1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Full new Gods & Kings technology tree, details, and civilization information

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JonnyBigBoss, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

what is up with these unique units with no special promotions???

2. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

That was my thought exactly when those units went up on Arioch's Well of Souls. Why not make the extra belief Byzantium gets be "All cities get a free harbor and your units can walk over mountains" and make them completely indistinguishable instead of 67% indistinguishable. Basically Carthage vs. Byzantium comes down to if you're on a script with ocean and whether you think Theodora or Dido is hotter. Way, way too similar for two civs that were introduced at the same time. Awful design decision IMO. Especially when you consider how much potential both civs, especially Byzantium, had so many avenues you could explore for uniques. (I realize Quinquerimes and Dromon are very different, but come on. Both UUs are replacing the same unit. In two civs released at the same time. Really?)

Maybe they should have given Carthage Numidian Cavalry again. Then at least two of their three characteristics would have been highly similar to two different civs introduced at the same time instead. :sad:

[edit]Unrelated, but wow Ceilidh Hall looks incredible. Almost reminds me of one of my favorite UBs from CiV: the Hammam. Essentially negates the happiness penalty for founding cities once you get them running. Yes, there's a huge opportunity cost there (takes a while to get there, not a building you'd build everywhere in a lot of games), but it's still likely to be very powerful. Between that and the UA, they seem poised to be an enormously powerful civ in just about any situation.

Still hopeful that my favorite civ from IV will see me through though! Small continents here I come! ^^

3. JonnyBigBoss

JonnyBigBoss Chieftain

I work for gamerevolution.com. I received a review copy of G&K last week and played the heck out of it.

4. Captain Fargle

Captain Fargle Prince

You have to also remember that the Dromon is the ONLY ranged ship in the game before the Galleass. That's a pretty big unique thing for Byzantium.

5. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

I hope it's not Pikes-GWI. Pikes-Rifles is bad enough, having such a weak unit sitting around next to useless until you get from Civil Service all the way to Rifling (which is on a different path entirely). If anything it would be much better if they upgraded to Muskets. Would make historical sense too, since lots of pikemen were peasants with pointy sticks, while many musketmen were peasants with pointy sticks that also shot little hunks of metal out of their ends.

Although the fact that Pikes got a much larger strength buff than their contemporaries (10 to 16, I think, whereas I believe Longswords went from 16 to 20[?]) means that this may not be as necessary. Would still be nice from a gameplay and simulation perspective though.

Yeah, but that's not that huge of a deal IMO. Because then they don't have a melee ship during that era. So it's sort of like having the archer replace the warrior. Yeah, it's cool you get ranged units when no one else does, but you don't have any warriors.

Unless their bonus against naval also applies to defense (on reflection, I guess there's no reason it wouldn't), in which case, assuming it's 25%, they can defend themselves from strength 10 Triremes at strength 10. And still get sunk but Quinquerimes! :p

Bah double post madness! There's no way to delete your posts, is there?

6. Calouste

Calouste Deity

You can go directly from GW Infantry to WWII Infantry, which costs two techs. But for researching two techs, you can also get Flight and Ballistics, which gives you Fighters, Bombers, Machine Guns and Anti-Tank. I know which path I'd rather take when I am at war.

There's a big gap between Muskets and Riflemen btw, even though it doesn't look like that. Muskets have 13 prereqs, Rifles 31.

7. The Peacekeeper

The Peacekeeper Chieftain

The Austriaan Coffee House and Mayan Pyramid seem like great UBs. The Pyramid seems especially powerful with early faith and science bonuses in one building. I think it will be a Shrine replacement.

8. homerj

homerj Deity

True. In vanilla, muskets were always something to skip unless you really needed melee before rifles and had no iron or there was a UU there to take advantage of. I was just wondering if GWI were going to be the same way.

Only way will be to play through, and see how the techs all match up. There's a lot of stuff in G&K that is going to toss most strategy out the window. Maybe even muskets will end up being useful due to tech costs.

9. RonMar

RonMar Warlord

In America, Industrialization was introduced before Steam Power. Water power drove the earliest factories. There were far more water-powered factories before there were a large number of steam-powered factories and they were exceedingly economical. Thiis was especially true in northeastern American where the natural drop in elevation of the rivers and streams at the eastern begining of the Piedmont geographical formations made the Northeastern colonies/states the early industrial power of the new nation: Pawtucket, RI and Paterson, NJ rival one another as the early industrial cities. They were followed by numerous other cities and town. They still have numerous old mill buildings taking advantage of dams and water wheels. They were numerous in New England.

10. Describer

Describer Chieftain

wait, so pictish warrior doesnt have faith-kills as we were presuming? damn, that entirely changes my plan for my first g&k game :(

11. Gintoki89

Gintoki89 Warlord

It does, 2KGreg was playing the Celts earlier when he was previewing the game and he was definitely getting Faith kills. Guessing it's just a typo.

12. JonnyBigBoss

JonnyBigBoss Chieftain

It certainly does. It receives 50% of the strength of its victim upon kill as faith. Let me update the guide. Thanks.

13. Oregano

Oregano Freelance illustrator

Didn't see if anyone else had responded to this:

It's correct. "Modern" doesn't mean "contemporary." In this case, think "roaring twenties" and you're closer to the mark. The Atomic Age would be the equivalent of the 50's and 60's, with the Information Age being roughly now.

~S

14. Barghaest

Barghaest King

Anyone else appreciate the humor of WW2 era infantry being under "Plastics"?

... or am I the only one who used to play with all those? Oo

15. Describer

Describer Chieftain

Ah, I see. Its easier to get if you name it Age of Modern, not Modern Age.:) Then again, using that logic they should have named the last era Age of Postmodern. And bring in some Andy Warhol related wonder :)

16. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Yeah, that's clever. But it also fits since 1939 was the big Dupont display at the World's Fair.

17. Liex

Liex King

In many countries it is considered that the modern age ended in 1789; from then on, we're in the contemporary age. I really don't know what comes next.

18. Hyper Nova

Hyper Nova Warlord

Anyone else notice you can get to Rocketry without needing the bottom row of tech all the way back to Gunpowder. So for Rocket artillery you don't need to be able to know Chemistry or Dynamite which contains the 2 preceding siege units. This seems rather odd.

I know in vanilla you could skip Rifling and get Infantry without having Riflemen but thats pretty odd that they seemingly have fixed that by Rifling being required for Replaceable Parts now. But that Have added such an odd gap.

This will mean if I could have Trebuchets around while I can Build Rocket Artillery but I can't upgrade my Trebs till I learn Chemisty?

19. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

LOL, just saw this-hoses are a vital resource ;-).

BTW, is Copper a Luxury, Bonus or Strategic Resource?

Aussie.

20. Hyper Nova

Hyper Nova Warlord

Copper is a luxury

you can find all the information in the manual just got to the player manual in steam G+Ks manual is now available