FTS-01 The Accountant Wars

Since we don't have copper, let's find out if we have some iron!

Roster Check:
Conroe
Foolonthehill
Ozbenno
Asperge - Just Played
pigswil - UP for 15 turnsl
Nares - On Deck

Gonna need to correct turn counts at some point. Asperge went 20.

As for Philosophy, we need Mathematics before the GS pops. We also need Mathematics to open up Construction for the Disposapaults we'll need in the increasingly likely event we are unable to secure metal.

Sailing is still very much a priority.

sorry, 5 turns to much.

Will advise next player put some culture in Medina not through obelisk but with help of the confusian missionaris who's doing nothing in Mecca, and 10 turns of no-religion > how nice is being spiritual!

Attachments

• Civ4Screenmedina.JPG
    Civ4Screenmedina.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 114
Got it. Now what to do with it? We're 4 turns from AH so we'll finish that. If we've got hosses then I'd say build chariots while researching pottery then sailing then iron. I'll probably move the missionary to Medina to get some culture going. If no hosses then iron next followed by pottery,sailing. If no iron then archers and construction beeline; hook up stone; build some walls At this point workboats are as useful as galleys for exploring.
How many turns have I got?

pigswill said:
How many turns have I got?
Why don't you and Nares play 15 turns each. Then, we will assume a normal 10 turn rotation.

Ozbenno said:
The Oracle also comes in. I take Agriculture as the free tech to give the worker something to do.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol: As if I'd take Agriculture! We revolt to Bureaucracy and Caste System.

Jeez!! You just about gave me heart failure with that one......

Originally I was thinking we could try to get the prereqs for Theology and then pop the GP for that before founding the second city (to give all three religions in the capital.

But I don't disagree with the direction you headed because we were getting pretty wimpy with one city and limited infrastructure.

I assume we got Confuscianism in Mecca so we have two religions there. It might be a good idea to pop the GP for one of the shrines. We'll need at least one more GP for the other shrine and then we should be able to build a nice income in Mecca.

Conroe said:
CS Slingshot on Monarch! :goodjob:

Amen to that! [party] :beer:

And at 1240BC. I've never gotten one that early even on Prince.

I think the map helped a lot as we didn't have to worry about barbarians and you were able to start the Oracle so early.

I really hope we have iron. I'd love to see maces pre-AD.

Hello chaps. Very dull turnset I'm afraid to say. Perhaps it will liven up at some point. Anyway here's the rundown:-
Turn 1. Start missionary to Medina. Warrior moves to Medina. Catherine declares war.Worker quarrying away.
Turn 2. Finish temple.Start warrior.
Turn 3. Finish warrior.Start warrior. Missionary arrives in Medina and converts its grateful inhabitents to Confucianism.
Turn 4. Finish warrior. Start workboat (getting bored with warriors). Move warrior to Medina. Finish AH, no horses. Start Ironworking.
Turn 5. Catherine's galley pillages fishing nets. Finish workboat,start moving it to Medina. Start a warrior. No culture in Medina? Convert to Confucianism. Culture in Medina. Meet Victoria. She's Cautious and a follower of Kung Fu Tze. Map expands a bit.
Turn 6. OB with Victoria. Another russian galley turns up, starts chasing poor defenceless workboat (what a bully). Finish Warrior. Start walls in Mecca.
Turn 7. The chase continues. Quarry finishes, worker starts building road.
Turn 8. Poor defenceless workboat arrives in Medina, cowers in the city. Mecca finishes walls, starts Confucian monastery.
Turn 9. Zzzz.
Turn 10. Lord McCauley reports some cheerful news; we're only the second smallest civilisation. Victoria is smallest. Catherine is largest. Finish Confucian monastery. Start Hindu monastery.
Turn 11. Good news, Catherine is willing to talk. Bad news, she says 'peace,what is it good for, absolutely nothing'. (-6 this war is ruining our relationship,hmm).Worker finishes road, we have access to stone, hurrah.
Turn 12. Finish researching iron-working. Start researching Sailing. Iron in desert south of Medina. Start a mine (seemed like a good idea at the time). Finish Hindu monastery, start Chichen Izza (not much else to build).
Turn 13. Zzzz
Turn 14 Zzzz. Cat founds another city near us. Must have metal coz its got a spearman. She also has hosses.
Turn 15. Zzzz.

So that's where we're at. 1 turn to finish sailing. 2 turns to finish mine. At war with Cathy, changed religions,met another neighbour. As I said, a dull turnset.

We have iron! :banana:

Roster Check:
Conroe - On Deck
Foolonthehill
Ozbenno
Asperge
pigswill - Just Played
Nares - UP for 15 turns!

Thoughts on tech: pottery after sailing. Could go poly,mono, theology slingshot (need to do this soon or Cath beats us to Christianity) or maths, construction.

Thoughts on tech: pottery after sailing. Could go poly,mono, theology slingshot (need to do this soon or Cath beats us to Christianity) or maths, construction.
So how do I delete a double post?

:agree: Galleys and swords, and few axes too ...

I agree that Pottery should be next after Sailing. After that, I would lean more towards MC and Machinery to get Macemen. Even though Catherine is Creative, we can get by at this stage of the game without a Catapult. But, if we wait too long, then Math/Construction would be the way to go.

