Funday Monday Game #1: I play, You play, We all play a Lets play!

redwings1340

Emperor
My semester just ended and I'm on Winter Break, so I'm officially free to do one of these stories. I've gotten deity out of the way, so now I want to do more fun stories that will force me to be creative instead of being optimal. Funday Monday is a reference to Day9 from starcraft 2, who spends 6 days a week teaching starcraft, but spends one day a week imposing conditions on people and telling them to submit games with these restrictions. Usually the restrictions make for fun games, but the challenge in this is learning how to overcome these restrictions and play well anyway, and it can lead to interesting strategies that people would never attempt otherwise.

I've been thinking about what I want to do for a while now, so I decided: What if our Civ leaders weren't immortal? Instead, let's play a game of Civ together! Everyone who wants to join will take 35 turns, no less, and no more, before passing on the game to the next person in line until we win or lose. No using save states unless you lose completely or get in a position where there's nothing the next person can do to save your civilization from being annihilated. You get one run of 35 turns, and that's it. I will start the game, but what happens next is up to you!

I will probably begin this game tomorrow, but I want to play as a generalist civ who has good benefits no matter what victory condition or playstyle we go for. One of the things I hope to get out of this game is to put people in situations they aren't normally in when they play an entire civ game, as everyone will favor different aspects of the game. I'm thinking maybe Austria, The Incans, or Indonesia, with the Incans currently being in the lead. I'm also thinking the game difficulty should be emperor to allow for a range of skill levels, although if everyone is comfortable playing on Immortal I could boost it up to that.

When you're done with the 35 turns, post a save state to the game and a write up detailing what happened. Our write ups are our next player's guide to world history, so the more detailed they are, the better chances we have of not messing things up. Don't worry if the write up isn't especially high quality though, not everyone is CountAccountant, so you don't need to try to make it to his standards unless you want to. If you need help putting a save file on here, well, I'll need help with that too, but I've seen people put it up before, so I'm sure there's a way to do it that isn't too difficult.

So, I hope we have a lot of fun this game! Try to post on this today or tomorrow if you're interested in joining. If less than 8 or 9 people want to do this some of us can just take multiple turns and that's fine.

I'd be up for a go at this...haven't really tried a succession game but I'd be happy to give it a shot! The Inca sound good; what difficulty would we be playing on (I can win Emperor but suck horribly at Immortal and Deity)?

Oh, shoot, apparently there's already a form for games like this. I thought I was being so creative :(. Oh well, it still sounds like a fun idea.

You can always ask a mod to shift this to the Succession Games forum ;). Again, I'm still more than happy to give this a try, though.

I'll do it, although I don't have any DLC except the two expansions and Mongolia. So, if you were planning on using DLC civs, then don't not do it just for me.

Emperor and immortal are way out of my league, but, oh well! I'll do my best. It's only thirty-five turns. :rolleyes:

This seems fun, I'm comfortable at Emperor. Same as Heerlo I only have 2 expansion packs and Mongolia.

I can do it I'm comfortable on Emperor & I have G&Ks and BNW and I think all DLC. Also this'll be really fun because the stories and lets plays community is always great :D

Forgot to mention I have all DLC (except the Scrambled Nations map pack) and GnK + BNW. Still, as @Heerlo and @JS_9001 want to join I'd say we ought to pick a non-DLC civ.

Forgot to mention I have all DLC (except the Scrambled Nations map pack) and GnK + BNW. Still, as @Heerlo wants to join I'd say we ought to pick a non-DLC civ.

Also if there are any AI DLC civs me and Js_9001 won't be able to join. But like I said, you don't have to change your selection just for me.

If you didn't have BNW, then I might not change, but in that case we don't need to use the Incans. I can just turn off DLC in the game, thanks for the warning! There are 43 civs in this game, all pretty good, so changing isn't a big deal. I'm leaning towards Austria now, but I'm not entirely sure about it.

It looks like I'll set the game difficulty to emperor. Hopefully some of us can dig us in to holes, and others will have to put us back up again. :)

I disabled all DLC content in this game aside from G+K and BNW. Game difficulty is emperor, map size is large, and I think there are 12 civs instead of the usual 10. Map type is continents.

The universe was born in a ball of fire and flame, and out of it a red austrian empire emerged, one that would transcend the boundaries of space and time and defeat the world in an as of yet unknown competition. A lone settler and a warrior emerged, and they looked at the world with awe and splendor. They saw the glorious jungles of the north, the stupendous food from jungles of the south, the great trek through the jungles of the east, and the magnificent jungles of the west. Looking at this world, the leaders said screw this, and hit the omega 13 device.

The universe was only reset 13 seconds in to the past, but those 13 seconds were a very active 13 seconds of computer generation, and the entire world was reborn. The vast jungles that covered the earth changed in to marvelous flood plains, incense, and desert hills, to set our capital in a marvelous Petra area. Basically, we better get Petra this game. If we can do that we should be able to win.

