Funny/Wierd History Facts

One historian (Fritz Stern) calls both WWI and WWII the Second Thirty Years War because in a sense, they can actually be grouped as such

I think that says a great deal more about the Thirty Years War than it does about the World Wars.

If we Anglo-Saxons go to war with you Germans again any time soon, can we call it the Second Hundred Years War?
There already was one, between the Brits and French, from 1689ish to 1815ish.

That's an even worse term than the original "Hundred Years' War."

Made for a ballin AP Euro essay question, though. Spent more time on that than on the rest of the exam combined.

The amusing thing is that your application of the term is more legitimate and sensible than the original term.

If we count all the French civil wars from the Franks to De Gaulle, how long a war does that give us?

the argument behind the World Wars as being a single 30 years war is that because of Versailles (which was horribly unbalanced and contradicted everything that Wilson wanted in it, save for the self determination clause, which was still contradicted in that the treaty prohibited the Germanic peoples from uniting) Germany was able to rise up again in opposition in World War II, which was only resolved once the Reich surrendered unconditionally (although the spinoff war of that would be the Cold War, I guess, so World War I is indirectly responsible for all the crap we saw the the 20th Century :p)

so World War I is indirectly responsible for all the crap we saw the the 20th Century
You could argue that all the way to Napoleon too, with Prussia humiliating France in the Franco-Prussian war (declaration of the Empire in the Versailles and all), and the French and others doing the same in turn to the German Reich after WWI - which explained a lot of German revanchism and therefore formed a basis for a lot of Nazi propaganda. :p

With about as much justification, too.

Why not draw it back to the big bang. The creation of the universe was a direct cause of both world wars :)

Fact 1:
Stalin would call his governments senior members to dinner and make them drink huge amounts of vodka until they got drunk and then he would interrogate them

Fact 2:
The Ottoman concubines were only allowed to have black Africans as their servants and all of them had to be castrated

Fact 3:
In medieval France it was common to through garbage and "human waste" out the window until it fell on the king of France

I'm not surprised at Fact 1. Fact 2 is pretty scary. Fact 3 is actually not that weird to me, considering the problem was so bad even for Rome that the city had stepping stones built into the streets so as for crossers wishing to avoid stepping in **** could safely cross the streets. I'm going out on a whim here, but that might be the inspiration for why modern crosswalks are painted in a stripe fashion. Hell, I'm sure that is still common in some countries even today (though not that many). As I recall, walking on the streets in Industrial London could be quite dangerous, as you never knew when you might step in crap or have a crappy day!

"Fact 2" is only really true after the 1580s. Before that, White Eunuchs could go into the harem too

Top Bottom