Funny / Dumb AI Stories

NyQuil

Chieftain
I think we've all encountered "interesting" decisions by the AI.

I'm curious as to what people have encountered.

To start things off:

Brasilia had 2 cities on fairly large continental island that would fit 3 or 4 maximum sized (3-tile) cities with ease.

And yet, he sent a colonist over to my land mass where I proceeded to dance two units back and forth to prevent him from landing, for the remaining 200 turns of the game until it was over.

Meanwhile, the rest of his continent stayed undeveloped for the entirety of the game - an area ripe with resources.

Moderator Action: More of a story than a general discussion item.
Moved to Stories & Let's Plays

Early game, I'm launching miasmic repulsers in my territory, next to KP territory. Still deciding on an affinity, probably going Supremacy, so need to get rid of the ick.

Kavitha pops up and asks me to stop. She's Harmony-2, so, while I can't imagine I'm doing her any harm by removing miasma this early in the game, I agree to stop. We're Friendly, and I want to keep my southern border Friendly for a while. Brasilia is to the west and I'm more worried about him. I even go so far as to delete the repulser, just to make sure she doesn't throw a hissy fit. I figure I can grab some tech not too far down the road for immunity, and use it against Brasilia if they invade.

She says thank you. She wants to keep as much miasma close by as possible, she says.

THE VERY NEXT TURN, she launches a miasmic repulser just inside her border, overlapping the same spot where mine had been.

Does the AI even know what it wants?

Early game, I'm launching miasmic repulsers in my territory, next to KP territory. Still deciding on an affinity, probably going Supremacy, so need to get rid of the ick.

Kavitha pops up and asks me to stop. She's Harmony-2, so, while I can't imagine I'm doing her any harm by removing miasma this early in the game, I agree to stop. We're Friendly, and I want to keep my southern border Friendly for a while. Brasilia is to the west and I'm more worried about him. I even go so far as to delete the repulser, just to make sure she doesn't throw a hissy fit. I figure I can grab some tech not too far down the road for immunity, and use it against Brasilia if they invade.

She says thank you. She wants to keep as much miasma close by as possible, she says.

THE VERY NEXT TURN, she launches a miasmic repulser just inside her border, overlapping the same spot where mine had been.

Does the AI even know what it wants?

Sounds like it just wanted you to take down your satellite so it could squat on the space.

Sounds like it just wanted you to take down your satellite so it could squat on the space.

I thought of that a little while later. You're probably right. The AI is thinking: I need to build a miasma repulser. Look, now I've built one. Look, there is another orbital where I want to put mine. I must create a diplomatic situation whereby the other orbital is removed. What must I say? I only have a few possible lines in my library. It is a miasmic repulser that is in my way, so I will say these words to make it go away.

Or you could tweak the code thus: It is a miasma repulsor that's in my way. It only has 3 turns left on it. I can wait 3 turns and launch my own a couple tiles south. Win-win. (But that would require better AI.)

Top Bottom