FRUSTRATED with ENEMY ROAD maintenance!

lordsurya08

class-A procrastinator
I conquered Bismarck this game and he was ICSing mad, with RRs all over the place. With every city I was taking (and razing) I was forced to deal with an unlikely challenge: railroad maintenance. Within a few turns I had accumulated almost 80 gold per turn's worth of railroads that were no use to me. Desperate and pissed, I indulged in a bit of cheating and upped worker speed to 200% so that I could remove those RRs faster.

I have a better idea: a separate interface where you can choose whether or not to pay maint on roads, buildings etc. If you don't pay maint, you lose the benefit of trade routes and super speed, and after a few turns it "decays". That's what I would do with all those annoying enemy RRs.

I conquered Bismarck this game and he was ICSing mad, with RRs all over the place. With every city I was taking (and razing) I was forced to deal with an unlikely challenge: railroad maintenance. Within a few turns I had accumulated almost 80 gold per turn's worth of railroads that were no use to me. Desperate and pissed, I indulged in a bit of cheating and upped worker speed to 200% so that I could remove those RRs faster.

I have a better idea: a separate interface where you can choose whether or not to pay maint on roads, buildings etc. If you don't pay maint, you lose the benefit of trade routes and super speed, and after a few turns it "decays". That's what I would do with all those annoying enemy RRs.
That would be very good. In order to avoid exploits and to keep it simple you could just have a choice upon city capture: "do you want to keep captured roads/rr or not?". If you choose no the roads disappear after 10 turns (in order to allow the former owner to recapture the city with the infrastructure intact, if he is able).

IMO this should be taken into consideration when you invade. Either bring some workers to tear up the unneeded roads/rr, or be sure your economy can absorb them.

IMO this should be taken into consideration when you invade. Either bring some workers to tear up the unneeded roads/rr, or be sure your economy can absorb them.

Yeah, I actually enjoy the aspect of reworking the empires I capture. Makes me feel like I'm actually making changes when I invade. And I really don't think it's unfair or asking too much of you that you actually need to consider them in your invasion plan. OP's idea is needlessly excessive.

Yeah. It's not a major issue for most players in the first place I get (I've never been bothered by enemy road maintenance personally), and if it's such an issue, bring some workers that have probably been sitting around idle anyway, and put them to work.

IMO this should be taken into consideration when you invade.

Wait, you mean the enemy isn't just going to give their empire to me on a silver platter just the way I like it? That's terrible! :cry:

We have the option to sell buildings we don't want. Why not roads and rail?

Chosing whether or not to pay for road/rail maintenance seems pretty staight forward.

I like the idea. I wish new how to code so i could deliver it to you on a silver platter:D

I just bring wrokers along when I invande.

Can we remove road outside the borders of our civilization if they were built by a different civilization?

E.g. If I conqoured the Aztecs and raised a few cities, do I pay maintence on the roads that are now in neutral territory but were in mine briefly? and can I remove them?

I don't get it.:confused: I always complete/upgrade the road/RR network first thing after I conquer a city. Why do you want to get rid of the RRs? Certainly the 80 gpt upkeep is more than compensated by the increased Trade Route income. OK, after reading your post for the 3rd time, I realize you are conquering & razing. Each to his own, I guess, but I always conquer & puppet. Therefore I never encounter the kind of gold problems that you seem to have. Like I said -- to each his own -- but I think my way is way better!:p

I just bring wrokers along when I invande.

I don't know why but this made me laugh out loud. a little optimistic are we?

But I don't mind acquiring the maintenance costs of roads or railroads when I puppet.if they are too much to maintain I'll have workers destroy them. usually its not a problem because im generating a good amount of GPT by the time railroads come along.

I generally run a worker group only a few turns behind an invasion force, tearing up unnecessary roads and laying down new roads. I generally overdo it for roads in that case in general; a few gold for additional mobility while fighting the war is worth it.

After the war is over, I take another pass, eliminate redundant/unnecessary roads, ensure everything's hooked up properly, etc.

Good strategy with workers as a decoys for counter...hehe.
My thoughts goes in direction that workers also should have upgrades like the era in which they operate ( for instance basic worker could do just irrigation, roads and mines, advanced worker could build newer mines, roads with additional moving bonus and later railroads which basic workers could do). Basically that means not automatically upgraded bonuses which happens when you advance to the next era - this could happen as soon as your upgraded worker transform or upgrade the mine, road..). This also means that workers will always has a lot more work to do.
Just an idea..

Personally, I find the idea that you have to tear up railroads in order to make the city/your economy run better an absurd one. Tearing up RRs is exactly how I would start running a newly conquered territory :crazyeye::rolleyes:

Yeah. It's not a major issue for most players in the first place I get (I've never been bothered by enemy road maintenance personally), and if it's such an issue, bring some workers that have probably been sitting around idle anyway, and put them to work.
Wait, you mean the enemy isn't just going to give their empire to me on a silver platter just the way I like it? That's terrible! :cry:

The point of the thread is: "is doing that any fun?"

I find dealing with unhappiness from conquests to be not fun at all. Therefore I want the option to automatically kill a specified segment of the conquered city's population in one turn.

Hate to say it, but if the few turns it takes to remove them with your workers is bankrupting you, you need to plan better. It should be a temporary minor annoyance at the worst.

Civ is about fun, yes, but also needs to be challenging for most players to keep enjoying it. If there were no negative repurcussions to warmongering (of which this is a minor one) the game would quickly lose its cachet.

Good strategy with workers as a decoys for counter...hehe.
My thoughts goes in direction that workers also should have upgrades like the era in which they operate ( for instance basic worker could do just irrigation, roads and mines, advanced worker could build newer mines, roads with additional moving bonus and later railroads which basic workers could do). Basically that means not automatically upgraded bonuses which happens when you advance to the next era - this could happen as soon as your upgraded worker transform or upgrade the mine, road..). This also means that workers will always has a lot more work to do.
Just an idea..

I think what you mean is that WE have more work to do, it would just add tedium where it doesn't need to be. When I unlock a new tech I want to think "yay my mine gets an extra hammer and my production will increase" or "yay my food will increase and so my cities will grow faster" Not "OH FFS NOW I HAVE TO TELL THOSE ANNOYING LITTLE PRICKS TO GO AND BUILD SOMETHING AGAIN".

You mean tiles outside of your culture borders? Sounds like a bug to me.

They should only count roads that are used in your trade network for maintenance, and roads within your borders. That should fix it easily enough.

Top Bottom