Fun civilizations for emperor level?

Acrobatc101

Chieftain
I have played three games on this level so far.

I won with America on my first try.

Lost with Zulu and Aztec on my 2nd and 3rd so far.

The one with America was a blood bath though against Greece mainly when I was running -2000 gold per turn.

My best Emperor win so far was with England on a continents map. Those Longbows and Ship of the Lines are absolutely devastating, was a rather easy domination victory.

I always disable science victory and time victory because those end the game prematurely

But culture, domination, and diplomatic are fair game

Arabia, Ethiopia, and Sweden are my personal favorite civs at Emperor, and as they can all go for any of the victory conditions you have enabled they might work well for you.

Sweden comes with the Gods and Kings expansion pack, along with 8 other Civs and a few scenarios (all the mechanics from Gods and Kings were ported into Brave New World, though, so you really don't "need" GnK.) Actually, Ethiopia was introduced in GnK as well but was included in BNW for the "Scramble for Africa" scenario.
In the absence of Sweden, then, might I suggest Poland? Their bonus Social Policies can help you with just about any victory condition.

I think you'd probably enjoy The Maya, who are one of the top-tier civs in general and very adaptable for different victory conditions.

Emperor is a difficulty where you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you focus on it to the exclusion of other things you want.

If you want to dominate religiously you can, but you might not get that certain wonder you want.
If you want Petra in your capital, you can get it, but you might not get the Oracle.
Etc... Until you pass the technological singularity, then it's essentially a sandbox.

I keep losing to cultural victories even though I feel like I'm about to start tipping over into a victory.

There is always a runaway civ that I could defeat given enough time but then they culture victory me, which I don't really know how to stop

I find it hard not to win a culture victory by turn 300 on emperor, the result of sandboxing all game with no real focus and my obsession with digging up all the things...

Is your capital on production focus all game in a vain attempt to build all the wonders?

Top Bottom