Spoiler :

The Game Starts
The great people voted a glorious leader to lead them through the ancient era. I, Redwings1340 was renown for my simulated civilization building skills, and was given full and complete control over all operations. To explore the surroundings, I ordered two scouts to be created before starting on a shrine, hoping for the desert folklore pantheon. To make up for the lack of culture in this strategy, I went tradition, not only because tradition is super overpowered, but also because we have the potential for a mega petra city. Tradition is the best at getting early wonders, and even on emperor getting Petra is pretty difficult.

One of our scouting parties, led by Bob the lazy, was attacked and killed by barbarians. Still, he explored a fair bit of the map before he died. Our other scouting party is doing ok and continuing to explore the world, giving us messenger raven scouting reports with their progress every few years. Our starting warrior got a ruin upgrade to a spearman, and is starting intense rough terrain training, which may have been a mistake in our desert heavy start.

Food/Production Issues
After the shrine, I realized that our capital city was not all that great for the early game, and with one dead scout, stealing a worker is harder to accomplish than it would be otherwise. While stealing a worker is a completely viable tactic in the future, possibly from Vatican city, I am hard building one for now because we need a bit more food and production to really sustain this city. Tradition helps a bit with this regard, and I bought two tiles to get a wheat flood plains tile in to our civ, but our capital is still experiencing relatively low food and production, and I can only hope our worker fixes that a little.

A New Leader
With excessive mismanagement from redwings1340, the population started to get rowdy. They loved Bob the Lazy, and recognize that Vienna is not the city it should be at this point. But who should replace redwings1340 the magnificent? While the people were debating, a strong hearted person stood up, separating him/herself from the crowd. Everyone recognized this person at once, the exalted Majah of Raspur has come to grace us with his/her presence! Nobody was quite sure where Raspur was, but the place sounded real enough, and talk of the empire dominated the land. With a powerful speech, ("I'd be up for a go at this") the land turned to cpm4001 to lead them to glory.

Tell me if that save file doesn't work. It should, but I've never uploaded a save file before.

Also, the way I'm planning on doing this is to pass it on to the person who commented first and hasn't had a chance to play yet. So, I'm first, CPM is second, Heerlo is third, JS is fourth, and Silverman is fifth. If anyone else comments on this thread and wants to do this, they can be sixth, otherwise we can use a random number generator to choose one of us or something for the sixth slot.

Attachments

• Maria Theresa_0036 BC-2560.Civ5Save
    846.2 KB · Views: 224
Improvements at Home

The rule of cpm4001, the Exalted Majah of Raspur, is still a subject of confusion to historians. Why did the citizens of Vienna choose him over their own Bob the Lazy? Why does he have such a grandiose title? And where is Raspur, anyway?
No matter the answers to these questions, his reign was first marked by his efforts to fill the void left by the great Redwings. Though some members of the populace had labeled Redwings as "inept" and "horrible at managing the city", it was obvious that he had not failed the citizens of Vienna. Much land had been acquired, a Shrine and a glorious Monument had been constructed, and the work done to open a guild of workmen to improve the nearby land would prove to be essential to the success of the Majah's tenure. Immediately upon cpm's ascension to throne, therefore, citizens were tasked to work the rich wheat fields and flood plains, as well as one of the many areas rich with the luxury of incense. Once Animal Husbandry was discovered, the horses roaming some of the grassland south of Vienna were tended to by civilians as well. Throughout his tenure, the Workers constructed a farm, a plantation, a pasture, and began a mine on a rich deposit of Gems.

The Rest of the World

Shortly after his ascension to the throne, the Majah was approached by an ambassador from the nearby City-State of Manila, who requested Austrian assistance in the fight against a dangerous encampment of villainous Barbarians. The Majah pledged Austrian protection to Manila, and Austrian Spearmen, already in the area, were dispatched to the encampment. After a short fight, they wiped all traces of the Barbarians from the area (capturing some stolen treasure in the process.) The citizens of Manila were overjoyed, and their government pledged friendship with Austria. Though relations would taper off towards the end of the Majah's reign, the food exported to Vienna during the Years of Friendship would aid the growth of that city immensely.
On the larger world stage, the civilizations of America and Russia each proclaimed a Declaration of Friendship with Austria (and later each other). It was the Majah's hope that this would lead to profit and diplomatic prosperity for Austria.

Expansion and Exploration

The scouting expedition led by Bob the Lazy continued to explore the world, periodically sending runners back to Vienna to spread the news of their discoveries. A massive Natural Wonder, termed "The Grand Mesa", was discovered to the south of the recently-founded Assyrian city of Ninevah. Though the expedition ran into some Barbarians, the team was soon promoted due to their knowledge of Survivalism. Towards the end of the Majah's reign, contact with a new nation was made. Known as "Carthage", it was led by their queen Dido. A Carthaginian embassy was founded in Vienna shortly thereafter, to promote contact between the two civilizations.
An expedition to settle new lands was proposed and dispatched during the Majah's reign as well, ultimately founding the city of Salzburg. Though somewhat hemmed in by the City-States of Vatican City and Manila, the rich Trapping, Stone-working, Whaling, and Fishing nearby lent hope to the fact that it would one day be a city of great envy to the rest of the world. Some land was later purchased from nomadic inhabitants of the region, allowing the city to reach a field of natural-growing Wheat.

