1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major 134

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by shulec, Nov 23, 2014.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Kai, Your map must be configured differently. Most of the AI in my game seemed to be stuck around 8-12 cities with very few options, if any, to expand.

The AI should not be able to make units faster than you can chop/whip them. They get distracted by buildings, wonders. The only hard part about getting 1.5x power is being able to afford the cost of that many units.

G.Warriors are the best 'bang for your buck'. In other words, you get the most Power for the least amt of hammers. A HorseArcher is equal to a GW, but costs more.

I could have gotten 6 peace vassals in my game, but I only took 5.

2. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

5 peace vassals!

That's outrageous. :hatsoff:

Maybe tropical was a bad map choice?
    Cold might have made the AI smaller.

Ya, I got oodles of G. Warriors. :D
    Love the 50% withdraw chance.

**Edit**
    Maybe I have 8 AI and you picked 14?

3. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I'm definitely a bit rusty. :lol:
    Keep running into "We fear your Enemy" when I'm at war with multiple civs and some of them won't vassal.
    Lots of Cease Fires messing up my war success.

Around Turn 314 now with 2 civs left and Mansa just won't give up.

4. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

I started a time-victory-game in between the two games I will play for this Gauntlet.

155h passed already and still 250 turns to go ^^ .

I'm glad to hear that Kaitzilla has become "rusty" and that Mansa is giving him a good fight.

Just remember Kai, Mansa has one of the lowest unit-producing-capabilities in all of CIV, you're having problems against a peaceful and cowardish backstabber!

To answer your questions from before, because WastinTime isn't showing up, yes, he went maximum AIs and if he really finishes before T250, I'll probably give up on this Gauntlet and cry 2 days long ^^ .

No, I'll rise like a Phoenix again and play out that unbelievable peace-vassal-method in a war-game. I'm glad that you only took 2 peace-vassals, because play-style arguments will be the only thing left after he submits his game probably.

5. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Mansa went crazy I swear! :crazyeye:
    I killed 8 units a turn every turn for 7 turns at the start of his war and he still had a couple more stacks of 20 standing around.
    Shouldn't have let him get 22 cities.

Here's my game highlights:

Rolled high seas/tropical/8AI (Cold+14AI might have been better? :hmm:)
    Popped Animal Husbandry and Writing from huts. (Masonry+Fishing too I think)
    Bulbed Math and Oracled Currency.
    Then traded for a bunch of gold and slow teched Construction, Horseback Riding, and finally Feudalism.
    After than, turned teching off to generate gold.
    All techs after that came from a bulb, trading with AI, or trading with vassals.

Some Screenshots:
    Spoiler :

I was surprised by how good Guerilla III Swordsmen and Longbows were.
    The 50% withdrawal and +25% hill attack let me kill off enemy Longbows with a proper mix of Elephants and Catapults.
    Ended up building 100+ of them :)

Not one single peace vassal! :hammer2:

Also want to say Pacal tried super hard to screw me over midgame.
    I noticed his little fist but didn't think much of it until this happened:
    Spoiler :

:cry:
    I ended up gifting Pacal some gold so I could beg 10 from him to get 10 turns of peace.
    Then his army went back home while I furiously whipped and chopped an army to face his inevitable attack.
    I scouted where his army went but it was gone.
    Then I scouted southeast into the forests, but still no Pacal army.
    Where did he go? :confused:
    Spoiler :

:mad::mad::mad:
    Like some kind of mad ninja, he snuck around way to the northwest where I was too weak to defend.
    Reminds me of why I still play Civ 4.
    AI can always surprise you unlike some games.

6. WastinTime

I'm still here reading along. My game is over but it's interesting watching your struggles. None of the AI in my game acted strangely as yours.

7. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

I've lost my drive to play this Gauntlet over the time-game which I played in between, can anybody help me?

Kaitzilla's post helped me a lot already, because I saw, that he also played with non-perfect city-spots and that his game didn't went completely smoothly.

I don't know, I start with 3 Golds and have enough Food, but want to throw the game away because the 2nd and 3rd city don't have river-connections and because my Workersteal happened in T50, not 13 like in WastinTime's game.

Has anybody else finished a game until now from which he can report? I'd be very glad.

Tia, Seraiel

8. WastinTime

I had a few fancy tricks in my game that made it so much more enjoyable than I imagined. Maybe one of them will spark new interest for someone.

This worked well:
    Beat down on the AI to your East, leaving him a city or two. When you get a crappy one with no food in the jungle or something,gift that to the AI to your West.

Watch as the western AI roads all the way to your empire towards her new far East city. Once the workers arrive in your homeland, and you're ready to take her out, grab the free workers and several of her cities. You should be able to set up an ambush of some military units too. When you get a crappy city from her, gift it to the the Eastern AI that you left alive. He'll take it because he has less then 4 cities. Let him do some roads for you too. Now you have a major east-west pathway.

