[G&K] Viking Supremacy

Inawordyes

In a word: Illyria
I got some good (off-site) feedback on my first/last story posted here, and so I decided to have another go - but this time, with pictures and such, and as I just started the game, as it is happening instead of all at once. I decided to model the posts the way that blkbltchemie did with "The Arabian Adventure", as it a good format.

The Initial Save is attached to the post in case anybody wants to try this out for themselves (though it is a modded game, so that may present some problems). All in all, I hope that this is just as, if not more enjoyable to read than my first.

Viking Supremacy

The Setup

• Civ: Denmark, Harold Bluetooth
  • Difficulty: King
  • Pace: Epic
  • Size: Huge
    • 22 Civilizations (21 AI, random)
    • 0 City-states
  • Domination-only Victory Type
  • Map: Shuffle
    • Start: Ancient Era

• Mods in use:
    • Example – Simple Clock (v. 8)
    • InfoAddict (v. 19)
    • Historical Religions (with Schisms) (v. 9)
    • Wonder Race (v. 4)
    • Policy – Free Warrior (v. 7)
    • UI – Small Resource Icons (v.3)
    • Units – Steampunk Airships (v. 8)
    • Wat Phra Kaew Wonder (v. 2)
    • Exploration Continued (v. 3)
    • Cultural Diffusion (v. 17
    • Expansionism (v. 1)
    • Falcon AI: Diplomacy (v. 1)

• Advanced Game Settings:
    • Allow Policy Saving
    • Allow Promotion Saving
    • Cultural Diffusion: Acquire Tile
    • Cultural Diffusion: Flip Tile
    • Cultural Diffusion: Tile Conquest

Prologue – A New Start – 4000 B.C

It felt like an eternity.

The nomads had finally reached their destination, A small strip of land nestled between the vast ocean expanse and a flowing river. These barbarians, gaining a greater awareness of their surroundings, experienced a vision of those that had come before, a past life that they had inevitably been a part of but had forgotten long ago. Spurred on by this revelation, they had packed what belongings they had and began a trek southwards, out of the harsh tundra they had called home and towards a new start, the beginning of something greater. It was a small group, maybe about 150 or so, but they made good pace, encountering resistance but ultimately making it in one piece. Making a home for themselves, tents quickly turned into dwellings, and a village began to sprout, a permanent residency for their aching feet. Memories brought to the fore, the nomads began to identify themselves as Danes, and they named their settlement Copenhagan.

A younger man rose from among the group, calling himself Harold Bluetooth, and claimed to have seen a vision – that of a man, telling him who he had been, what he had accomplished in another life, and what this lowly group of brutes would grow to become. He quickly gained the support of his fellowmen and became as a leader-of-sorts, a grand building being constructed in honor as his residency. His Palace would quickly become the center of the city, and as the city expanded, Harold could not help but wonder what his dreams meant – what would become of this city, the people now under his guidance and protection. He had a feeling great things would come of it, but that it would not be without its share of problems.

It would be interesting, seeing what would happen.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• VikingSupremacy_Initial_Save.Civ5Save
    712.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1 - Opening.jpg
    1 - Opening.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 325
(The entirety of this chapter happened within the first five turns of the game. This is gonna be a long story...)

Chapter One – Survivors – 4000 B.C - 3875 B.C.

Harold’s first decree as ruler was to build a monument to past, present, and future, in the hopes that it would stand as a memorial to those lost, the ones he had many dreams about. He dispatched a small band of warriors to serve as scouts, taking in the surroundings and getting a feel for this new, strange land. Just as quickly as they had left the city, however, they discovered the ruins of an ancient city off in the distance. Was this why their visions had led them here? Was there something important in those ruins that they were meant to find?

As the band of warriors made their way to this ancient city, something caught their eye, off the in the distance. It was unlike anything they had ever seen before, and yet, it felt very familiar to the warriors. Word was sent to Copenhagan, whereupon Harold joined them. They were right, something was familiar about it: He had seen it in his visions, a massive rock formation that guided his people in days past.