We probably should have burned our GP for Monarchy when we had the chance. HR would be nice with all of these Warriors hanging around. It would have allowed more liberal use of the :whipped:. Oh well, that's the thing about hindsight, isn't it? Building the Confucian shrine will bring in 2g and allow us to move the research slider back up to 100%. I really don't care about founding Christianity; but, an extra 2xp from Theocracy would be good right now.

I notice in the save that Catherine has a couple of Galleys parked off the coast of Mecca. That means we will need to send ours out in pairs or we will lose one for sure. Let's crack the whip on the Galley and see if we can't get a feel for her defences ...

Nares, you appear to have some interesting choices to make ...

Asperge said:
i'm the only one who likes pyramides :cry:
Pyramids and Great Lighthouse have already been built. We have 12 turns left on the Chichen Itza.

I just got the save. Should be around to it sometime in the next six hours or so.

There's mostly good news from my turn set.

Turn 0
Moved the Work Boat in Medina to the Fish. Don't know who left it there, but it was apparent Catherine wasn't bothering with it (she probably doesn't even know it exists). Also dropped Chicken Itza from the build queue in Mecca, and replaced it with an Axeman.

Turn 1
Sailing completed, set research to Monotheism. Built Fishing Boats and moved the Worker to the Desert Hill NW of Medina. Mecca switched from Axeman to Galley. Medina switched from Barracks to Lighthouse.

Turn 2
Worker set to build a Mine. Whip a Galley in Mecca.

Turn 3
Galley completes in Mecca. Switch production to another Galley. Victoria adopts Organized Religion (good; hopefully she'll spread Confuscianism while she's at it).

Turn 4
Galley completes in Mecca. Switch production to a third Galley. Taoism FIDL.

Turn 5
:sleep:

Turn 6
Monotheism completed. Set research to Pottery. Burn Moses for Theology. Switch civics from Paganism to Theocracy. Christianity founded in Medina. Galley completes in Mecca. Switch production to an Axeman (partially competed from Turn 0).

Meanwhile, I move the newformed Arabian Armada into attack range of Catherine's Galleys.

IT - Catherine sacrifices one of her Galleys on our Armada (31.9% chance for victory; no way I'm taking those odds by attacking her...).

Turn 7
Axeman completes in Mecca. Switch production to Swordsman. Reposition our two uninjured Galleys to bait Catherine into attacking again.

IT - Catherine sacrifices her remaining Galley on one of ours.

Turn 8
Spread Christianity to Mecca via Missionary. Disband 0XP Warrior in Mecca (go from -1gpt@90% to +1gpt@90%; he must have been unionized:lol:).

Turn 9
Pottery completed. Set research to Mathematics.

Turn 10
Swordsman completes in Mecca. Switch production to Galley.

Turn 11
Whip Galley. Swordsman/Axeman board Galley in Mecca bound for 1SE of Yaketerinburg (sp?)

Turn 12
Galley completes in Mecca. Switch production to Swordsman. Set Worker to build Cottage near Mecca.

Turn 13
Swordsman completes in Mecca. Switch production to Swordsman (should have been Axeman; oh well). Swordsman/Axeman pair disembarck at destination.

Turn 14
Lighthouse completes in Medina. Switch production to Barracks. Pillage Pasture (6g) 1SW of Yaket...(you get the idea).

Turn 15
Swordsman completes in Mecca. Switch production to Axeman. Move Swordsman/Axeman pair 1SW and discover St. Petersberg.

We now rule the seas. Just make sure to utilize Coastal terrain to your advantage if you ever encounter another Galley of Catherine's. Her fatal mistake was to attack ours. For those who don't know, there's a 10% tile defense bonus on Coastal tiles. Much better to defend than to attack in Galley -> Galley combat. Notice the positioning in the screenshot from my report. The AI is more likely to attack the individual target, and even if she won on those 31.9% odds, I would have had a second Galley in place to kill her's.

We've got the Swordsman/Axeman pair wandering around near St. Petersberg. There's some Horses nearby that would be worth pillaging. You could also have them join up with some more forces from Mecca in order to go take out her Iron source, though I can't guarantee that's her only metal.

Meanwhile, Medina is almost online. In three or four turns, it will be pop 4, its maximum for production. I don't really think it's worth whipping the place, and I can't recall what the happiness or health limits are on it, but pop 4 is about the current max it can reach anyway. The only future growth for that city is into Coastal tiles, of which there are 11 within its radius, IIRC. Still, better to work the hammers at this point.

There's a GP coming up in Mecca in two turns. There's a very very high chance it will be a Great Prophet, which means we can build the Confuscianism shrine. It's also conceivable that a Work Boat could be snuck in some time during the next few turns in order to get those Fish back online near Mecca. Then we could run a Scientist more regularly while not hampering production, and hopefully pop a GS, though once we research Construction, the GS's next tech should be partial research of Engineering.

Research wise, we're looking at Mathemetics in four turns. Then we can chop a forest or two around Mecca to help facilitate this war. We'll want Catapaults sooner than later, as well. Catherine is not only Creative, but she also has Judaism on her side, and she's founded some cities on hills. We _could_ get Macemen researched in time, but not produced in significant enough quantity, I think.

Overall, Catherin's a pain. Worse is that we don't have land north, east, or northeast of us to settle (it might be there, we just can't get to it). This means we must fight Catherine, and she really really dislikes us. I don't think it's worth giving her peace until we've cleared her off that first island she's on (should only be Yaketeringberg, St. Petersberg, and Moscow on it, maybe on more straggler). Only keep St. Petersberg and Moscow, would be my advice.

Here's the save.

Top Bottom