1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Game-Customization

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Korias, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Korias

Korias King

Since I'm not exactly sure where I would go to ask this question, I'll put it here untill a friendly face or a mod comes by to tell me where it needs to go.

A big part of Civ 4 is strategy. Determining what strategies work for what civilizations is a key aspect that you would use to play the game. What traits, what unique buildings, what tactics, terrain, ect work best with each different Leader and Civilization.

Now, the bets way I can figure to get all this done is through a multiplayer game, where you can finetune all the civs to your hearts desire.

Now, to speed up the fun little tinkering process, The World Builder function could be used to place specific terrains, city locations, and other things to help with this process. (The alternative is the Debug tools, which provide even more options, but require game surgery to use)

And here is the contradiction: A Multiplayer game cannot use the World Builder or Debug tools.

This throws a very large and heavy wrench into my otherwise logical planning. Now, is there some sort of gamefile or modification that can be (re)written to allow debug tools/WorldBuilder to function in a multiplayer game?

Thank you in advance for any answers, helpful or otherwise.

2. GooglyBoogly

GooglyBoogly Freakamongus

You could use worldbuilder to create a scenario, and them play multiplayer off that scenario. That way you can run the modifications without the restriction problem.
    However,finding other players willing to take a punt at your scenario is another issue entirely.

3. Korias

Korias King

So If I create the map in Singleplayer, and then load it as a multiplayer, it'll work?

Thank you so much for this information.

4. Firestorm94

Firestorm94 zuh?

there is a custom game option, if that's what you mean, it has all of the options other than the ones pertaining to multiplayer (simultaneous turns, turn timer etc.)see screen shots

5. Korias

Korias King

Yeah, The custom game option is good and all, but I'm refering too in-game alterations. Where you can spawn UnitX to fight Unit Y on Terrain Z, Or see how many of unit X it takes to conquer a city with Units A, B, And C on it.

6. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

You want to do that in multiplayer? Out of curiosity, why not straight on single-player/WB?

Anyways, just get a friend to game the system with you and do this.

7. Korias

Korias King

In Multiplayer, its superficial. One player playing eight sides lets me figure out all the nifty things, and its harder to plan the exact experiments I want to atempt.

While getting some pals would work, getting them to takepart in teaching me the strategies that I would subsequently use to wipe the floor with them seems rather daunting :p