Spoiler :

Days past… The ruler took to his thoughts, remembering its name. “Uluru,” He spoke to much confusion from those around him. “I have seen it in my dreams. It was once known as Uluru. It was important to the peoples of this area, and so, to us as well.” He sent those that had come with him to inform the village of this, while he himself opted to stay with this warrior band, having been told of the ruins and wanting to see for himself.

And so the group went on their way, reaching the ancient ruins after a long period of traveling. The dwellings were decrepit, few left standing. But even in their destroyed state, they told of peoples far more advanced than those of the Danes, for some buildings towered even into the very heavens. Unfortunately, scavengers had picked the majority of the city clean of any trace of its former inhabitants, but not all was lost, for they had, while exploring the ruins of what appeared to be a gathering place of worship to gods, they had discovered a little boy. Then two, then a mother, and father, and from them an entire tribe of natives living from within this city.

They spoke words foreign to the Danes, such as they could not understand their attempts at communication. The natives, however, seemed to recognize Harold’s mother tongue, and an older man stepped forward, able to communicate, and established himself as the leader of this tribe, Erling. He showed the Danish ruler and his men to a place of warmth, and recounted the oral legend which he, as chief, had been tasked with remembering and passing down through the generations:

“My people were descended from a great and powerful culture from a place called Norway. They were a prosperous nation, home to many – we sit now in the capital of that great nation, Oslo - but they had fallen under hardship, and a famine struck their lands. They called out to those around them begging for help, and in his sleep, their king had a vision, of a great and mighty empire that would come to their aide, and that would arise again in the distant future and lead his people to salvation. And a nation did answer their pleas – The Kingdom of Denmark, led by a wise and powerful ruler, whose name is known in legend as He With Blue Teeth.

“The two nations eventually formed such a strong bond that they joined together as one Kingdom, and through this the Norwegian people were saved from their famine. But the world of ages past plunged into chaos, and all nations fell until all that stood were relics of a past long-since forgotten. But we have endured, waiting for that great nation of long ago to rise once again and deliver us to safety.”

At once realizing the weight of these words, Harold stood, facing the Norweigian chieften: “I believe the words you speak have been fulfilled this day, for I am Harold Bluetooth, and my people are the Danes. We were led here by visions of the past, and it is not by fate that we have crossed paths today.” He smiled.

They were here for a reason, to save these people. And with that, Harold led the way back to Copenhagan – a name Erling seemed to recognize – with the tribe in tow, providing shelter while the band of warriors continued in exploration. He had found a purpose for their travel here – and so soon. A little too soon, he thought. He continued to be plagued by the words Erling had spoken. What chaos had enveloped the world? And, perhaps more pressing, would it engulf this world too?

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2 - Uluruins.jpg
    2 - Uluruins.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 3 - Survivors.jpg
    3 - Survivors.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 303
(More reasonably spaced-out this time)

Chapter Two – Exploration and Achievements – 3875 B.C. - 3125 B.C.

At Erling’s suggestion, the band of warriors went further south, accompanied by a few willing Norwegian men. They came to rest aside Uluru, taking in all its glory; it was for sure a landmark, a natural wonder that would define this area of the world. But they continued southward, whereupon they found the ruins of another forgotten city. Unfortunately, there were no survivors living here, but in amidst the ruins they found fragile pieces of … something, which had a process of mining the earth for its materials painted upon them. A messenger was quickly dispatched to bring these to Copenhagan, and soon the process needed to be able to achieve this was known throughout the budding city.

Spoiler :

The band of warriors eventually reached the end of land and beginning of water, which they came to refer to as the Sydspids Sea. They then started making their way west, learning the coastline of their locale and realizing that they had settled at the neck of a land strip, with the Sydspids surrounding on three sides. This information in hand, they began their journey back to Copenhagan to inform the people of what they had discovered.

