1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Fuel of the Future

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scotland_no1, May 29, 2003.

1. scotland_no1

scotland_no1 Jimmy Hat Salesman

Well i have decided to stop posting on all the political threads for a while (becuase most of the time i just get slander) anyway... enough of that , i should get to the point :p

I was wondering what people think the fuel of the future should be, If we wnat a nice clean and beautiful planet then we shoudl start thinking ahead for when oil runs out. There is an international treaty preventing the drilling for oil on the south pole, i hope this never happens, and if it doesnt it means oil will run out within most of our lifetimes.

We need a feul that can be clean, cost effective and efficient, a fuel that can revolutionise power plants, cars and a substitute for all the plastics that oil makes needs to be created. post what you would like to see to protect you planet in the future here.

I would like to see the use of hydrogen as the main feul substance for cars and power plants. take a look at this simple chemical equation for example.

H2+O2=H2O

if burning hydrogen with oxygen creates water then i think it should be used.

I suspect that within 30-40 years scientist wil develop fusion reactors, this we we can split the hydrogen atom for energy, well these are my ideas. post yours

scotty

2. scotland_no1

well im off to watch my nature program ,so ill check what people have written the the morning, cya!

3. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

LOL

Burning hydrogen in oxygen = explosion, not water:D :D

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Actually you get both.

I'm going with Solar/Wind and fuel cell storage

5. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

I agree with Perfection: fuel cell storage, in various forms, will be the fuel of the future.

6. stalin006

stalin006 Deity

some sort of fusion or Fision, cold fussion perhaps :p yeah right

7. Ohwell

Ohwell Deity

I believe there are several prototype fuel-cell cars in existance and they work decently, of course they are expensive to make and there are still problems to be fixed. I imagine within 10 years they will be released to the public and for a decent price.

8. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Two questions:
    1) How do you transport and store the H2 prior to use
    2) How do you transmit it to a vehicle and store it on the vehicle. This stuff is NASTY dangerous.

J

9. Anti-EUA

Anti-EUA Prince

my guess would be solar! cheaper, no?

10. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Deity

Actually no!:p
    Solar is good if you have at least 10 hours of good sunshine, (not misty foggy light), without too many clouds around.
    Plus, the amount of power generated per unit is about 4 times costlier than coal and gas and the amount of power generated by solar power plant is far less than a coal powered plant of similar cost.
    Sorry, but Solar is useful, but it cannot be a source of cheap power.;)

11. Kakashi

Kakashi smile, because I hate you

well if you used hydrogen and oxygen to make water then youd have to make a stop to empty your water tank every time it gets full, right?

I read in a magazine that a car company (forgot which one) is in production of a car that uses oxygen to run and disposes carbon dioxide (or vise-versa, I can't remember which one) Sounds good , hugh?

12. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Deity

Yes, but the Oxyen cannot be taken off the atmosphere, but has to be prepared by industrial methods which only add to the pollution and increase the costs of transportation:p

13. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator Moderator

Actually its 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O :mischief:

Need to be a bit careful with hydrogen. Whilst its a great step, water (vapour) at ground level, especially in built-up areas will cause climate change of its own. Humidity will increase, and I think that the benefits / detrements need to be carefully evaluated.

And storage is a bit difficult, as it has a very wide range for its flammibility limit. Overall though, I do think its the way of the future. :)

And BTW- cold fusion is not the complete crock that many have dismissed it to be. Excess energy has been found within deuterium electrolysis, that can only (really) be explained by fusion. However, the experiments are not repeatable, as no-one really understands or can predict a mechanism for it to happen. And the wattages are tiny.

In today's scientific community, non-repeatability = quackery.

14. allhailIndia

allhailIndia Deity

Perhaps "hot" fusion could provide us with a better alternative.:hmm:

15. TNG

TNG Sad, sad little man

Well if we start using Hydrogen to power cars and other stuff, the oil industry will start to collapse, unless they buy the oil and extract the Hydrogen from that. But water is a much cheaper source.

16. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

Which is exactly why petroleum corporations and the Republican party will/are doing everything in their power to hold such fuels back. Greed is a very ugly thing.

17. SunTzu

SunTzu Hooah Retired Moderator

yeah and i'm sure the democrats wouldn't do the same thing, but if this was a democrat prez you wouldn't be saying what you said now would you? :rolleyes:

18. scotland_no1

hydrogen under pressure is a liquid, so that is storage,

hydrogen can easily be made form sea water, so that is collection.

hydrogen is just as flammable as the feul oils we use in oir cars now.

remeber no liquid burns. it is the gaseus vapours above the liquid that burn, so if hydrogen burns in pressure then there isnt much of a problem, and there is no pollution.

P.S. remeber fire is oxygen, so burning hydrogen makes water

and for you ainwood... balancing the equation :p
    i dont think humidity would increase in scotland too much, it rains a lot here, but you are probably right about desert countries and warmer ones.

still... spacerockets use hydrogen as a feul, so its not really that far away, i see no reason why it cannot be harnessed.

i wonder if those fusion power plants you get in sim city will ever become a reality, fusion gives of so much power when you split hydrogen that it is very difficult to harness. the reason it gives of so much power is because hydrogen only has 1 outer electron, which means splitting it releases much energy. you would have to split the diatomic hydrogen molecule first though, which could be expensive, but i think we should carry on with renewables like wind until we can get fusion and hydrogen powered cars.

19. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

If fusion power becomes a reality, then I bet that all cars will work on electricity, as it will become the cheapest source of power.

20. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

Even if (and its a big if) we get fusin to work, we will still need to find a way to store that energy in a light and compact form. Current battery technology cant deliver that. I understand that Iceland is exporting her extra energy - from geothermal and hydroelectric stations - in the form of hydrogen fuel cells.