1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

1. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

A thread for all your post speculating as to what the next update will be?

What will be in the new update, what for will the new update take, is that Dev randomly liking posts on the forum a code for something, this and everything like it goes here.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Backero

Backero Chieftain

If this is going to be smaller DLC my guess is for 2 Civs and the scenario with patch ofc. I personally would like to receive a scenario like "Colonization" spinoff with real New World and randomly generated continent with city-states being indian natives. It would be great opportunity to show unique gameplay also for multiplayer and to add some lacking civs like Portugal or any steppes natives like Sioux/Apache. Or the altarnative leaders fitting the colonization era for Spain, like Isabel. Firaxis really tries to itruduce female leaders, but as I may see from by observations the alternative leaders are only introduced when trying to show the representation of other character of the civ from different perspective or time period.

If it would be the major expansion or just a Civ pack I think the Civs included will be: Portugal, Sioux/Apache, Byzantine, Huns/Goths, Mayans, Finland (I know, pretty easy guesses).

jozef57, Socrates- and acluewithout like this.
  3. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Even if it isn't remotely the same size as a full expansion, I do hope it at least contains improvements to the Terra Map.....improved AI & better resource distribution to ensure rival civs will prioritise exploring & settling "The New World".

Additional natural disasters would be great too.

acluewithout likes this.
  4. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

Hypothesis:

A third expansion was planned to be released but it got delayed due to some combination of either needing to spend more time balancing things and/or wanting to make it bigger than GS (more civs, more mechanics, whatever).

One of the mechanics involved pandemics.

By the time it was nearing completion, Covid-19 happened. Firaxis couldn't release an expansion with pandemics without being massively insensitive to a real global tragedy.

Mechanic is pushed back or cancelled altogether. New delay is now Firaxis scrambling to either develop replacement mechanics for a full expack, or a way to split up the remaining expansion pack into smaller DLC packs.

I would think the latter is more likely given that redeveloping an expansion pack is far more resource-intensive than just splitting what already exists up. But then again they would have likely released something sooner.

5. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Possible, but they would have had some foresight regarding covid. I don't think we would see so much testing right now if this was the case. I rather think they are because they want to release it simultaneously for all platforms. (Please correct my ignorance otherwise).

As for what I would bet/wish on: A season pack for "beloved leaders" which will get released 1 every two weeks, giving a steady excitement. Names like Lincoln, Napoleon, Caesar, Churchill, Wu Zetian, the other Catherine, Hatshepsut, Bismarck. And a normal expansion pack with the 8 expected and predicted civs, but light on actual content. The reason for the delay is that so many leaders need a lot of time for creation, but the season gives them some more time to finish the last ones.

Or maybe I am just dreaming a little bit (but hey, this thread is for speculation :) I'll only read in the other one.

jozef57 likes this.
  6. AntSou

AntSou Prince

The description for the old preview reads "Press Preview". What to make of that?

Moderator Action: Moved to speculation thread. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
    acluewithout likes this.
  7. jozef57

jozef57 Warlord

i agree it will probabloy new civ or leaders with an scenario pack seen the tech data any way any civ news is big news

8. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

This seems totally at odds with the activity that we are seeing, do you have any basis for this or is just random speculation?

pokiehl likes this.
  9. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

I would assume this is a version that gets shipped to say, Gamespot and PC Gamer so they can start working on articles ahead of time.

10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

well, the very first word of PhoenicianGold’s post was “Hypothesis:”

Kmart_Elvis and Civrinn like this.
  11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's a Steam build. So they just have to email the previewer a Beta passcode to put into Steam.

12. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

Yes, 'shipped' was a euphemism. 'Exposed to' would be more accurate.

13. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

could this mean we have reached a point where the build is stable enough for it to get tested by reviewers/jounalists. In the weeks before a dlc gets launched. Perhaps without us civfanatics hearing about it for some time.

possible announcement coming within 2-3 weeks?

Moderator Action: Moved to the speculation thread. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
  14. josgre987

josgre987 Chieftain

That old April 20th prediction might seem right after all. But I would hope it would be announced sooner than that.

Moderator Action: Moved to the speculation thread. leif

RohirrimElf likes this.
  15. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I don't recall if the preview build was updated multiple times before the release of GS or just once. Your scenario is plausible, but only time will tell.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Whatever this turns out to be I hope it involves some new Civs being introduced.

If diseases/pandemics were going to be included, I could see this and all other new mechanics being delayed, or unfortunately scrapped, and decide just to release several DLC involving civs, leaders, and scenarios

RohirrimElf likes this.
  17. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

I know this is just a hypothesis but it's important to point out that there's no evidence for this. It's equally (perhaps more) likely that FXS decided from the start to take more time with this expansion and hasn't had to change plans. We don't know.

18. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

This. I'm sucker for new Civs, though my main reason is they bring new music (as I listen to it even when not playing). And the music is getting better and better - most of GS music was spectacular (even though my overall favourite is still Scythia), so I'll be very thrilled to hear what the potential next content brings, starting the cycle again - hear new Civ music from the first look on Tuesday, wait for Geoff Knorr to post era samples on YouTube on Wednesday, hope to join the Thursday stream quickly enough to hear some versions fully, check Peaches Lamb's channel for a post of the most advanced version that was heard in the stream on Friday, repeat the cycle next Tuesday.

