G-Major 107

I think there's a BUFFY setting, that hides some options, and is enabled by default. I'll dig around and try to find it.
A tiny map isn't really necessary to be competitive - both my 1740 game and my current one which I expect to beat it are on 1000+ tile maps - it just changes the style of the game.

I think there's a BUFFY setting, that hides some options, and is enabled by default. I'll dig around and try to find it.
A tiny map isn't really necessary to be competitive - both my 1740 game and my current one which I expect to beat it are on 1000+ tile maps - it just changes the style of the game.

I don't get the option even on a fresh install, or after patch 3.19. With or without BUFFY. I see warbean had the same problem back in 2009:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-308079.html

It's starting to make some sense. BTS\PublicMaps provides, for example, global_highlands.py, which has worldwrap. However it doesn't have Pangaea, Arch, etc. So it must use the vanilla one which has no worldwrap. I don't have Warlords, but I never had it and toroidal did work at one point. So, question: Does anyone have a non-Warlords installation, and if so, where'd you get a new Pangaea.py file? I assume if I try to change these files, the HoF will reject my ass-ets.

(sorry for the OT tech support. I'll take it somewhere else if I don't get it solved after this try.)

Looks like your installation went wrong, are you sure you have completely uninstalled the game before reinstalling? The game doesn't really do a good job on that department on its own, especially when the original installation has been modified by some mod. I suggest you to do use revouninstaller to do it, and retry a fresh install after that.

It's starting to make some sense. BTS\PublicMaps provides, for example, global_highlands.py, which has worldwrap. However it doesn't have Pangaea, Arch, etc. So it must use the vanilla one which has no worldwrap. I don't have Warlords, but I never had it and toroidal did work at one point. So, question: Does anyone have a non-Warlords installation, and if so, where'd you get a new Pangaea.py file? I assume if I try to change these files, the HoF will reject my ass-ets.

(sorry for the OT tech support. I'll take it somewhere else if I don't get it solved after this try.)

I bet the Warlords versions of Vanilla scripts were included in an intermediate BTS patch, but not 3.19.
edit: going by the last modified date on the files, my money's on 3.13

My current game is in 1280AD and I have 21% with a Mediaeval start. Tropical setting seems work as it really slows down the AIs. One of them whom I'm about to conquer still doesn't have Feudalism and I don't have the boxed in syndrome this time. I am one turn before guilds and am actually the tech leader. I hope that a 16xx finish date is possible.

I bet the Warlords versions of Vanilla scripts were included in an intermediate BTS patch, but not 3.19.
edit: going by the last modified date on the files, my money's on 3.13

That's exactly what I was thinking I would try next, but I was thinking it might be an intermediate Vanilla patch, like 1.61. But it's easier to try your idea first. Thanks.

My current game is in 1280AD and I have 21% with a Mediaeval start. Tropical setting seems work as it really slows down the AIs. One of them whom I'm about to conquer still doesn't have Feudalism and I don't have the boxed in syndrome this time. I am one turn before guilds and am actually the tech leader. I hope that a 16xx finish date is possible.

Good luck with your Mediaeval game!

My first Medieval game had two Banana, Ivory, Iron and Copper for the capital which is now population 12 and generating 25-26 base Hpt * 1.75 (Bureaucracy + Forge) = 43-45 Hpt. That's just over a Trebuchet every two turns. The second city had Riverside Rice, Pig, 3 Dye and Silk. I built a stack of seven 5XP War Elephants, one 5XP Crossbowman, one 3XP Crossbowman, one 3XP Catapult, and six 5XP Trebuchets.

My first target was Frederick to secure Marble for the National Epic and Herioc Epic. Unfortunately, he bribed Victoria and Asoka to attack me. That diverted me from Frederick's capital temporarily. Neither Asoka or Victoria have enough units to be a threat; my core cities have Castles and the capital has Longbowman + Crossbowman + Maceman defenders. I may resume my attack on Frederick, this time taking his capital. I'm close to completing Guilds (4 turns); maybe 20 turns more for Gunpowder. Game is now at turn 70 (1300 AD).

The key strategic move was using the first Great Scientist to bulb Philosophy a few turns before completing Engineering. This allowed a trade for Theology and Music the following turn. That set up trades of Civil Service for Philosophy + Music and Feudalism for Music + Theology.

I made a few mistakes in this game. I built more than just Barracks and Stables in my core cities. I built Libraries late and should have built them first. I should have delayed building half price Coloseums and Theatres after completing my initial stack. My capital built well over my entire stack.

