Funny stuff with Vassals...

the_elf

Warlord
I'm playing Catherine, primarily since she's Imperialistic, and I wanted to give the Great Generals a good, solid try. That, and she's Creative, and I LOVE pushing people out of their cities. :)

So, I'm kind of tucked into the southeast corner of a pangea, though I've done well for myself grabbing up land and resources. Almost too well...suffering some financially, but nothing unmanagable.

I start ramping up my military to screw with Monty, who's already mad at me, and probably about to attack at any time. I do a little refortifying and modernizing (still had a bunch of warriors about, but not quite to Feudalism).

Sure enough, with a couple of my Chariots in position to kill his horses and take a couple of his workers, HE declares on me. I was kind of surprised, since he left his only horse resource and a couple of workers completely unprotected.

I ramp up even more, and give him a good stomping, pushing north. He's got one other city kind of tucked behind Cyrus, so after capturing all of his cities near my border and northward, I call it a day. (He's got nothing to sue for peace on).

I thought about holding off a couple more turns for Feudalism to make him capitulate. Though, I know he's down to maybe two cities, and since I don't think he'd have anything to provide, I ended the war with him.

Later, he ends up becoming Louis's vassal! :D

Further, I think Louis figured out that Monty was a sucky vassal, and ended up at war with Isabella. The next turn, though, it's all called off. Oddest thing I had ever seen.

Louis wasn't happy with me, and was being jerky about religion and tributes, and such. So, I ramp up again, destined to take it to him AND his vassal.

Again, I was beaten to the war horn. After I ask him for a big gold tribute to help me get to Guilds (and upgrade my General Chariot to a Knight!), he pays the tribute and then declares on me. Except: He makes a pitiful show with his troops. A Horse Archer and a Swordsman, and nothing else.

Either he couldn't work Open borders with my ally Cyrus, or he simply started stuff with me to get me to wipe Monty's last city out. :)

Once I took it to Louis's turf, he put up one hell of a fight. And I was even being careful, moving units in stacks with protection from each other type of unit. Anyway, the war with him ended rather ironically after I captured Marsellies and Paris...he capitulated to me. :lol:

I had one of the civs demand that I stop trading with the evil so and so...can't remember the particulars...

that might not seem strange...it happens all the time, but the civ was the vassal to the so and so civ! lol

I think that some of that, including Vassal attitude toward Master, will be corrected.

I just thought it was funny that Louis started a fight with me to rid himself of Monty.

"Hey, um...we thought that enslaving the Aztecs would be a good idea, but it turned out to not be such a good idea for us. Would you mind...err...just destroying them for us? Thanks!"

We should be able to trade vassals, that would make things interesting (and release them of their oaths of loyalty towards their Lords and Masters).

Anyhoo, I believe the logic of civ A asking you to stop trading with civ A's vassal is that the item traded can then be traded backward to the master civ. If you look elsewhere in the forums you can find people like me who collect vassal's just to pimp them out of their gold for several hundred per turn.

Top Bottom