Fun 1700 AD games

adhiraj.bose

Deity
The 1700 AD start can be fun for quick aggressive games. I just finished a good French run. Started with conquering Spain from the get go, and training settlers. Then turned to Austria, conquered Italy made them capitulate. Then ended up fighting a war with Portugal, took Lisbon. Then turned my guns on the Prussians. By now I had despotism and nationhood in my civics and quickly amassed the largest army in Europe. Poland was briefly my vassal but collapsed within 20 turns or so, didn't matter, just took Prussia and they had Polish land. The Russians never fought me openly just kept peacing out. I settled all over the mid-west and part of Canada within my historical zone. I fought a brief war with Britain for Toronto timing it with the American spawn, and that gave me 40% of North American territory. I added a few more cities, and by 1800 had 45% or so both in Europe and America. After I noticed the Dutch building the Eiffel tower I took out Amsterdam as well and used the golden age to get the wonders in time. I would have won the UHV by 1830 but messed up using the Great Engineer I got finishing the Eiffel Tower before the Statue of Liberty. The latter took much longer to construct from Marseille. I played it on Marathon.

Another fun game was playing the Dutch in 1700. It was almost too easy, but its a fun speed run to see how fast you can get the UHVs done.

Has anyone tried a Domination game with 1700 AD ? I'm tempted to try on the Chinese.

Both Russia and the USA have an easier time with Domination victories than with their UHV's (with the former, no matter the scenario you start with this is true). You have all the necessary elements for success: big cores, solid civ modifiers, sufficient/great starting tech situations, and good starting armies to jumpstart the conquests.

I've tried China before (just as a free-form game) and found that their 1700 AD start is brutal - huge inflation modifiers, backwards tech, fully improved land means you hit Recession very quickly, crummy civ modifiers, and then a large GPP counter. You'll notice you fall behind Japan very quickly, and if you attempt to conquer to expand, your Economy can't keep pace to offset the various stability maluses; plus, expanding out of your Core/Historical means you lose Isolationism's stability bonuses which hastens your collapse. Pretty brutal time all-in-all. Not like it's impossible to do a Domination (or any other victory) on the 1700 AD start with them, but it's tough.

Domination with France or Britain is also an option, given their developed (and populated) cores, large starting empires, and huge Historical stability maps.

The 1700 AD start can be fun for quick aggressive games. I just finished a good French run. Started with conquering Spain from the get go, and training settlers. Then turned to Austria, conquered Italy made them capitulate. Then ended up fighting a war with Portugal, took Lisbon. Then turned my guns on the Prussians. By now I had despotism and nationhood in my civics and quickly amassed the largest army in Europe. Poland was briefly my vassal but collapsed within 20 turns or so, didn't matter, just took Prussia and they had Polish land. The Russians never fought me openly just kept peacing out. I settled all over the mid-west and part of Canada within my historical zone. I fought a brief war with Britain for Toronto timing it with the American spawn, and that gave me 40% of North American territory. I added a few more cities, and by 1800 had 45% or so both in Europe and America. After I noticed the Dutch building the Eiffel tower I took out Amsterdam as well and used the golden age to get the wonders in time. I would have won the UHV by 1830 but messed up using the Great Engineer I got finishing the Eiffel Tower before the Statue of Liberty. The latter took much longer to construct from Marseille..

You sound exactly like Napoleon, albeit on steroids :hatsoff:

You sound exactly like Napoleon, albeit on steroids :hatsoff:
That's why it was so fun xD . I loved how whimpy the Germans and Russians were in this game. I put my army next to Frankfurt and the Prussians just ran ... the RAN ! The Russians didn't even try to attack my vassals ! I was tempted to take out Kiev but I decided against it :p .

I might do France for domination one time.

That's why it was so fun xD . I loved how whimpy the Germans and Russians were in this game. I put my army next to Frankfurt and the Prussians just ran ... the RAN ! The Russians didn't even try to attack my vassals ! I was tempted to take out Kiev but I decided against it :p .

I might do France for domination one time.
Why not Mughals? Their UB provide any stability boost?

The Mughal UB doesn't give a stability boost as far as I know. I tried a USA domination game, but kept hitting a wall on population. Basically I have 36% of world population and 25% of territory, but the pop counter keeps rising for some reason. it hit 42% when I crept up to 36%. Now I'm basically just racing to get the population goal but it isn't working. Can someone explain how the pop counter goes up?

I tried a USA domination game, but kept hitting a wall on population. Basically I have 36% of world population and 25% of territory, but the pop counter keeps rising for some reason. it hit 42% when I crept up to 36%. Now I'm basically just racing to get the population goal but it isn't working. Can someone explain how the pop counter goes up?

You need to have 20% more of total population than any other civ if I am not mistaken. The condition being 42% means that somebody else has 22% of world population.

You need to have 20% more of total population than any other civ if I am not mistaken. The condition being 42% means that somebody else has 22% of world population.
Ah that's Russia. So I guess my cheesy strategy would be to stockpile nukes and bomb their cities till they get blown back to the stone age and I'll get the pop score automatically :p . how are vassal pop scores calculated ? is it 50% or the whole ?

Top Bottom