I may continue this game later, but I plan to find an equally good Medieval start and focus more on research to get Crossbowmen and Trebuchets much sooner.

Sun Tzu Wu

That's exactly what I was thinking I would try next, but I was thinking it might be an intermediate Vanilla patch, like 1.61. But it's easier to try your idea first. Thanks.

SOLVED

Thanks! You were right. 3.13 added the scripts, so 3.19 doesn't include all previous patches. Bad Firaxis.

Good luck with your Mediaeval game!

I may continue this game later, but I plan to find an equally good Medieval start and focus more on research to get Crossbowmen and Trebuchets much sooner.

Sun Tzu Wu

You haven't written about the percentage - I would be wondering :)

My game is in 1470 AD with 38%. I have 13 knights so far, AI-s getting stronger turn by turn, but not too many remained of them. Actually I could only vassalise Lincoln but destroyed De Gaulle and crippled Bismarck, Isabella and Napoleon as well. So actually 3 good opponents left, and I am going to get the rest of the 60 % like Hitler did under Stalingrad - by fighting for every street, regardless from the number of victims.

I'm at turn 83 (1480 AD) with a much smaller Land Domination than yours. For the last 15 turns I've been DoW'ed four times and made peace with two of the culprits for small Wealth amounts. My units are split between two cities under siege by the two remaining back stabbers. On the bright side, I'm just four turns from Gunpowder. Then I'll pay back Victoria's long seige of my capital with Drill IV Oromo Warriors, before she even gets Printing Press (she already has Gunpowder). Shame on me, if I don't wipe her out before she can upgrade units to Red Coats (Rifling).

Sun Tzu Wu

That's a serious shame ZPV's game won't stand a chance with optional starting era.
Because otherwise it is a pretty good game, but classical ones or medieval ones will get upper hand.
Myself I chose the HoF path just to annoy Kovacsflo! 'twas a nice 6 hours game.
Originally, I was opting a random game (like that good Shaka game I had with fractal and I won 1780 AD conquest with 8 opponents) but given real life pressures I had to opt the regular easy pseudo deity game (*trigger*).

That's a serious shame ZPV's game won't stand a chance with optional starting era.
Because otherwise it is a pretty good game, but classical ones or medieval ones will get upper hand.
Originally, I was opting a random game (like that good Shaka game I had with fractal and I won 1780 AD conquest with 8 opponents) but given real life pressures I had to opt the regular easy pseudo deity game (*trigger*).

You Suck Tachy!!! :cry: Now that you are in first place, I will cop to a 1410 finish with an Ancient start. I have to say I was enjoying the commentary from Kovacsflo and STW with a goal of victory around the 1600's. I did it with horse archers, cuirassiers and cavalry. I built one pile of crap city to get my horses and went to work. The next city was built around 1360 on tundra.

1410 AD on an ancient start is awesome according to my book. In fact, your choice is more respectable to my ultra-cheese. But RL got me and I wanted something zipping and fun.

In fact, you should have intervened just like some games to disable that open choice of starting era. It is way too unbalanced. Ancient start deity is all about the lost time on unefficient means (15 turns on a worker to mention one instance) while later starts are about to start wars as soon as possible.

We can have discussion too only if you enable you profile comments page again. I like to spam.
mabraham had pleasure to delete them all.

I have a 1595 ancient game too - this one mostly with cavalry - now in 3rd place. I'm tempted to just turn on PAs and abuse the AI's tech rate.

Oh damn, so now it is 1410 AD is what we need to beat, doesn't seem cheesy - especially not with a Mediaeval start. I think I am going back to classical starts. But I still think that tropical climate helps a lot.

I noticed that small maps have their disadvantages. There are more coasts and an average city have less land tiles in itd radius.

:nya:

Good luck Kovacsflo.

And I repeat, all non-ancient starts are either cheesy or pseudo-deity. I'm not lying myself and coldly see the facts.
The main difference is the lost turns that are useful for the AI. While the human almost does nothing 4000-2000 BC, the AI can do a lot in that time range.

While an ancient start allows the AI to spam an army by T115, in an non-ancient start, you readily get access to trained soldiers and the AI cannot retaliate.

And non-ancient starts tend to make all players fair, diminishing the AI bonuses and later the stage, less the AI advantage.
For instance, a classical era start makes the human an AI's identical technologically while the ancient start highly advantages the AI.

Top Bottom