Fully 3D Camera Angle

Tigernose

Chieftain
I would like to see a fully 3D camera angle when playing Civilization 5. This means, preferably using the middle mouse button, you can orbit the map and look at it from all angles. I think this could give the game a more organic visual feel, so it feels like you're playing on a planet, and not on a flat board.

To execute this, you would need a spherical map, a fullerene essentially. Hexagon tiles with 12 pentagon tiles can achieve this, so I hope hexagon tiles actually come into place. There are a few threads that dwell on the spherical map isSue.

The screenshots actually suggest such a feature. So would you like it implemented? And do you think this will mean a spherical map?

If they do this, I hope they provide a reset button to put it back to the default view in case of accidentally moving the camera.

As for the spherical map - I find this very unlikely.

Most threads that discuss spherical maps have concluded that this will not happen. I won't enter another discussion on that matter, though.

On the camera controls, you could try this in Civ4:

- Set 'AllowFlying = 1' in CivilizationIV.ini
- Start a game
- Press Alt+Ctrl+F

It doesn't consider the globe spherical, though. But then again the world isn't spherical in Civ4 (either).

Yeah, but a spherical world would utilise this feature to its highest potential.

I have a laptop, but I use a mouse with it. :p People without mouses would use the key combination alt+cursor key to move around the map, as that is always the alternative to using the middle mouse button in any orbit-using software. And yes, a reset button is essential.

Not much time till realse so I suspect a slim chance of it being implimented if it isn't already incorpertated.

Only my guess though.

I'd like this idea and agree that a simple reset would be needed.*2MMB or something.

A full 3d camera is a very bad idea for modders, because it means you then have to model all four directions of the building.

I prefer a 180 degrees camera, so that i only have to model the same thing i would do for fixed isometric :)

Civ4 already has a fully movable 3D camera. I don't know how to activate it though as I don't see the need. Something in GlobalDefines.xml or CvEventManager.py

Civ4 already has a fully movable 3D camera. I don't know how to activate it though as I don't see the need. Something in GlobalDefines.xml or CvEventManager.py

I'd like to see it in action.

I already tried explaining this, but here goes again:

On the camera controls, you could try this in Civ4:

- Set 'AllowFlying = 1' in CivilizationIV.ini
- Start a game
- Press Alt+Ctrl+F

It doesn't consider the globe spherical, though. But then again the world isn't spherical in Civ4 (either).

Would be nice (but I'd prefer it not be mapped to middle mouse button or be user bindable).

I'll go so far as to say that a 3D environment is needed to ensure CivV has the same 5 year reach that Civ4 has. Yeah, i'm biased, my want for a FinalFrontier3D mod, but it also makes sense progression-wise. It would be a major paradym shift that would set a new base game play (everyone else would be playing catch up) and the real world (yah want our soldiers to be mentally stuck in a 2D perspective when in the field?).

Note that you don't have to force 3D, if your system can handle it, great, if not stay with the base 2D+ world outlook. To limit an software environment because of hardware limitations is counter-growth. For the modders difficulties, tuff! They are a clever bunch and will be able to think their way out of the maze.

With a 3D world I easily see a CivVb and CivVc expansion, without I don't see a Civ6.

I'll go so far as to say that a 3D environment is needed to ensure CivV has the same 5 year reach that Civ4 has. Yeah, i'm biased, my want for a FinalFrontier3D mod, but it also makes sense progression-wise. It would be a major paradym shift that would set a new base game play (everyone else would be playing catch up) and the real world (yah want our soldiers to be mentally stuck in a 2D perspective when in the field?).

Note that you don't have to force 3D, if your system can handle it, great, if not stay with the base 2D+ world outlook. To limit an software environment because of hardware limitations is counter-growth. For the modders difficulties, tuff! They are a clever bunch and will be able to think their way out of the maze.

With a 3D world I easily see a CivVb and CivVc expansion, without I don't see a Civ6.

Of course, not having visual changes with this will make Civilization V feel like the same game over again. I understand you don't want to change the base formula Firaxis, but when you've introduced hexes, superior graphics and screenshots from different angles - you have to publicly release the 3D Camera Angle guys!

Like i said, from a pure modding perspective it would not be a good decision.
Imagine the leaderheads being something seen from all angles. The result would be that a lh maker would have to work up to twice as hard (180 degrees more to model) than if the camera is generally fixed.

So i would vote for a 180 degree movement, as in Paradox Interactive's latest games ;)

I only stated that I'd like to see it in action. I haven't played CIV for a long time.
Well, duh. Play [civ4] and see it in action. :splat:
And no, I don't care too much for 3D or however many D. Not just because it makes life more difficult to modders, but also because it doesn't add much to the strategy of the game for me (and it'll make it harder on my hardware while at the same time making it harder for me because I'll lose the perspective; humans generally like to see things from one angle).

Top Bottom