Future Tech WAY overpowered???

stratego

Trying to be good.
Is it just me or does anyone else think that future tech is way overpowered and makes no sense. First of all, why is future tech discovered by Jesus holding a crystal ball? Modern science hasn't used crystal balls for a long time, it's hard to believe that they would return to it for future techs.

Every future tech gives you +1 :health: and +1 :). It doesn't seem much until you start thinking about how much it'll add up. And it doesn't make sense when you think through it.

Let's consider what are the possible future techs.
1. electric car that doesn't need to be charged every hours. At first you might think, 'ok, electric car, reduces emission :health: and save you money :).' Maybe it's even underpowered since it should give +1 :commerce: But then you realize that they don't even drive in CivIV, they just travel on 2000 year old roads or railroads, so an electric car is just a waste of money.

2. Good OLED screens. Sure, it'll make me happy to be able to wear a t-shirt that can also act as computer screen. But does it really give me health? It'll probably hurt my health since I'm bound to be allergic to some of the organic materials.

3. Light Sabers. Ok, light sabers are pretty cool and it'll surely give me happiness, but health? Light sabers are laser, and laser will damage your eyes, except in the case of laser eye surgery, which you wouldn't use a light saber for anyways. (Ok, light saber is only for jokes)

4. Speaking of light sabers, what about 99% efficient light bulbs. It'll probably save a lot of electricity and therefore increase health, but does it make me happy? No!!! I could care less if my light bulb is 20% efficient or 99% efficient. They're all the same to me.

5. Cure for some illness (i.e. AIDS, Cancer). +1 :health: for finding the cure. -1 :health: for some new illness popping up. Just look at the past. Now the flu doesn't kill us, but guess what does? AIDS

Also, if I get my first future tech by 1900, then by 2007 my population should all be happy and healthy. That's not the case in 2007.
Let's say you get your first future tech in 2007, then by 2050, everyone is supposed to be all happy and healthy? What about the problems I mention earlier?

no there problem isnt that thay are over powered it is that thay are much too simplictic for being the 4th incarnation of this game, (this game needs an overhaul so badly).

an example would be to devide the advanced techs into catigorys and have one for health another for happyness mebey one for commerce and such like that but because thay havent bothered to update this game the way thay should you cant really do much as far as catagoryzing them, still you can have techs like Agroculter 1-2-3-4-5 +1 food for farms 6-7-8-9-10 +1 food for windmills and water mills at tech 25 add one more to the farms and at around 50 add another to the water and windmills or something along the lines of that.

why bother? if you are researching future tech 2 or higher then you had time to build a spaceship. That shows that you could have won already so that means Future Tech is not overpowered because anyone researching it is just goofing off and not trying to claw their way to the top and win.

Parts of the tech tree need to be trimmed, especially near the end. Parts of the tech tree need expanding, especially near the end. Instead of future tech I'd like to see some creative thought put into future tech. How about discovering a propulsion system to increase movement of all or certain units. How about discovering nanotechnology which increases health or research. How about a tech that increases the field of vision of your advanced units like mech-infantry. I'm sure these are probably not the best of ideas, but it's better than nothing. The game ends before you get Future Tech most of the time anyway, and if it doesn't then you probably turned off Space victory. It's not a huge deal, but it would give the people who want to keep going something to do instead of running up monotonous Future Tech's.

First of all, why is future tech discovered by Jesus holding a crystal ball? Modern science hasn't used crystal balls for a long time, it's hard to believe that they would return to it for future techs.

The crystal ball image I think has to do with the fact that you might as well try looking into a crystal ball to know about the future... Who can say?

You could probably edit the XML files to tone down future tech's bonuses. Be careful that you don't unbalance the game too much, though.

Well honestly.....

If you haven't won the game by the time you can get future tech, you need all the help you can get.

In theory though, future tech can be anything your imagination can come up with. Thinking about it in those terms, I think future tech is underpowered and way too limited.

Why can't I get the Starship Enterprise by researching future tech? Why can't I build the Deathstar and have the ultimate conquest victory? Why can't I make nanotechnology that I can use as biological weapons?

You see, future tech to me is technology beyond what we have or what we can imagine having any time soon. I'd like to see it expanded on more, like in Civ II Test of Time. You could eventually colonize a new planet and have to deal with alien technologies. I think they should go back to that, or simply use more imagination and give us lots of new goodies, like giant robot war machines or something. Future tech shouldn't be limited to only health and happiness, because history shows us that military research is responsible for a great deal of our technological advances.

Future techs should let you make a time machine. Then bring some of your mech infantry back to your 4000 BC save - just make sure they bring enough gasoline

Is it just me or does anyone else think that future tech is way overpowered and makes no sense. First of all, why is future tech discovered by Jesus holding a crystal ball? Modern science hasn't used crystal balls for a long time, it's hard to believe that they would return to it for future techs.

Every future tech gives you +1 :health: and +1 :). It doesn't seem much until you start thinking about how much it'll add up. And it doesn't make sense when you think through it.

Let's consider what are the possible future techs.
1. electric car that doesn't need to be charged every hours. At first you might think, 'ok, electric car, reduces emission :health: and save you money :).' Maybe it's even underpowered since it should give +1 :commerce: But then you realize that they don't even drive in CivIV, they just travel on 2000 year old roads or railroads, so an electric car is just a waste of money.

2. Good OLED screens. Sure, it'll make me happy to be able to wear a t-shirt that can also act as computer screen. But does it really give me health? It'll probably hurt my health since I'm bound to be allergic to some of the organic materials.

3. Light Sabers. Ok, light sabers are pretty cool and it'll surely give me happiness, but health? Light sabers are laser, and laser will damage your eyes, except in the case of laser eye surgery, which you wouldn't use a light saber for anyways. (Ok, light saber is only for jokes)

4. Speaking of light sabers, what about 99% efficient light bulbs. It'll probably save a lot of electricity and therefore increase health, but does it make me happy? No!!! I could care less if my light bulb is 20% efficient or 99% efficient. They're all the same to me.

5. Cure for some illness (i.e. AIDS, Cancer). +1 :health: for finding the cure. -1 :health: for some new illness popping up. Just look at the past. Now the flu doesn't kill us, but guess what does? AIDS

Also, if I get my first future tech by 1900, then by 2007 my population should all be happy and healthy. That's not the case in 2007.
Let's say you get your first future tech in 2007, then by 2050, everyone is supposed to be all happy and healthy? What about the problems I mention earlier?

Almost brilliant :)

For those of you who don't quite understand irony..it's the tech researched after bronzy.

Once you're at future tech, you (or someone else) has probably already won the game with a spaceship or other victory, but it's sometimes interesting to keep playing, to see what happens.

In concept, at least, I like the idea that Future Tech has an effect in game terms, unlike Civ 3, where Future Tech just added to your score and nothing else.

Top Bottom