1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Funday Monday #3: The yes man!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by redwings1340, Feb 1, 2016.

1. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

I'm back! For those of you who haven't followed this before, I've enjoyed writing stories where I have to follow certain rules in order to make the game more challenging and force me to play differently than normal. My first game was one where I had to be building soldiers a third of the time. My second game was a succession game. And now, almost 2 years later, I'm back with a third!

Ashurbanipal of Assyria was really good at a lot of leader things. Unfortunately, his settling crew was without a diplomat who could successfully talk to other leaders. He could have isolated himself, but realized that would make him a hinderance to human progress, so he decided upon a bolder plan. He drew a line in the sand around where he wanted his capital to be, and announced that because he had no diplomat, anyone, from anywhere, could enter his palace and declare an ultimatum the empire had to follow. Anyone who stepped in to that palace would be treated as the emperor, and no assyrians would ever venture outside of their lands to other palaces.

The rules:

1) I may not enter the AI's diplomatic screens. This means no declaring war or offering trades unless another AI asks me to do so.

2) I must accept any and all offers from the AI, and can not say no to them. That means, I must declare war immediately if they ask, I must accept any and all peace treaties they offer (so I could basically just lose if I have no military), I must accept all declarations of friendships, and accept all trade requests.

3) I may not offer the AIs any diplomatic alternatives to their request.

Difficulty is emperor!

Lets do this!!! :D My first post will probably be this weekend.

2. tamijo

tamijo Chieftain

Looks fun. I will follow this.

3. Dahebbie

Dahebbie Warlord

Hey Redwings :)

Hope you continue this. Have read your other great stories a couple of times back when they where written and enjoyed it alot! Fun stuff. You and "Mister Civ-report" himself Thawk (http://www.dos486.com/civ5/index/index.shtml)
    are my favorites to read.

Ohh wait. Let me put this in a way, that a Yes-man must react to: Play the game now and report your story as best you can! No further delay accepted!
    :lol:

----
    On another note: Have you tried Acken's minimalistic balance mod? That mod is just splendid, it makes the game much better than the standard bnw and you should give a try.

Best,

4. Dahebbie

Dahebbie Warlord

5. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Hehe, sorry, I've had a tough few weeks recently. I'll try to play this when I can, but I have a pretty busy schedule and my health hasn't been superb recently.

I'm glad you're interested though, so I'll try my best.

6. Dahebbie

Dahebbie Warlord

Hi Again

Sorry to hear that your heath is troubling you. :(
    That is just never easy to cope with. Have had my share of that to, so you have my sympathies all the way :)
    Hope you are healing well and will enjoy reading your story when you find the time and strength to create it.

Have you tried Acken's mod?

Best,

7. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

This update is four months late, but it's here!!!

The leader of Assyria established his empire, having no understanding of the price his diplomatic style would pay. He wished to be friends with the world, and sent out scouts to explore the entire continent. His scouts, led by Alice the bold, found ancient ruin after ruin, giving the empire much needed culture and technology to compete with the outside world. This wasn’t her biggest find, however, she also found a set of mines so vast, and so powerful, she wondered what happened to the civilization that carved them. Truly, this civilization should have conquered the world by now, but they didn’t, so she decided that Assyria should take it and conquer the world with it instead.

Alice and her team found spain to the south, an Austrian scout to the west, and Russia to the east. Of all of these, she had the worst feeling about Spain, and advised Ashurbanipal to prepare for Spanish aggression. While Ashurbanipal had no desire to go to war, he agreed with preparing the military, having plenty of experience dealing with Spanish aggression in past universes.

Preparing his cities and ensuring he had archers for defense was a tall task for Ashurbanipal, and delayed his development considerably. He created one city to the south to get King Solomon’s mines, but didn’t create more. He started the tradition tree to ensure powerful city defenses and impressive capital growth, and had Alices second in command, Eddie the explorer, enslave a worker from Bogota to help further the development of his empire.

As Ashurbanipal was focusing on development, city states came to him with a problem. They were looking around their land for trade route possibilities, and had no idea where Austria was. Alice was pretty sure that Austria was somewhere to the west, but barbarians and mountains blocked the pass Eddie was trying to cross. Ashurbanipal mobilized his archers to provide safe passage for Eddie to cross the mountains, and just as he was starting to get through the camps along the way, an emissary from Austria arrived at the city, inviting Ashurbanipal to an exchange of embassies. Once he accepted the deal, four city states congratulated him on opening up new trade routes for them, and one allied Assyria in jubilation.

For the most part, other civilizations were reasonable in offering trades, wanting to exchange or sell embassies, or buy Assyria’s extra cotton, but Catherine of Russia decided to take advantage of the Assyrian model of diplomacy. Catherine brought an emissary to Russia, and on the journey there, four of her horses got sick, and couldn’t make the return trip. To speed up her journey back, the emissary decided to leave the horses in the stables of Assur, and when the castle was distracted trying to figure out how to house sick horses, she picked some cotton from our fields. Assyria’s only consolation was that while picking the cotton, she dropped a map of Russia in our fields.

Upon seeing the benefits of faith from a friendly city state, Ashurbanipal decides that along with developing his cities and researching the art of philosophy, he will build a monument to his diplomatic skills. This monument, called Stonehenge, will be completed in six turns, and will be sure to anger Spain considerably, and get her closer to declaring war on us.

The current situation: (screenshots will be updated tonight)

Spain is currently my biggest worry, both rationally (soon to have a competing religion), and irrationally (I have multiple times had several millennial long wars with spain that have completely crippled me in the past). I’m developing a bit more slowly because I need to have the appearance of a good military in this game, otherwise the AI will take cities from me in peace deals. I probably want to get the national college and get composite bows, before hoping that spain declares war on me at some point soon. When I’m done with the national college I plan on expanding to a couple more cities quickly. Russia will probably be a problem eventually, but as long as Catherine still has room to expand, she probably won’t be.

8. Dahebbie

Dahebbie Warlord

Did Spain steel your screenshots? :cry:
    Nice to see u back with writers pen in hand :)