1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future Worst Quattromaster Of All Time

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by superslug, Dec 13, 2006.

1. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

As many III veterans will recall, I've been a longstanding Quartermaster. I ran through the requirements, just to get on the list, but never really got around to doing an improvement campaign. As a result, I've spent most of that Challenge's history at the very bottom of the list. Actually, I've found that a rather amusing position. The worst of the best.

Anyway, I'm now trying to chip away at becoming a Quattromaster, and while not likely to be an educational tale, I'll keep public record of my exploits here:

Game #1:
    I haven't yet gone through my submissions to see exactly what items I've knocked of the list, but I'm pretty sure I've already finished up Tempi. I was a Conquest win short of Machiavelli yesterday, so I spun up a map last night. Chose Washington, just because America is my default preference since CivI when playing for fun and not achievement. Went with Duel-sized pangaea, with Genghis Khan as my rival.

Nothing complicated really, I started in the Future Age, manually regenerated until I had a start with Uranium, started my capitol immediately on the Manhattan Project and then dropped a dozen or so ICBM's on the Mongols before overrunning them with my starting MechInfantry and a few draftees. Now that I've submitted the game, I may reload the next to last autosave and hit Karakorum a few dozen more times before I go to bed tonight.

2. a space oddity

a space oddity Deity GOTM Staff

Good luck with that, Chief! :thumbsup:
    I find that playing the smaller maps saves a lot of (RL) time and might help you towards staying at the bottom too... :mischief:

3. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

You'll have to beat me from becoming the worst Quattromaster.
    I've found that playing duel quick maps will give you a lot of games in a short period of time.
    According to my calculations, I'll only need 6 more games to get 18 civs, and all maps. Then I'll have to play two gauntlets, and I'll be Quattromaster. Any info on when the next G-minor starts, and what it will look like? :p

4. superslug

Next update. I'm pretty sure I know what it's going to be, but I reserve the right to change my mind until I actually publish the update.

Besides, I don't want anyone preplaying. :D

5. Xerol

Xerol Emperor

I'm almost there, I just need a Diety win (probably my biggest obstacle), a bunch more leaders and an archipelago win. And my score is probably going to be the lowest out of anyone to complete it.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I need:
    G-Minor
    G-Major
    Continents
    Fractal
    Highland (can be done during the G-Major)
    France
    Greek
    Mali

So that's 3 or 4 games depending on the next G-Minor.

7. The-Hawk

The-Hawk Old Original Geezer

:lol: OK, I'm hooked. I'm gonna need to keep up with this thread. Something tells me there will be some... ummm... "out of the box" thinking happening here! :rolleyes: Conquest on a duel map, most people think quechua or axe rush, right? Not our intrepid moderator! He does a nuke rush! :lol:

:hmm: Lowest quattro seems like an interesting goal. And much more achievable than highest quattro. Once Moonsinger gets around to it, I'm pretty sure I know who will own the top spot! She's just letting some of us borrow that spot at the moment! ;)

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Well, I gave you back your mantle of worst Quartermaster, so now I need to become the worst Quattromaster, then get slightly better. :D

9. superslug

Game #2:

Before I start proceding up the difficulties for Inferno, I've decided to knock on League of Nations and Mapquest on Settler. Over the last couple of days, I've used France to win a Domination (against Genghis of course) on Archipelago. Domination just seemed the simplest to go for on Archipelago, as I wanted it over with as quickly as possible. Never really cared for Arch, especially on Duel size.

Won in 560AD. Another mind boggling win date. :)

10. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

Challenge accepted. I'm probably able to do worse then you. :crazyeye: :king:

11. superslug

Well, if I do actually beat all the difficulties and even get to become a Quattromaster, I won't stay at the bottom slot forever. I just want to get on the list and then worry about moving up.

Of course I said that about Quartermaster's years ago and just now got around to trying to improve my position.

12. Temujin_Khan

Temujin_Khan The Great Khan

I would think that I would be worst quattro master. because I cant even beat settler difficulty every time.:blush: :lol: I did figure out a way to win all of the difficulties.:D

BTW if being the worst quattro master becomes a popular goal I hope you will add a page to the website to show who is currently the worst.:lol:

13. thip

thip Chieftain

lol...I lose nearly everygame I play on any level. I should definately give this a shot. Is there a reward for being the worst quattro non master.

14. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

well i'll be in the running for worst person on the tables soon!! i finally found my vanilla disk to reinstall and get whatever i had changed out of there, so that my assets match and i don't get those nasty red letters about not qualifying. something i'd done made even warlords not match, and even tho i compared the files with the ones on hubby's machine i couldn't find the culprit. now that issue is solved yay!

quattromaster, nah, not gonna happen, i've seen those gauntlets and i ain't that brave.

but i do have a TOTAL newbie questions since i'm pretty confused about all this table stuff. i'm guessing it's explained clearly enough for me somewhere but i couldn't find it even after looking through several threads, i apologize.

i do know that the same game can count for different types ... like a gauntlet can also count for that map type game, etc.

i see this on the acual scoring formulae page: "Every game, whether it makes it onto a table or not, is given a QScore. The overall Quattromasters score is the average of the scores for every category (I.e. Machiavelli, Map Quest, etc). The score for a category is the sum of the best scoring 2 games for each sub-category (I.e. Conquest, Cultural, Diplomatic, etc) divided by the number of sub-categories."

i'm wondering about the exact meaning of "the best scoring 2 games". if i submit 2 cultural games this week, and then 2 months down the line i get much better and submit another that would meet the exact same sub-category a previous one was in, are the QScores recalculated? would all 3 games be considered, so my overall score on the table would be updated and make me look ummmm less like the worst? or do i need to be careful in considering what to submit, since later ones aren't recalculated even if they're better than the early ones?

if all games, no matter when they're submitted, are included in the calcs, that is of course ideal for us playing and not doing the paperwork, but i can imagine it might be a headache for the admins. i don't know how much of the scoring/keeping track is automated. y'all do great work, i have fun reading this stuff even when i haven't been able to be part of it. thanks!

edit: oh now that i learned to click on the 2 on the table, to see the games that the person got scored on, i do see at least one case where the games were submitted 5 months apart. so i guess it's all good, send in what you want, if you get better later on you're not locked into what you'd first sent? just want to be sure, since maybe those were the only 2 games that player ever sent in that category, hmmz.

15. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Your best 2 games in each category are counted AFAIK.

16. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

thank you!

one more thing, the defaults in the mods (like autolog, the advisors which i <3 and is why i used it even when i couldn't submit before, etc) are off. but when i look at people's individual games, logs are included. so do i need to check that log box, or is it truly optional? i just wonder how much disk space it takes, and if it slows down them game, i will try my next game with it on.

17. Temujin_Khan

Temujin_Khan The Great Khan

no i dont believe you need the autolog on atleast for civ non warlords version because i have yet to bother turning it on for civ non warlords i have allready turned it on for warlords but i would think that if non warlords does not need it the niether should warlords

18. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I haven't used Autolog at all, and all my games still have the log in the HoF.

19. superslug

Actually, I don't think there is a good explanation somewhere. I should probably get to that.

When you have multiple games on one table, only the best one affects QScores. However, the best two can count towards Quattromasters.

All of it. Trust me, if it weren't I'd have lost my mind by now. We just passed 5000 submissions for HOF-IV sometime in the last week...

20. superslug

Disk space, probably insignificant, they're text. It does slow down the game though, considerably on some machines.