So... Could we have Armenia please? I'm dying for more duduk in Civ :mischief:

What is going to be a great fun to me though is that this time, we have no leak with a full list of Civs/leaders and mechanics, so we can speculate fully once some kind of announcement appears, dissecting every clue to slightest details in our pursuit of knowledge of the new content :goodjob:

Haig likes this.
  19. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

Speculation, not necessarily random. A health/pandemic mechanic was one of the most highly requested additions from players, and would have synergized well with other highly requested mechanics like immigration. A health campus seems like an obvious new district option. So the developers at least had incentive to consider it, if not prioritize it.

Furthermore, although we did not get our annual expack announcement around Black Friday, we did get quarterly patches, indicating that it was likely a delayed expack release was already planned or contemplated. The fact that we didn't get a Winter patch or some sort of announcement indicates that the quarterly schedule was thrown off by something. We don't know if a planned expack was intended to be pushed back to Spring, or even Summer, and whether Winter and Spring patches were planned, but it all does feel decidedly off.

Remember, this is a game that went through far more pre-planning than V. The expacks were more coherently themed and released on a tight annual schedule. It seems based on that one composer's leak that all three were planned from the beginning and likely in tandem to some extent. Everything was so structured and indicating a third expack was on the way and now it's....not structured and we still have no third expack.

I don't know what sort of activity we saw before the prior expacks as far as previews go, but given that they haven't even announced it yet I'm thinking at the earliest we will see a summer release date for an expack if they stick to the same 2-3 month "X leads X in Civilization VI" release schedule. Spring release if it's just DLC, but going with DLC before a third expack (i.e. without at least an economic mechanics buildout, if not more robust population and religion mechanics) but after Black Friday still says to me something is off and they had to do some rearranging over something. If we are guessing that they are only just now getting a playable build of the game out, then that to me still indicates that things are running late and we likely still have a few months to go.

It is entirely possible that they decided to take more time, and I do reemphasize that this is speculative. But I don't think even having a longer development schedule from the beginning precludes something like this happening. A mechanic can become controversial at any stage in development, and unfortunately Covid happened smack in the middle of when we would expect them to be finishing up expansions.

20. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I agree with your comment that releases seem to have been carefully planned, and FXS have a clear vision of what they’re producing. I agree it also seems like there was some delay and or a change of plan. But I really doubt it’s got anything to do with a plague mechanic.

I’m just guessing, but it seems like delay might have come from three sources. First, it seems like the FXS were heavily involved with rolling out the console ports - there were tweets which indicated the team were celebrating finishing work on consoles and the last patch seemed like a “let’s fix as much as we can, because it’ll be a while to the next one” kind of patch. That work seems to have stopped something coming out Q4 2019 or even Q1 2020.

Second, it seems like there may have been a change in release strategy, from releasing a third expansion (which is what the leaker has suggested) to releasing discreet dlc (which is more what the survey seems to suggest).

Third, it seems like something has happened with timing generally. It’s possible FXS want to delay stuff because they wanted to give consumers more time to absorb all the current expansions etc and get willing again to spend more money. Given the delay, FXS have been able to do some sales to get people to upgrade to the full pack, including now offering a complete the set pack, which will make rolling out another expansion more effective. That also lets them now put out another expansion (or whatever) without everyone complaining “oh my god, $200 to play Civ” (because Vanilla +RnF +GS are all discounted), but existing players aren’t complaining about new players getting the discount because those buy at release players have had so long getting to play the game v new players.

Basically, it’s possible the current delay in release was always planned or was done deliberately to maximise sales and or let the team focus on other things as well. It’s also possible CV19 has created additional delay because of WFH etc and or marketing boys saying “yeah, let’s not release this expansion when the global economy is tipping into recession and US is facing 30% unemployment”.

Delaying an expansion, and then going further and actually re-tooling that expansion (which means wasting a bunch of completed work) just seems like the least likely scenario to me.

I think a Third XP is much more likely to focus on the mid to end game, including ideology and future tech and maybe economics. FXS have said things in the past that suggest that (Ed said ages ago he wanted to do more with ideological conflict, and one of the designers talked about other future units that they’d been working on), the game seems to have some very obvious gaps or hooks for that (we have all the pieces for ideological pressure, ie tourism, happiness, loyalty, government split across freedom, order and autocracy; and the whole Future Era feels like it was designed to give FXS more room to add stuff, particularly given how bare it is currently), and vanilla, RnF and GS seem to be all focused on reworking and bringing back mechanics from previous games particular Civ V (which increasing feels like the beta version of Civ VI).

Putting all that together, yeah, I’d be surprised if we get something before June. My guess is Patch, Expansion or “mini-expansion”, then leader / scenario dlc and more leader / scenario dlc after that.

Very over the wait. Very over the lack of any news. Particularly because some good news, or just some distraction, would be very welcome. But it is what it is.

Haig likes this.