1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Update - Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

So, why not enjoy those other things for now? Civ VI will still be here when you get bored with the rest.

2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

:thumbsup:

3. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

Don't underestimate my ignorance.

Inawordyes, 679x, Smity2k1 and 6 others like this.
  4. LMT

LMT Warlord

I hope we get some civs that are truly unique in terms of how to play them and/or their abilities. Maori, Canada, Eleanor all are really different and I enjoy playing all of them because of that. It's a reason I loved Venice in Civ 5.

Maybe a nomadic civ where up to the industrial era, cities don't last long, but when they are present, come with a couple of districts already in place. And when they are about to disband, a new settler automatically pops out. Maybe some Native American civ?

5. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

I didn't rate Mali, Maori, and Kongo in terms of "well designed", which is, of course, disputable. I mentioned them as an example of "out of the box" mechanics.
    What I expect from civilization design is a distinct and unique game experience. Venice design, you have mentioned, fulfills this function pretty well. If it's balanced, or if you like or not this kind of approach? That is another story.

6. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Depends on how you define well designed. Judging by the AI civ elimination thread they are among the very worst.

7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I wouldn’t really use this as a guide. The AI necessarily struggles with leaders who shake up the game in ways the human audience finds most interesting, while obviously tending to do better with the civs who are on the more overpowered end of the spectrum...

Inawordyes, Zaarin, CPWimmer and 2 others like this.
  8. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Of course. I love the Maori. But in a game that already gets criticism for a shaky AI I wouldn't call it good design to put in more and more civs that the AI can't handle. It damages the overall experience for the single player game.

j51 and RohirrimElf like this.
  9. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

AI as a reference to judge balance and civilization design is a terrible idea. The way how you play with certain civ and the way how you play against certain AI are completely different stories. We shouldn't confuse it. Your civ game experience depends on how you play it. The problem with playing against Civs is an AI issue. And that's an issue. AI is terrible in placing cities, unit management, building improvements, wonders, and districts.

Inawordyes, Kjimmet, Zaarin and 4 others like this.
  10. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

I disagree about the placement of cities. Overall i think the civ AI is sub par on many areas. Or just plain problematic. But city placement is meating my standards for a civ game. I think both the expansion rate and placement is good enough. Yes, i often would have placed a city a bit more optimal. And if i looked at how settlers would move over the map i would cringe. Like connecting 1-2 more resources or next to a river. But overall the AI is doing alright on this area.

If an AI can’t handle its own mechanics i just take it out of roulation and only play it myself. The Maori is exciting enough for me even if the AI can’t handle it. It can create some chaos. There is not really a shortage in the number of heroes. So can’t be bothered to much. Some leaders tend to be top contenders and some always seems to be lacking. But this will never be balanced right.

11. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

If Firaxis add a plague mechanic to the main game, I wonder if their personal experience in the current pandemic will affect their design somehow. Like for example, it might get a mechanic for social distancing, like a project that delay the plague and reduce population loss.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yeah, I was thinking a "Flatten the Curve" civic that would give you a gold, tourism, and production penalty, but reduce disease pressure and population loss from epidemics.

Inawordyes, AntSou, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  13. Patine

Patine Deity

Wouldn't a dedicated "pirate-based," civ make more sense, and be more relatable to most, in the Caribbean, Illyria, or Northwest Africa?

14. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

unless all that talk about being announced at the original boston marathon date stuff has been cancelled , i cannot see how quickly they can implement those "new" cards and ideas , considering all the QA work etc.

15. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I don't think there was any "talk" about that announcement. It was baseless speculation from here.

Inawordyes, Kjimmet, CPWimmer and 4 others like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

As cool as it sounds, at this point we already have Norway who acts like a "pirate Civ" so I don't think we need one now.
    Though I wouldn't mind a new pirate city-state like Nassau or Port Royal. When they make Portugal that could be a good replacement, suzerain unique bonus wise, for Lisbon.

17. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

How long you guys think it’ll be between announcement and release (assuming an announcement on the horizon)?

18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The previous expansions were 12 weeks. But we don't necessarily know if this is an expansion or what.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  19. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Friaxis almost never allows titles to compete for hype/news and with their surprise announcement to the spin-off Xcom title I wouldn't expect to see anything on the Civ front until it releases Apr 24.

20. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

One thing that I've learned is that "Interesting Design" doesn't always mean "Good Design". That's what I'm trying to say here and why I brought up the quality of those odd-ball civilizations. I simply don't think the Kongo are a good benchmark for civ designs. The raw power of their bonuses can quite potent, but they are reliant on mechanics with considerable issues and they're unable to utilize a core gameplay feature that than just being discouraged from it. I get the Religion is by its nature opt-in, but imagine if we had civs that couldn't access tourism mechanics or spaceport projects so they could never achieve a Science or Culture victory.

I would not like to see more civilizations like that. I would rather have more Maori-like designs.

I'm still against plagues as a mainline game feature for purely mechanical reasons. They're not predictable like most of the natural disasters in the game. There is no immediate benefit to them as a trade-off. And it further discourages Tall play. I haven't seen many suggestions for Plagues that deal with these issues without also being incredibly complicated.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Inawordyes, 679x, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.