1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Further Writing by the Victors- A Hearts of Iron III German AAR

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Kan' Sharuminar, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

dunno how I feel about that one
    :rotfl:

2. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Today my horoscope for Himmler will be this:

Planets align - so must Europe. Look for metal birds to make that happen. PS, Himmler, don't forget to suggest the importance of a well-developed Luftwaffe.

3. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Research Tanks! You can't properly steamroll anyone without tanks.

4. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Can I be that political dissident that hangs out in the backs of rooms and makes snarky comments under his breath while the führer is saying something important?

5. GASherbert

GASherbert Lurker

I know almost nothing about HoI mechanics, so I'd like to be an army staff officer advocating the development (and use) of Panzers.

6. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

you want to be Goring?

7. Ninja Dude

Ninja Dude Sorry, I wasn't listening...

I would like to be the leader of a submarine group. I shall starve the British dogs into submission!

(and then get depth charged in some far away ocean)

8. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Additional Writing by the Victors- A Hearts of Iron III German AAR

Part Two
    1st January - 13th April 1936

I wait a couple of days so as not to overwhelm myself in governmental affairs, and let the Council of Doom debate what we should focus our industries towards. At first it’s all a bit predictable.

“So what’s happening?”
    “Well, mein Fuhrer, the Chief of the Army wishes for a stronger land-based military, the Chief of the Air Force is advocating the air force be upgraded, and the Chief of the Navy wants a powerful surface fleet to dominate the world.”
    “I kinda walked into that one, didn’t I?”

Eventually two brand-new members of the council offer their opinion. Both Serutan and Officer GASherbert suggest that tanks are quite good. Being a man who rather enjoys tanks, I agree and order development towards better tanks.

Oh, of course that’s not all I’m researching. Infantry, fighters, military doctrines all get the benefit of SCIENCE. About the only thing that doesn’t get any love is the navy, as I’m still undecided what I want to do about that. Mr. ZeletDude wants a surface fleet, while I’m partial to submarines. For now a compromise is agreed and I order the construction of two Bismarck-class battleships and a couple dozen submarine flotillas.

Also being produced are more infantry divisions, some motorised infantry and a few fighter squadrons to keep PrinceScamp happy. Happy with my progress, I decide I can sit back for a week and relax, before getting to this Rhineland business.

Good heavens that’s a lot of provinces! All I wanted to do is put my divisions in the provinces required for France to say “oh alright then, you can have the Rhineland back but no more funny business from now on, right?” but that’s a lot of provinces to put them in. And look at all those French fortifications! Officially they may claim it’s a defensive structure and possibly a deterrent, but I know better! That right there is a challenge issued by the French - “Get round zis, you arrogant German-type people!” is what I hear whenever I visit the border. Only more French sounding.

Oh and look and this. More French arrogance! They just assume we need metal from them. Well we do, so I quietly accept and move on. In fact we need a lot more resources, seeing as our metals, rare materials and oil levels are dropping. The Italians are eager for a deal, but they’ve just won a major war against Ethiopia so it’s all a bit crazy and exciting in Rome now and I‘m not sure if I trust their claims of resource abundance. Instead I utilise some of the contacts in the foreign department for help. Speaking with LightSpectra comes to nothing, as we can’t seem to find Liechtenstein on this map, let alone trade with it, but Dachs sets up a nice deal in which we get American rare materials in return for cold, hard German cash. I wonder if we still have any of those 50 million mark banknotes from the 1920’s hanging around?

Objective achieved! This is a glorious day for Germany, for it shows we can accept and achieve the objectives we assign ourselves! I think the next goal should be ‘figure out a decent way of reorganising all these troops under my command.’ Goodness knows I have plenty of provinces to shove them in…

9. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

While two Bismarck classes surely cannot dominate the sea's it will be a good start. Excellent to see we have finally reoccupied the Rhineland.
    Excellent update!

10. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

Building some fighters as well would be a good idea. the citizenry gets uppity if bombs fall on them and their loved ones.

11. Ninja Dude

Ninja Dude Sorry, I wasn't listening...

Nonsense. While two massive surface ships may look impressive, they are massive targets and even larger wastes of money. The German Navy's future lies beneath the waves, where hundreds of top-of-the-line submarines can rip apart any naval opposition without any danger of counterattack.

And yeah, cudos on the Rhineland thing too mien Fuhrer :p

12. Jos Ballenbak

me wants: LANDBATTLESHIPS/TANKS!!!!!!!!

if we could combine land, naval and air into one unit.

13. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

?

14. Jos Ballenbak

that's the one we are looking for! start building those!:lol:

15. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Why are you looking through my dream journal?

16. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Additional Writing by the Victors- A Hearts of Iron III German AAR

Part Two
    13th April - 20th June 1936

Everything seems to be in place, everything seems to be where it should, and so I enter that period in Paradox games where I demand full speed ahead and wait for something to happen. It’s also that period in a Paradox game when you wonder if you’re doing something wrong, given that nothing happens for a long period of time.

After about a month of waiting, I decide to examine some of the choices available to me. I get recommended by…well I’m not sure who by, possibly Germany itself, to change the conscription laws to a three-year draft, quietly taking my own name out of the list. Others in my council are not so lucky.

“General Volum, you’ve been drafted. Report for basic training and don’t come back here for three years.”
    “But…I’m a general! I’ve already done basic training.”
    “But you did that willingly. Now you’re doing it by the power invested in the state. Hop to it. You too LightSpectra. Maybe some time in basic training will give you the power to read maps, and we’ll find Liechtenstein.”

At any rate, it results in a sudden explosion of volunteers. Better to say you joined of your own free will than having to be forced into it, I suppose.

Go team Germany!

Otherwise it’s just SCIENCE as usual. Of particular delight to me is the reports that Germany has begun research into medium-sized armoured vehicles. No longer shall Germany be mocked for having only light tanks that have the tendency to float away if struck by so much as a light breeze.

I take further advantage of the time to try to come to grips with the Headquarters System, before deciding to leave it until 1937 and taking a peek at the espionage reports instead. All seems very espionagey, and I order my spies in Russia to increase the threat of the Soviet Union. The hope is if I bugger something up, everyone will be too cross with Stalin to notice me.

And then something happens! I know! I wasn’t expecting it either.

“Thank you for the report, MINISTER_MESSAGE_ENTRY. Where’s my Foreign Minister?”
    “Right here, sir.”
    “No Captain2, you’re not foreign enough. Get me Ballenbak.”
    “At your side, sir.”
    “Right, have a look at this:”

“Now tell me, which one is the dull sandy brown colour?”
    “That’ll be the Republicans.”
    “And which one is using the dull muddy brown colour?”
    “Nationalists, sir.”
    “Great, that’s all.”

But it’s not, because now I can make a brand new diplomatic decision - to help or not to help Nationalist Spain in their war. I put it to you, my Council of Doom…

17. Jos Ballenbak

That's why I don't need basic training, I can already read the different colours on the map ;)

18. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Go help the Nationalists! Franco winning means a new ally.

19. nodikus

nodikus It's Elementary...

I agree, go with the nationalists.

20. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Can I be Reichsministermessageentry?