G-III Mu

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
Hello and welcome to the newest Gauntlet for HOF III.

• Mapsize: Large
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Condition: Domination

Have your submissions in by March 14th, and good luck.

hey - we haven't had a good "go out and kill things" gauntlet in awhile!! Deity domination!

I'll make a guess of 500 AD for the win date...

It would surpize me if that would be the case. Coincidence that I just started mapfinder on getting a nice start at deity on large 80% pangea. Will get one in, to win I expect one needs to finish in the bc's. Is there any way to win the turn you kill the last AI. Last conquest game I killed the last unit 10BC, thus getting a win date of 10AD.

Hmm, Iroquois or Celts...or can Jaguar Warriors create an impact at Large Deity...then again the way to go may be an Industrial blitz with Sipahis?

My experience with Deity is limited (most of my games go unfinished).

I'll be happy with any submission here. I've never won at deity and early domination I've only recently tried.
I like the chances of the Iroquois or Celts, though. Perhaps look for a good start on a low dom. limit map and somehow get the ToA?

My initial strategy will be to pick one of the agri civs with a good early UU (aztecs, Iroquois, Celts) and expand until I can't anymore, build barracks, then jags/MW/GS and start conquering. I will build no wonders, since the AI will kindly build them for me ;) Standard practice is raze/replace - I won't bother - I'll just recapture cities that flip back. Eventually, I'll capture ToA (I may have to raze the city with the GLib in it if I'm not careful... that's an interesting thought ;) - will continue research through cavs. If the game gets beyond cavs, I'm in trouble, but I would be a little surprised if it even got to cavs.

AI's will all have late or useless UU's for a pangea - germany, america, russia, england, portugal, byzantium, korea.... that's a bunch of scientific civs, which might cause me a tech pace problem. I might have to rethink this list of AI's.

I'll set aggression high.

Deity has always been above me. I have had a few successes with the Iroquois at Demi God, but only at small and standard maps. I also find large maps too time consuming so I think I will give this one a miss and try and finish my Russians in space.

Good luck to those who will play this one!

So far I've abandoned two attempts trying to approach it like I did on sid, I think I'll give AT's suggestion a shot.

I'm toying with the idea of playing as Egypt. I just love those cheap chariots.

If not I guess that Gallics will win my vote. Plenty of wars, an unstable world packed full of weaker civs. I won't be starting for a while yet though.

I was thinking Egypt as well; I thought for a minute it might be better to go back to PTW for the stronger Industrious trait but then I remembered that the two Deity levels are not the same :(.

I'm not the best to try this while looking for my first deity win but,I tried AT's suggestion with the Iroquois against America, China, Aztecs, Zululand, Inca, and Mongols and no barbs. I was able to found ten cities before land ran out and got writing first and philosophy with a slingshot to monarchy. I got an SGL, rushed the ToA, built a stack of 60+ MW's and attacked the Mongols. After capturing the Oracle the other AI's joined in the dogpile and the Mongols were gone by 430BC. I lost a lot of MW's taking there cities, but still had about the same number when the GA ended, and army and several elites. I also traded my way to near-parity, only down theology in 390BC with all first tier techs in MA. I started another war to get my gpt back, by asking China to leave. I took another city in two turns, but then my MW stack got cut in half on one counterattack.
It was only 310BC all the land was occupied and the ai's had been warring the whole time, but the tech place was blistering. I had nothing to trade and the ai's all learned chivalry and invention by 310BC. I could smell a dogpile coming, only I was the target. China would give almost nothing for peace. I'm new to deity so I'm probably missing something. How can I slow down the ai's research pace so MW's can remain effective? Even without iron, archers and longbows kill a lot of MW's. Should I put even more civs in the game to minimize their room? I like agri trait for this, and the early UU works for awhile, but at this pace the other ai's will be industrial in no time. Even with the ToA, I was also losing tiles to the ai culture.
I'm thinking regular units might work for early wars, but that a later UU might be more appropriate. Maybe republic would be a better choice as well. I might try the Ottos or even Germany if the tech pace is always like this, but that seems unlikely to produce a great win date. Still, any deity dom. win would be pretty satisfying.:hmm:

@ PrinceMyshkin
Knight replacements will be good for this game too. As it's large and deity it will take bit longer then usual because of tech speed and distances. Riders will help to cross the distance, and militaristic and idustious are good trates in this game, so Chinese. Also War Elephant is very strong unit effectively 5.4.2. But the Indian traits are not that good.

Also celts are strong, agricultural, gaelic sword are not as vunerable on defence as MW, but do cost 10 shields more.

Germay is not a good civ, probablyfor any game, but Ottomans are good too, if you are able to get to Military Tradition. Also Shipai are not very usefull anymore when the AI gets infantry, which probably won't take that long.

Thanks for the tips, Nerovats. I'll take a look at the Chinese, I like their three movement UU and fast workers. BTW, I took a look at your awesome Iroquois emperor game. Wow, that's a lot of settlers you had early.:goodjob:

the key, I think, is to foment war... lots and lots of war.

deity AI's have a lot of units.
Slowing down tech pace can be done with pillagin armies... with all the war, you should have plenty of leaders!

We'll looks like I finally got a good game going. Am currently at 400BC and in my GA. Just eliminated the first AI, the Mongols, and should be able take out the Chinese within a couple of turns as well. Just had some bad luck witthe 7 turn anarchy and the constant flipping of Mongol cities. America has the ToA and are close so they might be next. Everyone's army is average except for Zulu but in 10 turns I'll have chivalry so no worries yet. I think I should be able to finish within the 500AD mark, not enough to win yet but it will make nr 1 for now.

I just won my first deity game, 1080AD Domination with China. None of my eight rivals had wc or masonry at the start and got the first tier techs with those. I researched just writing, philosophy, and literature to get to MA with a Monarchy slingshot trading philo for poly on the big picture. The 8 ai's fought with each other the whole time, making the first few conquests easy. I just missed capturing the ToA, which I never got, the Hittites beat me to the city by one turn, when Portugal was eliminated. I took out the Arabs my only neighbor to the north next, capturing HG and the GL. That took me to astronomy and gunpowder, more than I really needed though caravels were useful. Every war I signed most ai's into ma, but most went quickly. I thought I would have a good time finish, but the dom. limit was 1247 tiles.

England was last and they got nationalism just as I started war around 560AD with Riders and I lost alot of money trying to steal tech. My first MGL appeared in 600AD, but there were many after that. I had to research metallurgy and military tradition after a chemistry came in with a lone scientist to take them out. I saw a few rails, so I guess they got to steam, but no farther. Constant war really slowed the pace after the start and Riders did well even against muskets. I built a lot of temples and some libraries to cover more territory and I experienced few flips until the end. I tried to keep the English cities and one flipped with an army and 14 Riders waiting for upgrades. Riflemen were very difficult, even for 4-cav armies, so I'm glad I had the Hittites helping in that war. I still need to learn to be more careful with my elites, I lost too many taking chances. As a result my army never got bigger than 40-50 Riders/cav until the very end. I lost some armies taking chances as well when they were not fully healthy. I cash rushed settlers and culture as space appeared to get territory faster, keeping England alive with one city as I had an ma and MPP with the Hittites.

A very tough game at the start and the end. I tried many starts and failed trying to build settler factories first, but the ai was to quick to box me in. If I used the min. number of ai's I could have a better start, but they all got too big and wars did nothing to slow them down. Beijing in the end had only palace, the Pentagon, barracks and marketplace.

Arabia and Mongols might also be good choices, the expansionist trait can help get an early lead but at this level the huts aren't that good. If I took the Mongols I'd set the world to 3 byo to have more hills and mountains to compliment the Keshiks' move bonus.

If I'm going for another attempt after my current one I also might use a bad terrain world, just to try and keep ai small.

My current game advanced to 70BC, China is gone as well and took the cites with iron from the Zulu. Had to stop that war due to ww, now will tkae on America and claim ToA, hen take Germany and finally Zulu's again until hiting domination limit. Still expect a pre 500AD date, even though the war with Zulu's went rather bad. They had 10+ units in their border towns, hadn't expected that. Maybe I should have as they were in a choke, but usually ai ain't that smart, or they might have been preparing to start war with me.

Top Bottom