Culture and Religion

Near the beginning of the Majah's reign, word reached Vienna of an unknown nation worshiping a Pantheon of Gods by telling tales of Desert Folklore. The Majah wished to imitate these unknown people, but his chief adviser alerted him to the fact that Austria's people were insufficiently pious. And besides, worshiping the same Pantheon would make Austria look like a bunch of copycats, and the Majah wouldn't want that, now, would he? Not long afterwards, a uniquely Austrian Pantheon was founded around the Goddess of Festivals. This increased Austria's culture and faith while simultaneously giving its people a chance to burn all that incense they had lying around.
The Majah also strengthened the Austrian Monarchy during his tenure, increasing the wealth and happiness of those in the capital. Towards the end of his tenure, word reached Vienna of the appearance of two Great Prophets in unknown lands and the founding of the religions of Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam. The Majah could only hope and that one day Austria would be blessed by the emergence of similar people.

The End of the Majah's Tenure:

Spoiler :

One day the Majah failed to make an appearance at a scheduled speech. His advisers, hurrying to his rooms at the palace, found that he had packed up all his possessions and left for places unknown. Upon further examination, a note was found on his desk, telling his advisers not to worry, and that he "had left to guide the nation of Brandenburg [a place unknown to Austria] to greatness" in a place known as "Europa Universalis IV".
At the speech, the crowd was getting riled in the absence of the Majah. When the advisers returned with the news, the crowd began shouting. Violence would certainly have ensued had not one of the advisers, known by the name Heerlo, stepped forward, and in a calm voice informed the citizens that he would hereby take command and guide Austria and all its possessions safely Into the Future.

Out-of-Character Stuff

I would suggest that, if no one else joins, we should just play this game out in the same cycle (redwings - cpm - Heerlo - JS - Silverman - redwings, etc.)
Anyway, it sucks we missed out on Desert Folklore; I'm hoping Goddess of Festivals might make a tolerable substitute if we found a religion and get Monasteries as a tenet. Otherwise, it isn't a bad "throwaway" pantheon if we can get another religion spread to us. In Vienna, I got our library and granary built and trained up a Warrior for some more defensive (there was a bit of a barb invasion, which is why our military units are so beat-up and that pasture is pillaged. We're one turn away from getting an archer in Vienna, and then it's on to building the Oracle (which you can feel free to remove from the construction queue; I put it in there because it's a really great wonder to have that's also easy to get ahold of.) Finally, I'd also like to point out that Manila has left a worker temptingly close to Salzburg...

Attachments

• 2013-12-21_00002.jpg
    2013-12-21_00002.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 1,486
  • Maria Theresa_0071 BC-1160.Civ5Save
    987.8 KB · Views: 102
:D That was great. If you read my story again, you may discover that Bob the Lazy was the scout that died early on, but that doesn't matter too much. I suppose I never named the other scouting party, so I guess the leader of that party may have named himself after Bob the Lazy in tribute.

Shame about Desert Folklore. I got my shrine really early so we wouldn't miss that. Goddess of Festivals is a pretty good substitute though with our start. Make sure you don't forget about Petra. It's on an awkward tech path, but I think we absolutely need it in our capital this game.

Also, using that pattern of who goes when seems pretty reasonable.

I'll do my best to guide this country "Into the future", but I have to warn you people, I'm not as good as you are. I hope I don't mess things up too bad....

I'll do my best to guide this country "Into the future", but I have to warn you people, I'm not as good as you are. I hope I don't mess things up too bad....

Half the reason I'm doing this is to get us in to situations we might not normally be in if we played the game ourselves. If you mess up, that will just make the end game a bit more interesting than normal. Good luck! :D

Half the reason I'm doing this is to get us in to situations we might not normally be in if we played the game ourselves. If you mess up, that will just make the end game a bit more interesting than normal.

Good, 'cause I probably will! :D

Count me in, folks. Always wanted to try a succession game and 35 t. rule seem great as well.

As foreseen by the great oracle of Vienna: redwings - cpm - Heerlo - JS - Silverman - Moriarte..

By the way, succession forum guys describe every turn they make, where as here you seem to tilt towards creative storytelling. Shall we all stay in that frame you started it off, or, maybe both can be used? I was thinking of using both ways. Is this fine by you all?

Count me in, folks. Always wanted to try a succession game and 35 t. rule seem great as well.

As foreseen by the great oracle of Vienna: redwings - cpm - Heerlo - JS - Silverman - Moriarte..

By the way, succession forum guys describe every turn they make, where as here you seem to tilt towards creative storytelling. Shall we all stay in that frame you started it off, or, maybe both can be used? I was thinking of using both ways. Is this fine by you all?

Awesome! :) I'm basically of the opinion that for your segment, you can do whatever you want during your write up. There's no wrong way to do it in my mind. I didn't even know succession games were a thing when I started this forum, so I'm just kind of doing this based on what sounds cool.

Do it however you want! I mean we'd lose the point if we all updated the EXACT same way :D

Top Bottom