Spoiler :

In the meanwhile, after three centuries of work, and with help from the Norwegian immigrants, the last stone was set, and at last the monument stood completed, situated in the center of the city – to which a square had begun to form. Harold commissioned the workers to organize a force from which to work the land surrounding the city, and the warriors returned as the workers began readying their tools and such for the task at hand.

The warriors had been in the city for a short while (relatively speaking) before Harold sent them out to scout out the area north of the city. To their great surprise, all they found was more coastline – they had settled on an island! But they knew they had travelled across land the entire time. How was it that they could have found their way across the vast expanse? In any case, with no land left to scout, the warriors made their way back to Copenhagan, where they took up residency and made their homes.

Spoiler :

The Norwegian tribe was quickly integrating into the Danish society, and with them brought teachings and abilities that improved life in Copenhagan. One of their first achievements was that of Pottery – turning clay into usable material, such as bricks. Several new dwellings were completed using this technique, and Harold saw that it proved to be a better building material. Due in no small part to their efforts in preserving an oral record of events, Erling also impressed Harold with the Norwegian’s efforts at maintaining Tradition, and he began to call himself Lord Harold Bluetooth.

But with news of their landmass being that of an island spreading throughout the city, Harold could not help but wonder at the turn of events, and how the Danes had managed to move about water. The city continued to grow, and eventually, plans were made to test the capabilities of vessels on water, but it would take many years before the designs would lead to sturdy-enough vessels that could float on water without drowning into the ocean (and taking its crew with it).

The years passed, and a system of Legalism was implemented, providing a set of laws and regulations which all Copenhagan citizens were to abide by. This led to a Worker Union, which tasked itself with improving the city and indeed, the entire island. While farms were established to provide food for the city, that food was in turn stored, and a Granary began to be constructed to use as a means of storing and using that food in new ways.

And finally, vessels made of wood were shown to be able to take hold of the sea and stay afloat. Sailing the seas and taking command of the oceanic resources was now a real possibility. But this was something new to them, and yet, apparently, they had already achieved this feat in order to get to their island. But Lord Bluetooth knew that wasn’t the case, they all would have remembered. So the question remained, then: how exactly did they get here?

Attachments

• 4 - More Ruins.jpg
    4 - More Ruins.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 5 - Mining Ahoy.jpg
    5 - Mining Ahoy.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 6 - Sydspids.jpg
    6 - Sydspids.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 7 - An Island.jpg
    7 - An Island.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 285
Great read so far. I like the sort of 'amnesia effect' you've given to Harald Bluetooth and all of the detail you are going into--I can't believe the first chapter was just 5 turns! The story from the leader of the Erling was fantastic.

I must say that I like the format you've chosen! I really like how you bold the game concepts (technologies, policies, and whatnot) and if it is all right, I'd like to incorporate that into my story as well?

Looking forward to reading more!

Great read so far. I like the sort of 'amnesia effect' you've given to Harald Bluetooth and all of the detail you are going into--I can't believe the first chapter was just 5 turns! The story from the leader of the Erling was fantastic.

I must say that I like the format you've chosen! I really like how you bold the game concepts (technologies, policies, and whatnot) and if it is all right, I'd like to incorporate that into my story as well?

Looking forward to reading more!

Thank you very much!

I'm writing the story as I play (so I'm subsequently doing more writing than playing), so the story is evolving as it goes along. I had a vague idea in mind when I started, but I definitely know where I'm going now - but then again, plans will repeatedly change depending on how I play the game.

Heh, well I would hope you like the format, since I based it on yours. :) But I did come up with one or two subtle improvements (such as what you mentioned, though I do it the first time something major, such as a character, civ, tech, wonder, or a major geographical feature I named, comes into play), and if you want to incorporate them into TAA, please, be my guest. If we bounce formatting ideas off of each other, then both stories benefit.

I will get back to the game relatively soon and have an update ready to go. Oh, and Erling is the name of the chieftain, not the whole tribe (they are Norwegian, or rather descended from them).

Top Bottom