1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Tech usefulness (or lack of)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Procifica, May 7, 2003.

1. Procifica

Procifica ACW Scenario Creator

I've figured out by play-testing a test map that future techs give 1 point each. With my current HoF Chieftain game (playing as France), I've figured out that even with 38 future techs, I still will only have about 5 points end-game score due to future tech, out of about 7,075 total.

My advice: Once you get Genetics, and if you still have Civ's around you want to take out, Robotics and/or Synthetic Fibers as well, set your science slider low and increase happiness and/or tax revenue. If you wish to build the spaceship, of course get all of the techs which have parts before setting the slider lower.

Going for future techs is a complete waste of time. :)

2. Rabid Pop Tart

Rabid Pop Tart Aspiring Graphic Designer

Future techs only give one extra point? Wow. I thought it'd be more...do you think that the points would be increased in regent? I'll try to find out, as I'm on Smart Weapons in my current game and I only have Integrated Defense after that.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund King

Future techs can increase your current score, but your final score is an average of your score at each turn - so *anything* you do right before the game ends is going to have a tiny little impact on your final ranking.

Techs at least add *something* to your final score which extra gold doesn't. Extra happy faces from putting up the luxury slider will help even more, though, unless you have an awful lot of already-almost-completely-happy cities.

4. Alkar

Alkar Untitled ***** User

I think that the score given by future techs depends on gamepaying level... more points are given in Deity than in Chieftain for each FT.

5. Hurricane

Hurricane Sleeping Dragon

Still, future tech gives far less points than happy people. So it makes much more sense to put luxuries at 100%.

6. Hawkster

Hawkster sorcerer

I don't think future techs add any more points depending on the level you are playing it's a fixed ratio .

The amount future techs add to your score is so small they are not worth bothering with - far less than happy people and large population / land area ,but this applies only over time not all at once so setting luxury slider to max just before the end will not make a big difference (it used to in civ2 but not civ3).

7. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I agree. I never research future techs ( I usually don't even bother with the later half of the modern age techs), I always increase happyness! This results in way higher scores...

8. rickyson1

rickyson1 Warlord

1 point?? i thought it was 5

9. rickyson1

rickyson1 Warlord

but i agree total waste of time

10. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

If you have SS turn off, or for some other reason is actually playing after all techs have been discovered, you'll most of the time do best to simply take what you used to have in science as cash instead. That way, you can buy units and improvements at a prodigious rate (assuming you're not in communism!).

11. Beanzy

Beanzy Prince

Unless I'm going for SS victory, I basically grab the techs that give me wonders or improvements (those three at the bottom of the Science Advisor screen), get MA's and the pollution decreasing stuff, and then Rocketry so I can build the MA's. If I'm goin' cultural, I'd get UN and Manhatten Project for the culture. I don't bother with the latter half of that tech tree.