G-Major 13

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+2](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: Korea
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 2.08.004
  • Date: June 27th to July 24th
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

If you are at the big continent, does it have over 56&#37; land? Or is there multiple continents?

Either way, this game is going to be tough on emperor. Koreans hwacha maybe the way to go.

Just curious...seems like Warlords only, which means that version 1.61.011 wouldn't apply, right?

Just curious...seems like Warlords only, which means that version 1.61.011 wouldn't apply, right?

I concur! Korean doesn't exist in Vanilla. I'm 99.99% sure about this.

I'm not going to even bother with this game, since there is very little chance I'll win any wars, let alone get at least 50&#37; of the land.

I'm glad the poor old Koreans are getting a run for once, but I think this one will be a huge challenge for me. Let the advice start rolling in!

i know it's possible to have enough land on your starting continent. this example shows that. but looking at the size of the other continent on that mini-map gives me the impression that it's in no way guaranteed ... unless the code somehow guarantees that the human starts out on the largest continent and also that the largest continent is big enough to reach that limit.

No Major AND no Minor for Vanilla :cry:

This seems to get difficult in four ways:
-we can't play Rome or Inca
I like this! Wanna try his UU.

-we use continents
I will counter this by using the maximum number of AIs, so my chances for winning on one continents is as high as possible.

-we use warlords
I like this too, there are some nice features and much less loopholes.

-we use epic instead of marathon
This raises the high difficulty even more...

Anyway I think I gonna research until catapults and then try to conquer the world recklessly.

-we use continents
I will counter this by using the maximum number of AIs, so my chances for winning on one continents is as high as possible.

But what if there are multiple continents. I think this is usually the case if you choose a lot of opponents

I won't have a chance to start this one until I can get GMinor 21 and GOTM20 out of the way first. So many games, so little time.

But what if there are multiple continents. I think this is usually the case if you choose a lot of opponents

Mh, I don't think the map creator has a relation to the amount of civs.
You can also check for the amount of land tiles at start.

I just can't imagine that you win this gauntlet with buildings navy.

Ok, start my first game, 10 other AI and no barbarians. So far at 500 AD, my home continent is too small to get 56&#37; land, because there are only 2 other AI on this continent. After eliminating Monty and Bismarck, I realize my horrible fate, that is I have to do all the tech myself! Right now I just finish MC, and now teching for machinery and later optics to build some oversea carvels.

The maintenance and civic upkeep on Emperor level is what keeping me from expanding in this game. I'm not sure how other AI are doing, but I know from demographics that I have the least soldiers but 2nd on land area. The last religion found at the other places was Christanity.

Also, I can see the other AI had built all the wonders from the ancient age and that some AI got a great general. (I purposely setup the game, which has the most peaceful leaders like Gandhi and Elizabeth and aggressive leaders like Monty and Ragnar).

ok, first game I finally finish in disgrace...I end up retiring, because I just lost all my oversea expansion forces. I could wait for tanks, and I can see a handful of other nations dont have oil. Right now, I am second in tech, after a loooooong catch up in tech with massive trading. Man, the ai at emperor level just have to much soldiers, my entire oversea forces were wiped out in 1 turn by alex. I will try another game where I start on the big continent and maybe somewhat less aggressive AIs and start with copper in fat cross.

ok, first game I finally finish in disgrace...I end up retiring, because I just lost all my oversea expansion forces. I could wait for tanks, and I can see a handful of other nations dont have oil. Right now, I am second in tech, after a loooooong catch up in tech with massive trading. Man, the ai at emperor level just have to much soldiers, my entire oversea forces were wiped out in 1 turn by alex. I will try another game where I start on the big continent and maybe somewhat less aggressive AIs and start with copper in fat cross.
Yes to have a chance at winning I think you have to find a rare map where you can dominate on your own continent. Much faster and you dont have to worry about those big stacks :).

I quit my first game...I surprised myself by successfully rushing both Louis XIV and Gandhi(rushing for me means before 500AD lol)

but I ended up way behind Hannibal in tech, and after I declared war he was just a monster...oh yeah, and the civs on the other continent started paying me a visit before I even had compass. Despite my likely ability to reach around 40&#37; of the land by completely taking over my continent, I would have been well behind the other continent and never would have been able to take them out.

Top Bottom