Future GOTM Map Suggestions

LordValuna

High Lord
Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough

.. This map is just a randomly generated one. All I did was set the governments, wipe the huts and save it. I didn't preview it or anything. So much fun in one map, cool. :)
Suggestion:
I think it would be neat to have a GotM on a map known to most people.
My suggestion would be the world map. Also since most people are familiar with it to be fair you could set scenario parameters to reveal whole map.

Originally posted by LordValuna

Suggestion:
I think it would be neat to have a GotM on a map known to most people.
My suggestion would be the world map. Also since most people are familiar with it to be fair you could set scenario parameters to reveal whole map.

Yes, I like this idea, such as a special GOTM_no_numbered ;

and to give some more interest, it could be an "only by conquest" GOTM.

On a world map, I think Kamehameha of the Hawai'ians (original location of course) might provide a stiff challenge...

I've played the Hawaians a couple times - load a settler on a trireme & head NE, repeat until successful... as I recall it was impossible to get a resource seed that would yield 4 whales - I think the dateline was part of the problem...

The "no huts" thing evens out the luck factor, especially early game. Worth considering...

I would like to play on earth map (on diety) too. Also, I think Gotm should never have huts anymore.

World map -- Warlord -- Bloodlust -- OCC. A challenge for all (except Kev!) Regarding OCC, maybe we should be easier on newbies & let them dismantle upstart cities & sell off the improvements -- All duke needs to see on any of the three saves is…One city (preferably the same one.)

Variation might be 3 cities or 5 cities -- and we wonder if the great traders would set up one of those cities on opposite ends of the Pacific for mega-trade?

Originally posted by Old n Slow
Regarding OCC, maybe we should be easier on newbies & let them dismantle upstart cities & sell off the improvements -- All duke needs to see on any of the three saves is…One city (preferably the same one.)
I always though in OCC you should be able to capture cities, just not defend them. With any lucks the barbarians (rather than an AI) would capture the cities leaving a sea of red in your wake:)
same if you get an advanced tribe just leave it to be captured(as opposed to paulicy)

How about a start in New Zealand? Could be OCC or MC, or emigrate to Australia... then again, a good old World romp would be kind of a nice relaxation...

Seems like we are more worried about helping out the newbies and not enough concerned about the AI - they need the most help, even the GOTM24 government starts did not "stick". More ideas on handicapping the AI would be nice. How about "human cannot build a Wonder" (capturing OK?) Other ideas?

The whole point of OCC is never to have more than one city, sort of a perfectionist's dream. What tends to skew comparisons is Hut outcomes; wiping Huts means fewer "freebies" early on, but less luck is involved and skill is highlighted (and learned from).

Originally posted by ElephantU
How about a start in New Zealand? Could be OCC or MC, or emigrate to Australia... then again, a good old World romp would be kind of a nice relaxation...

Seems like we are more worried about helping out the newbies and not enough concerned about the AI - they need the most help, even the GOTM24 government starts did not "stick". More ideas on handicapping the AI would be nice. How about "human cannot build a Wonder" (capturing OK?) Other ideas?
I like the idea of no wonders, since wonders are much more powerful in the hands of a human than an AI.

Question: Would spreading the AI's out one per continent help the AI's out? (human player in NZ) AI in N. America, S. America, Africa, Australia, Europe and Asia. At least there wouldnt be an AI destroyed early by another civ. It might be hard for the AI's to trade tech is a downside, but that's probably true on most large maps

I won't bother to play the earth map. If it is known, what is the mystery?

Regarding huts: the first hut hit is crucial. One variation you might try is to pop the first hut and get a None Horse, then save and let us all start there.

Two Settlers would also be nice, because different players have different ideas about that -- a personal choice, not luck.

Am Unknown Medium Map, Islands, Raging, Emperor? 2 Settlers and a None Horse. Sound fair and interesting?

I am very much in favor of playing on a custom designed map known to all in advance. It is amazing how much variety you can introduce in the game through a custom designed map. The so called random map generator of Civ2 is not random at all. I am in favor of playing on Earth as well.
Originally posted by GaryNemo
I won't bother to play the earth map. If it is known, what is the mystery?
We can keep part of the mystery (and the need for early exploration) by randomizing the special resources and huts. This way unexplored areas are still in black while you are playing Civ2. But the map is known and you can look at it in the map editor.

I've been thinking lately that games are more comparable if you wipe the huts. Some people get great luck with huts, others not. Wiping them would make the game more even.

Originally posted by ElephantU I've been thinking lately that games are more comparable if you wipe the huts. Some people get great luck with huts, others not. Wiping them would make the game more even.
You certainly have a point. In typical circumstances, however, you are on a decent size continent or island and there are enough huts around to even out the chances. But in GOTM23 this was not the case as we started on an island of size 2 with one hut. That first hut could be poped right away and then you would not be able to get another till you built a ship. The outcome of that first hut had a great impact on the rest of the game.

But the outcome was also fairly restricted: you could not get Barbs or Nomad or Advanced Tribes; the only choices were gold, unit, and tech. Samson did some statistics over at Apolyton.Net that said your chances of military unit were pretty high.

I've tried that start several times playing with small-city OCC and only once gotten tech out of it (which actually helped my early tech plan, so I stuck with it - but the game didnt pan out). Most of the fun of Civ is trying to adjust to the problems that come your way...

The unknown map is the best way to go. Once you know what the map looks like it becomes too easy. Granted there is some luck involved with the unknown map, (which way too go, can I find a trading city) but thats a big part of the game.

I have to agree with a number of other folk here and say that the 'no hut' idea is a good one. It really makes the game more even for everybody by taking some of the luck out of the game.

I also like the idea of starting on a World Map (or a map that has been uncovered), but the 'no hut' option has first preference for me.

Originally posted by ElephantU
But the outcome was also fairly restricted: you could not get Barbs or Nomad or Advanced Tribes; the only choices were gold, unit, and tech.
True, but in the situation of GOTM23 starting on an island of size 2, a None unit or a desired tech such as Alphabet would be a great benefit compared to money; and money would be far better than an undesired tech which would delay getting off the island significantly. So even with the restricted variation the outcome significantly affected the game.

Originally posted by Garvarg
The unknown map is the best way to go. Once you know what the map looks like it becomes too easy. Granted there is some luck involved with the unknown map, (which way too go, can I find a trading city) but thats a big part of the game.
I agree that an unknown map is more fun than a known one. The problem is that the unknown maps generated by the random map generator are too much alike! I have played a lot with the map editor and I can tell you the random maps it generates are anything but random. They all follow the same pattern even when you change the parameters.

Playing on a known map does not have to be too easy. In fact, it could be a refreshing challenge because some of your customary strategies may not be applicable anymore.

For example, consider playing on the following map (one of my many creations): the world is huge, about 9000 tiles, and consists of 7 land masses. Each land mass has another land mass to its east and one to its west. You have to go through at least 5 ocean tiles to get from one land mass to another. Thus Triremes cannot travel between these land masses without the Lighthouse. Each land mass is home to one of the 7 groups of same colored civs. The home of the white civs is only big enough to accomodate 3-4 cities. The home of the green civs is slightly larger than that of the whites. Likewise the home of the dark blue is slightly larger than that of the greens. Similary to the end. Thus the home of the Indians/Mongols/Sioux is the largest land mass of all.

You will never get anything remotely like this from the random map generator. You want a challenge, try conquering the world playing a white civ on this map.

Top Bottom