their whole kit in general? I really want to like them :(

2. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

try to get Shrine ASAP and stone henge. You will be able to find a religion. Try to explore and settle Faith natural wonders and find faith in ancient ruins.

3. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

I must have played at least a dozen games since release, and I'm yet to come across a faith ruin...

4. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

im having a fun game withem on ITR

5. Flaviusx

Flaviusx Chieftain

They're a powerhouse civ for me, haven't lost with them yet. (Meanwhile, I'm finding Austria to be severely overrated.) Even if I can't roll a start with a nearby faith natural wonder, I always beat the AI to stonehenge. (It doesn't seem very interested in it.) One or the other of these is enough to get the ball rolling so far as religion goes. If you get both...boom.

I think they are better off with a liberty start than tradition. You get more faith this way thanks to multiple shrines, more chances to find natural wonders, etc. But I do transition over to tradition and fill it out eventually.

6. prince_caspian

prince_caspian Prince

The most reliable way to get your religion with choice beliefs is to rush Hagia Sophia, and that is really ironic given that it's a Byzantine wonder and the purpose of tweaking HS to giving a free GPR instead of a mere GP was to discourage the same-old HS rush. Now religion has made it even MORE important.

7. Flaviusx

Flaviusx Chieftain

I've never needed to build it. By the time it comes along I've usually pumped out 2-3 GP already and don't really need more. Stonehenge is the key wonder here, HS is much too late in the game for a religion rush.

8. The A.K.T

The A.K.T Warlord

i am playing a game currently with Buzantinium. They are really strong. I choose a bonus belief where i get 1 exstra :c5happy: per city following my relegion. VERY strong. Their ships has allso been a great help but i didnt used ther Cataphrats so much.
    Overall a very strong civ.

9. Radu_Magus

Radu_Magus Warlord

I allied myself to a Religious city-state (+4 faith) and soon enough I could found my religion.

10. Zet

Zet Warlord

From among the new civs, Byzantium is one of the strongest in my opinion.

11. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

I find that Byzantines are the only civilization in this game who MUST found a religion in order to actually be useful in the game . Fortunately,the religion race in G&K isn't a matter of living or dying,unlike Civ4,which is something that indirectly helps them .

12. Silenus

Silenus Chieftain

I play on large maps with 12 AI and I understand your concern about getting a religion in time. Prioritizing shrines is important, as is getting Stone Henge or working the +6 faith natural wonder (if you're lucky enough to have it nearby). Even so, Boudica always beats me to the founding of a religion!