Funny/Wierd History Facts

Austria-Hungary created the Austro-Hungarian Air Service before airplanes were invented.

Two countries who lost their independance during WW2 never regained it. They are Danzig, between Prussia on one side and Poland on two(plus water on one) and Tannu-Tuvva, which was between Mongolia and the USSR. The Soviets annexed it in 1944, and it remains in Russian hands to this day.

Originally posted by Stefan Haertel
Jim Bowie.

And I'm pretty sure it was his brother, Rezin, who invented (and sold) the knives. Jim just put them to use famously.

Danzig was never a country per se. It was an open city run by the league of nations.

And I'm pretty sure it was his brother, Rezin, who invented (and sold) the knives. Jim just put them to use famously.

Dunno, the name just burned into my memory through a song by Donovan (and I am absolutely sure, in contrary to my father, that his first name wasn't David!).

Originally posted by Pariah

One thinks George W. Bush is the more deserving of a bullet than most Presidents. Let's hope the curse holds a little longer...

If you live it the USA that comment will probably get you some attention from the FBI, Let me know if you have any visitors come to your door or if you hear a "clicking" on your phone line :lol:

No, I'm not an American. I'm just as free to criticize your head of state as I am to denouce Kim Il-Song.

The grand war of Russia and Berwick- upon-Tweed

Due to an archaic law in Britain, the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed had to be mentioned in proclamations (England, Scotland and Berwick Upon Tweed formally...).

One such proclamation was of war against Russia (the Crimean War). During the signing of peace however, Berwick-upon-Tweed was not mentioned, technically meaning it was still at war.

In 1966 somebody must have pointed this out, for a formal peace treaty was finally signed. Mayor Knox of Berwick-upon-Tweed asked the Soviet official to "tell the Russian people they can sleep peacefully in their beds."

heres an interesting little fact- the Current Royal house of England claims descent from the Norse God Odin

As did every Scandinavian royal. Odin clearly got about a bit.

If you follow the generations back, you can estimate that Odin was alive and knobbing around the 2nd century AD. However the House of Windsor claims ancestry back even further down the Welsh line through Henry Tudor- to the Celtic hero-king Beli Mawr.

If you strictly follow the male line of descent back from Prince Charles, you end up with Egilmar I, Count of Oldenburg around 1100AD.

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone

Germany wasn't under control of the Nazi's in 1931. Hitler didn't become Chancellor until 1933.

Germany continued to oppose it when Hitler became Fuhrer. Eventually(I think in 1937), they withdrew their military advisors.

WWII never technically ended, since Japan and the Soviet Union never signed a peace treaty. I believe that Russia took all of the old USSR's treaty's, but if they didn't, the war would have ended on December 26, 1991, when Japan beat the USSR, as they ceased to exist after that date.

Austria declared independence from Austria-Hungary, and Russia declared independence from the Soviet Union.

All states in the United States that were once independent(California, Texas and Hawaii) use the same state flag that was once used as their old national flag.

The last Confederate general to surrender during the Civil War was a Native American.

Mexican troops crossed into the United States at least 23 times last year on accident.

In the USA, it is not banned by the constitution to enslave someone as a punishment for a crime.

Hawaii's flag has a union jack on it, even though Hawaii was never part of Britian. This is because the Queen of Hawai'i decided that Hawaii needed a national flag, so she combined the US, Britians and Frances flag.

Hawaii used to have the highest literacy rate of any country in the world.

The combined populations of New York City and Los Angeles(in modern times) is more than the entire Confederate States of America at any point in the Civil War.

There was a train chase during the Civil War. A Union train crossed into the South and sabotaged Confederate rail lines as it went. The Confederates started chasing it with a train of their own and eventually the Northern one was captured, but not before doing a heck of a lot of damage.

96% of trains were manufactured in the North on the onset of the Civil War.

I know the modern-day decendant of Robert E. Lee.

Only one person was ever born in Antartica. She was the daughter of some scientists.

Wilmer McLean was an American farmer whose home was located near Manassas Junction along the banks of Bull Run in Virginia. The first battle of the American Civil War, 1st Bull Run or 1st Manassas, was literally fought in his front yard. After the battle, he decided to find a new place for his family "where the war would never reach them." He bought a two-storey brick house in a small village of no strategic value in central Virgina called Appomatox.

When in early April 1865 General Robert E. Lee decided to surrender his forces, the negotiations were to be held in Appomatox. Lee sent an aide, Col. Charles Marshall, into the town to find a suitable space. There Marshall encountered McLean, who offered the use of his house. The war which began in McLean's front yard ended in McLean's front parlor.

Sims: Stand Watie, right?

Originally posted by Smellincoffee
Sims: Stand Watie, right?

think so. that name sound right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
in the Confederate States of America, it was illegal to import slaves from anywhere except the USA.

the word white is not mentioned anywhere in the Confederate constitution.

Originally posted by sims2789

The slang word "hooker," which means prostitute, was gotten from the US civil-war general Joseph T. Hooker. He hired prostitutes for his army to keep up troop morale. They started being called, "Hooker's girls" which was eventually shortened to "hooker." The name stuck.

The Union's General Burnside had a big pair of lamb chops growing on the side of his face. So distinctive were they that the word 'side burn' came from him.

Sir Robert Menzies (aka 'pig iron Bob) sold miilions of tonnes of metals to the Japanese prior to 1941 only to have it returned in the form of bombs, bullets etc when Australia went to war with Japan.

Hitler and Stalin were both choir boys. :D

Hitler and Stalin were both abused as childern. Once, as punishment for running away, Hitler was beaten by his father into a coma for several days. Stalin was beaten so much that he urinated blood.

Napoleon was born in Corsican.

Hitler was born in Austria-Hungary.

The guy on the $10 dollar bill was Jamacan.

Caligula was known to coat his food in gold, and drink melted pearls.

Evidence of Patatoes in Indonesia traded from South America across the Pacific has been found.

I watch food network too much......

Top Bottom