This also serves another purpose. It kills the AI's research rate since they have a city so far away to maintain.

Another variation of this trick that I used:
    I got another city too far away and too expensive to keep. So I gave it to any AI with less than 4 cities (they'll take a city anywhere on the map). I had no idea where this AI's homeland was, but I figured it would get me some roads on the other side of the globe, and I could own the city later when I DoW him.

9. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

Genius as usual.

10. Pollina

Pollina Emperor

I tried something similar years ago, after DanF suggested a city gifting strategy in Kaku's SGOTM15 thread. My game was on Monarch or Emperor, and the AI was too slow to send workers over, so it did not really make a difference. I had not thought of it, but the settings here (Deity+ridiculously large map) are obviously ideal for that strategy. :goodjob:

11. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Thx for that post Wastin!

I now got a new motivation, different one though. I now hate Kaitzilla for finishing over 1000y earlier than me, pushing my current Gauntlet game down to 13.3 points :mad: .

Hope I still got enough time to finish an additional game, I cannot play as much as usual this month.

Ph34r m3 Kaitzilla :mad: :D

12. Firmlife

Firmlife Chieftain

I'm out for this gauntlet, which is a shame, because it's an interesting challenge.

I was having some success playing the type of game Serial posted about. But when it became clear that there would be finishes in the BC's. Well, clearly my first approach would be more or less a waste of time. And I'm not sure I'd have the time to learn the necessary techniques to be competitive, or the patience to get the kind of game needed.

To be competitive with WastinTime (not to beat him, mind you, I'd settle for competitive), you're going to have to get a worker early enough that you'll need to hut either Agriculture or Animal Husbandry at a minimum. Then you'll require enough food in your core cities, and some gold in the vicinity to help your economy. That's a lot of maps to burn through. And, of course, you'll need luck down the line in stealing workers, handling diplomacy and DoW's and vassaling (whose dynamics I'm especially unfamiliar with).

I choose to spend my time elsewhere. Good luck to everyone still working on this!

13. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

That's actually a really good idea on Deity Marathon. :goodjob:

:mwaha:

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

This is very true, and it's also what demotivated me.

However, it's about the competition, and I know I can beat Kaitzilla and at least be competetive with WastinTime . I'm not sure, I have enough time for this though, but a 3rd place in the Gauntlet would also be very ok for me.

What I've learned already from Kaitzilla's game, is, that my approach of teching to Cuirrassiers is probably wrong, the game can be won with far less advanced units.
    Also, I still haven't played on a map with less workable tiles (so with solid mountains) and with 14 AIs, and, my diplomacy is usually also really good, so peace-vassaling is an option, I only wonder how to get 1.5 times the power of AI, but I guess it's possible with skipping more buildings and with AIs being crippled with the mentioned settings.

Playing is also about adapting, and if your first game lands on the last place, it doesn't matter, you'd have done a lot better in a 2nd game, so please don't quit, but play the round to the end. At least, you'll get a Celtic EQM entry on Deity.

@ Kaitzilla:

You talked about choosing the "cold" setting instead of tropical for the map twice, is that even possible? In my version of CIV, tropical is "locked" for this type of map.

And: What does your smiley mean? Cannot find it below the smileys in the advanced editing mode, looks kind of evilish. You know that I was joking, right?

15. WastinTime

Kaitzilla has a 240 BC in. Would you like to retract any statements? :mischief:

16. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

A german polition once said "What does the "slipslop" I talked yesterday interest me today?" ^^

17. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

To get "Cold" settings on Highland, pick a different map such as "Continents" first.
    Once you have "Continents" + "Cold" selected, change "Continents" to "Highlands".

"Cold" will become grayed out because it is locked, but it is locked as "Cold" :)

This is how you get "Tropical" Great Plains for instance.

The smiley represents a smile with an evil laugh.

18. WastinTime

I know this trick works in the sense that you see 'Cold' grayed out, so I've used it before, but I thought it actually had no effect on the map.

19. WastinTime

It's official. My game is accepted and I bumped Kaitzilla down to 2nd :D

20. WastinTime

I think you're talking about how an AI, when deciding to vote for Diplo win (or other votes), will consider his feelings towards you and your vassals.

After playing this gauntlet, I don't think this rule applies to Peace vassals...only for voting. In other words, I had AI that were Annoyed and as soon as I increased +1 to reach cautious they would peace vassal. Even tho I had 3-4 vassals already and even if they hated some of my vassals.

So either:
    a) shared diplomatic stance doesn't apply here, or
    b) the AI attitude for my vassals balanced out with them liking some and hating others.

I didn't prove it either way. Anyone else have experiences to share on this?