[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Gathering Storm was announced about 2.5 months before release. Was there activity on Steam during that time? If there wasn’t then maybe they plan on releasing some DLC instead of an expansion this time around. It wouldn’t surprise me since this was ported to mobile devices.
There was steam activity that turned out to be GS for a couple of months before it was announced.

Maybe they are being cautious after all the GS leaks.

you know it hadn't occured to me that is why they might have gone to the extreme radio silence we have now, after all the forums were able to piece together all of the expansion civs from a blurry image on the background, that...the civilopedia whoopsie, the leaks... I can imagine the headaches it that can be for a marketing department.

you know it hadn't occured to me that is why they might have gone to the extreme radio silence we have now, after all the forums were able to piece together all of the expansion civs from a blurry image on the background, that...the civilopedia whoopsie, the leaks... I can imagine the headaches it that can be for a marketing department.
We've been in the dark for a year, then out of nowhere a new DLC is added to the database. No info, no direct updates to it and no word from the civ team. Just a mysterious, empty depot. I think the extreme caution may be warranted however. They will announce whatever it is at their pace. We can't do much but wait.

What does the porting of Civ VI to other platforms have to do with individual DLC vs an expansion?
There is a larger audience on mobile devices. Since they made it public that this would be playable on mobile devices I figured they would milk this beast for as long as they could. Smaller DLC releases is an opportunity for them to maximize their profits.

There is a larger audience on mobile devices. Since they made it public that this would be playable on mobile devices I figured they would milk this beast for as long as they could. Smaller DLC releases is an opportunity for them to maximize their profits.
The ports gave me a lot of hope for the future of civ 6. It brings new players to the game and opens the door for further expansion options.

We've been in the dark for a year ...
I'm not quire sure what you mean by "in the dark for a year". Yes, GS came out in February last year, but the Dev team has communicated with us a number of times since then. The last one being in September, which admittedly I think we all feel has been too long, but I wouldn't call that "in the dark".
In addition, although it doesn't apply to many of us, Firaxis probably feels that all of this communication about the PS4, Xbox and Switch versions counts.... even though (most/all of?) us Fanatics would disagree.

The ports gave me a lot of hope for the future of civ 6. It brings new players to the game and opens the door for further expansion options.

Agreed. I'm secretly hoping to get Civ BE on the Switch. I know it is a huge long shot but I'd love to be able to play that game on the go. While certainly not as great as 5 or 6, it still had its moments.

As to the future, I'm so pumped to see what the devs have in store for the new content. I'm hoping it's a proper expansion and not merely "DLC" but I'll take what I can get.

I'm not quire sure what you mean by "in the dark for a year". Yes, GS came out in February last year, but the Dev team has communicated with us a number of times since then. The last one being in September, which admittedly I think we all feel has been too long, but I wouldn't call that "in the dark".
In addition, although it doesn't apply to many of us, Firaxis probably feels that all of this communication about the PS4, Xbox and Switch versions counts.... even though (most/all of?) us Fanatics would disagree.
September was 6 months ago. Which means we've had no actual communications for 1/2 of a full year.

September was 6 months ago. Which means we've had no actual communications for 1/2 of a full year.
Yes, tomorrow will be 6 months to the day since @dshirk gave his September 2019 Update.
Again not "a year". And to my point, they probably consider all that stuff about the non-PC version of the game as "communications". Even though that's not what we want to hear about.

I'm all for calling them out, and I'm both surprised and mildly upset about the lack of any real information (especially over the past 4 months). However, let's be accurate in where they have fallen down, and not exaggerate the situation.

That was all I was trying to get across.

Personally, I don't need weekly dev diaries or empty filler posts in my life. I would be happy to hear from them roughly every three months.

Yes, tomorrow will be 6 months to the day since @dshirk gave his September 2019 Update.
Again not "a year". And to my point, they probably consider all that stuff about the non-PC version of the game as "communications". Even though that's not what we want to hear about.

I'm all for calling them out, and I'm both surprised and mildly upset about the lack of any real information (especially over the past 4 months). However, let's be accurate in where they have fallen down, and not exaggerate the situation.

That was all I was trying to get across.

Personally, I don't need weekly dev diaries or empty filler posts in my life. I would be happy to hear from them roughly every three months.

I really wish me complaining about the lack of news would generate some change. But it's clearly not going to. I've noticed FXS' Twitter Posts are attracting increasingly exasperated Tweets from other fans, asking what on earth is going on. But nothing is budging.

All we know is that we're getting something, but it's not confirmed, and we don't know what and we don't know when. That's okay for a bit but eventually gets tedious at some point. And after 6+ months of silence, we are indeed at the point where this has got very, very tedious.

The only bright spot is that maybe, and I mean -- at most -- maybe, the long pause indicates that FXS have gone back to or are working on a Third Expansion rather than DLC. But I still think DLC is more likely given the number of achievements added and the survey. Although, maybe @Eagle Pursuit is right, and the achievements relate to a soon to release free patch and or scenario, and there is a panned Third Expansion further down the road. Honestly, who knows at this point?

Well, anyway, I don't know. My frustration is partly just that I can see there are still some significant "gaps" in the game, and I'd really like to know if those are going to get filled or not. It's quite discouraging playing the game and not having any sense whether the game is in a "final" state (subject to polishing and tweaking) or is still subject to change. I know it doesn't actually matter, and that I can totally play the game as it is, but somehow I really struggle to have much enthusiasm to play when in my mind the game is only half-done.

(Okay. After two expansions and heaps of patches, it's clearly more than "half-done". But I just mean, the game seems like it has some significant mechanics missing that are intended to be added at some point.)

Civ BE on the Switch.

Yes please.

Even better, I'd like a DLC Scenario for Civ 6 that takes all of the existing mechanics (particularly Districts), gives them a science fiction re-work, and lets you play them in a BE style game.

I'd also be very happy to get a Post Apocalypse / After the Fall type version using some of the Red Death assets and a Colonization version.

Come on FXS! Give the fans what they want!

Assuming that "Runner" is Expac #3, what are the odds that the extended silence outside of the established norms of the previous expansions means that they've been working on this for a longer period of time and therefore we're getting more content than from R&F and GS? I mean like, we could be getting more than 8 Civs, we could get 2 or 3 alt leaders, we might have more wonders than "standard", we could see more drastic changes to the gameplay + maybe the DLL release finally?

We'll probably be getting the same amount of content, but an Expac #3 is unprecedented for the series to begin with, so maybe what we're getting is going to be unprecedented too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom