Funniest Webcomics, Part 2 - 75% Humon Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a recent immigrant to Northwegian Dakota, and a longtime resident of Alabama, this comic is relevant to my interests.

And yes, I believe "clueless" is the appropriate adjective. Stereotypical in that wonderful SATW way, in that it's mostly true... :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Norway was very proud of their wild albino moose, which they had lovingly named Albin, and the local hunting community had agreed not to hurt it.

Then along comes a Danish hunter who hadn't herd about this rule, and shoots it. The Norwegian anger seemed like it would never end.

In Denmark the case has mainly been turned into a joke. Not because of the death of poor Albin which everybody agrees is sad and stupid, but because for a while the Norwegian media acted like all Danes ever born had put a bullet in Albin personally, when the truth is that most would run in the opposite direction at the sight of anything with horns.

Oh Norway, James Earl Jones already won the part for the big no :p.

2^15-1 is the maximum number a 16-bit system can hold. 2^15-1 is 32,737. If it reaches that point, it wraps around to -32,738.

An n-bit system can store a value as high as (2^n)-1.

An n-bit system can store a value as high as (2^n)-1.

Sort of. An n-bit system can hold 2^n numbers. Some start with 0, in which case they'll be able to store any value between 0 and (2^n)-1. Others use negative numbers, in which case they'll generally be able to store any value between -(2^(n-1)) and (2^(n-1))-1.

Two's complement.

Is a way to store negative numbers. What about it?

Sort of. An n-bit system can hold 2^n numbers. Some start with 0, in which case they'll be able to store any value between 0 and (2^n)-1. Others use negative numbers, in which case they'll generally be able to store any value between -(2^(n-1)) and (2^(n-1))-1.

I know about signed vs. unsigned, yes :) Just noting that you weren't really giving the full story.

Is a way to store negative numbers. What about it?

Just pointing out that:

I know about signed vs. unsigned, yes :) Just noting that you weren't really giving the full story.

I don't really see why you raised this in the first place, I think everyone who cared knew anyway. I think it was pretty obvious from the original comic that it was using two's complement.

I don't really see why you raised this in the first place, I think everyone who cared knew anyway. I think it was pretty obvious from the original comic that it was using two's complement.

Because I corrected the statement that "2^15-1 is the maximum number a 16-bit system can hold". Yes, it's obvious that the comic referred to signed integers. That doesn't make the statement that you can only use signed integers any less false.
Spoiler :

Because I corrected the statement that "2^15-1 is the maximum number a 16-bit system can hold".

Meh, I was just going with the simple version of why the comic was funny. :p

SS-18, yours is a red x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom