G+K laggier than vanilla?

That nerdy kid

Vampire Slayer Slayer
I have been playing a single game and, even on strategic view, My game has crashed about 3 times. This never happened in vanilla. Does anyone else have this problem.

I found that vanilla+patch was taking a bit longer on turn times than before, but in G&K the turns are going pretty normally.

The are a few glitches -- I've had one blue-screen crash, and one time that I had to reload the game because the Espionage screen wouldn't come up.

I have not seen a crash yet.
It DOES however seem slow on the loading screen.
For your crashing issues a couple things to try come to mind:
- Have you tried in the DX9 vs. the DX10/11 modes? There's a popup which asks which one you want when you first start the game.
- Standard update your graphics card drivers and ALSO your audio card drivers. You can mind the manufacturers for your cards by going to your system's Device Manager (inside Control Panel). Then you'll want to go to their websites for the latest drivers. It's common for graphics manufacturers in particular to release driver updates for their cards for popular games... an expansion to Civ5 may not prompt a driver update, but I would not be shocked either.

G&K is just about as good "turn-wise" as Vanilla from a month ago, but it is faster than Vanilla post-patch, at least for me.

Ive crashed twice while trying to use strategic view but regular view is very stableI think my strategic view is just broken but haven't tested it enough. Only lag is when I expend a unit to build something, like a fishing boast of great person. Turn times are back to prepatch.

My first game crashed during one of the end turn times during my first game around turn like 40. My next game ran fine with no crashes yet, fingers crossed and I have memorized the quick save key for the first time since I bought CiV.

On my Core Duo 2.66GHz Nvidia 9600M GT laptop 4GB RAM which is about 2009-10 vintage:
->vanilla+patch identical with vanilla pre-patch
->G&K just a fraction slower turn times than vanilla+patch which is probably to be expected
->Upgraded to latest 301 video drivers and scrolling speed probably only became fractionally slower if anything.

So performance is ok, but late game probably will still be very slow for older laptops.
Cheers

So far, I've noticed that turn times maybe start out a little bit slower, but they don't seem to grow in length as the game goes on like it used to. The only bug I've hit so far is that sometimes while processing Next Turn, Civ V will zoom to some particular part on the map for no reason. Once AI processing is done, zoom. Goes right back. Annoying, but not a big deal.

I'd try other DirectXs, as that might be the issue. Also, of course, upgrade your drivers.

Simplicity thanks for that. My measurements were based off the first few turns only which is in line with you. I'd expect multi-threading to be overall more efficient. If nothing else I'd expect that the user interface should respond quicker in the later game.

There are settings I haven't played with yet. There's one setting to define the number of threads.

I doubt it will make a different. Perhaps you have a point on directX.
Cheers

The only real slow downs I've seen are when spreading a religion. Once I click the spread icon it seems to take a very long time to calculate how many citizens I converted and to decide if that PG/Missionary has used up its last spread or not.

Funny, the game launches much faster since G&K was installed and turns go by perhaps a little quicker so far...I've only played up to about 50 turns, but it does seem better optimized.

Top Bottom