G-Major 131

shulec

Grrrrr... I AM the force!
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Any
  • Map Size: Large
  • Speed: Normal
  • Map Type: Any
  • Required: No Tribal Villages
  • Civ: Rome (Augustus Caesar)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.003s
  • Date: 25th August to 25th September 2014
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Just submitted my first attempt, pretty happy with it though I could have had a little more luck.

16th century, I might try again.

Culture games are a definite weak point for me. My first try was early 1800's. My second try was disrupted by too much war. My third try was looking much better. I came to check how many games had been submitted . . . and I saw No Tribal Villages.
Ugh - hate when that happens!

Gave this a shot. It turned out much better than I had expected. Hopefully it is accepted!

Did lots of mistakes, starting with choosing lakes map with tropical climate. It might have provided decent room to expand and slowed down the AI to make grabbing wonders easier, but it also meant that it took forever to get foreign trade routes or religion spread. I had founded two religions myself before any of the early three spread to my lands. And despite the AI being slow, I missed the oracle. Mansa grabbed it around 1300BC, much earlier than I had hoped for.

Settled on PH marble, second city settled on stone. Then I got super early stonehenge (2360BC I think), because I figured most of my cities would need early border pops and getting the henge that early would allow it to generate a fair amount of culture. After this it was basically major failgold abuse until the end. After I got the first batch of failgold from TGW, I think my slider never dropped below 100% until I libbed nationalism in 660AD. Then I stopped teching, because I had only about 5 cottages and didn't find Printing Press worth teching.

Peter and Brennus were the bad guys on the map, Peter was close to the east and Brennus my neighbor in the south behind the jungle. Took out Peter with HAs. At first I wasn't sure if that was worth it because he settled his second city in the middle of the jungle and I only kept his capital. But Moscow came with a huge amount of forests and allowed me to easily chop Parth, MoM, SoZ and Sistine, combined with NE and later Hermitage for a nice clean GA pool. With Peter out I had also secured my 9 city spots.

Eventually I became Brennus worst enemy. He was hugely backwards, but I still didn't want a war. So I bribed Gandhi, the AP resident, on him one turn before a vote and the next turn the vote came to declare war on the infidels. With the whole world against him I felt quite safe that he wouldn't send his backwards army in my direction. :cowboy:

Got 12 GA and bombed 1-3-8, I think. In addition there was the early Prophet from stonehenge for GA, a scientist to bulb philo and 3 low odds extra guys towards the end (2xGP + 1xGE), settled one prophet and took another GA with the other two guys. Had 4 religions and cathedrals in each of the LCs. Was tight in the end, all three cities became legendary within 2 turns. Rome ended the game with 50010 culture... :whew:

Until the last turn I thought the game would end up in a tie with neilmeister, that was when I didn't remember that turn length goes down to 5 years after 1500AD. I was very happy to see the year 1505 show up when I pressed enter for the second last time! Final date 1510AD.

Oh, now I am mad! :mad:

Seriously, that is a good effort. I was pretty happy with my date and yours is better.

Time to dust off the mapfinder saves I made for this I think, can't let a emperor large gauntlet pass me by....

Time to dust off the mapfinder saves I made for this I think
Please don't.. :please:

Oh well, I was afraid you were going to say that... Have to settle for 2nd then, I guess.

This was my first gauntlet game and I must ask, is there any difference between major and minor gauntlets other than the names and them going in different columns in your EQM table?

The only difference between major & minor is the time frame. Major has a month, minor's a fortnight.

Major's tend to be harder, with larger maps, because there is longer, but there is no set rule. Deity minor's do happen every now and then.

Just submitted another go, shaving almost 100 years off my original date...sorry.

Congrats! Seems you got the game submitted in time.

I briefly considered putting up a fight when you said you'd have another go. With a better map like inland sea I think I also could have shaved a lot of turns of that date. But unfortunately I wouldn't have had time to play another game. I picked lakes for my first game because I hadn't played that map type yet and I thought I wouldn't have any chance to threaten your 1520AD date anyway, even with a better map. How wrong I was...

Top Bottom