Funny Pictures Thread XVI: EL-OH-EL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, it's the Nationals, who are not a good team. So it's fail on top of fail. Plus their manager made a dick move by fining one of their few good players for being five minutes late to a team meeting because he was doing charity work for little leaguers.

Ah... brings back good memories of China. :) You actually see that kind of language all over the place. How hard can it be to find someone to check these things?
I dunno, apparently pretty hard. Here's one I found on my trip.

In the hotel in Xian, there was a little sign inside the shower that said something to the effect of: "Place the towels do not place the towels conserve the earth thank you towels."

Ah... brings back good memories of China. :) You actually see that kind of language all over the place. How hard can it be to find someone to check these things?

Pretty difficult, especially outside of the few cities where significant numbers of foreigners actually live. Even perfect translations from Chinese to English often end up sounding stupid just because the languages are so different, so you really have to know both well to keep the original meaning and make it sound good in English. Funny signs make more sense in this context, but sometimes I still can't figure out how they ended up with the translation they did, because just opening a dictionary and writing the literal translation of each word would have been more clear. Anyway, here are some of my favorites from my travels here, which I will make less funny by explaining:

Mistranslated "注意" as "beware" instead of "pay attention to." Easy mistake.

The meaning is intact in all of these, but they're still funny. And the "Grass is resting" sign is a perfect example of how the Chinese just use language differently than us. It's not a mistranslation.

Tibetan International Travel Service. Apparently no one knew that word.

A couple of helpful signs:

(This was in a museum.)

And lastly a fun misspelling:

Chinese trains are so much cooler than ours. :(

The meaning is intact in all of these, but they're still funny. And the "Grass is resting" sign is a perfect example of how the Chinese just use language differently than us. It's not a mistranslation.

You know, it's a mistranslation if you do not get the meaning across.

Having said that, I hope they keep mistranslating stuff into English in that part of the world, because it's hilarious :)

Got some images myself from China; maybe not they're that funny...

^From Mount Hua Shan outside Xi'an. Did you visit this one, Bigfoot?

Never got to try those... :(

Somebody hates bikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom