1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny screenshot: A social visit perhaps?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by chris409, Dec 19, 2005.

1. chris409

chris409 Chieftain

These were my allies untill a few turns ago ;p looks like they r sneaky!

anyone got any bigger invasions to show?. This is one of 3 stacks looks like around 100 on my borders.

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

They just want to borrow some sugar. I say give them a few lumps.

3. JeremiahCivFan

JeremiahCivFan Chieftain

Do they have a big enough military to conquer you........Have they conquered you. Keep this thread up to date.

4. chris409

chris409 Chieftain

I wanted them to declare war, i had 20 artillery and 40 cavalry waiting for them and 20 inf in each nearby city for protection im thinking 20 inf in metropolis would be hell on earth for them?

...obviously had just moved it up. I cant declare as i have trade deal with them and perfect rep so far.

Three times they backed off when i said get out.

The last time i tried to provoke war by occupying my forts with solo guerillas

But they left rather than attack..wierd AI action!.

Oh well any idea how to get em to declare or would it be wiser to send those units to my nearest rivals border with a MA ?.

Have to admit i was impressed, and had to strip my eastern borders to cover the attack 3 movement on cavalry is lethal!

also i lack oil so despite big tech lead i have to be careful

5. DBear

DBear unbeliever

what level is this?

6. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

It seems late in the game, so why worry about deals, just go to town on them. You do not need any more trades anyway.

7. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

It might not be you they're after. They might be trying to get to the civs on your eastern border.

8. watorrey

watorrey Chieftain

If you want them to declare war, wait until next time they are in your territory and you have the remove or declare war option in diplomacy. Then demand one of thier core cities and keep demanding it until they become furious. Then do it a couple more times to make sure. THEN demand they remove thier troops or declare war.

9. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I have never had the AI send that big of a stack against me, but I did once invade them with about 200 Modern Armours :yeah:

10. ellie

ellie Chieftain

Lol i had a bigger stack on my last emporer game, roman legionnaires..about 70 of them. But you say 3 stacks there?.

Inf in metropolis, i think thats 20 defence, 20 inf would take..a sick amount of cavalry so u would be ok imho.

BUT id definiteley crush them especially if you need oil. You have inf/arty it looks like they have just got cavalry and are still mainly knights. From your research (combustion) im guessing your industrialised. With factories and maybee hoover damn you could output inf at a rate they couldnt hope to match and inf is superior to cavalry in that it can attack and defend, with arty backup your laughing .

Imho u cant afford to wait for them to get motorised transport if you lack oil.
    And you should use that massive lead in tech while it is hot.

Hmm experts: If im leading chris to his doom then correct me on it all ;p

11. Turner

Infantry has a defense of 10. But it would still take a lot of Cav to ensure a victory.

12. ellie

ellie Chieftain

I thought units defending a metropolis get a big defense bonus?

13. Turner

They do get a bonus, but the base is ten. ;)

14. ellie

ellie Chieftain

ahh gotcha babe.

I still stand by my assertion that he should be able to crush them with inf/arty against cavalry though ;p

15. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

Better attack them now or they build more!!!

16. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

20 artillery? Double, no triple the amount! Artillery is your friend.

Demand something outrageous (mutliple techs or xxx gpt) until they are furious, then ask them to leave. Guess what happens? If this is a fair thing to do? Nope, but neither is marching into your territory.

17. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

I believe Turner is correct. It is likely not you they are after. Maybe, maybe you can try to actually let them pass through your territory so that they can reach their victim. And once the war between those two has started, and once you can cancel your tradedeals with the Babs without taking a rep-hit you make an alliance with the victim against the Babs. Chances are that you can get something more out of the MA, so that you could say you get paid for your war.

18. Turner

Easier would be to let them in a couple of tiles, and then block off the route. He's got a chokepoint between New Nasca and Tambo(?) Colorado. If they're just passing through they'll leave as soon as they're blocked at the chokepoint.

19. ellie

ellie Chieftain

If they werent after him, it would explain why they backed off when he blocked them with his forts.

In my experience when the AI sends a big stack with the intention of using it nothing stops it from attacking short of a MA. Ive tried bribing big civs ive seen on the march, turned them to polite/gracious and they have still whacked my city upon reaching it.

So, i guess you are probably right that it is an army on its way for another civ.

Still kill them tho, for the oil, an IA / MA game without oil sucks.

20. boodlefoof

boodlefoof Chieftain

Once I was playing Regent and landed on the continent the Romans had conquered. When I took their city, I knew I would get a pretty nasty counterattack... they must have moved in about 120 troops...

Fortunately, I had some bombers to whittle them down a bit, and about 20 artillery in the metropolis along with about 25 good defenders. It took about 20 minutes for the computer to run through its turn as all of their troops absolutely impaled themselves on the city.

In the end, I had about 4 battered infantry left in there... but the additional turn gave me the time to pack in some more defenders and let my bombers clean up their remaining troops. ;)