1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major 144

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by lymond, Feb 25, 2016.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

why resist the free upgrade to windows 10? I've been running it for a long time no problems.

Great writeup of your progress Kait. I've discovered all of the same things. Like building roads on islands with 2 cities so you can spread sushi 1t faster.

Hermitage overflow.

Gifting away sushi to stop the bleeding.

etc.

So much fun.

2. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

@ Kaitzilla: If you don't want your colonies to have Democracy, then simply trade all your techs (except Military Tradition ofc. ) to all remaining AIs. It's very very very unlikely that an MT vs. Democracy between the AIs will happen because colonies don't have enough :gold: to pay for the difference in :science: and the difference between Democracy and Military Tradition is huge.

3. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

There's nothing you can do with Win10 that you cannot do with Win7 and Win7 still lets you have control over your system. Did you actually even read the Win10 EULA? With installing Win10 you actually allow Microsoft to examine the data on your PC to their liking. Microsoft released numerous driver updates that destroyed the OS installations of thousands of users and numerous people's computer-parts even got bricked by certain "enforced driver updates" .

The real question actually should be "why not resist the Windows 10 update when Windows 7 is the best Windows that ever got developed" . There are two reasons I know of, hardware that's so new that it only has Windows 10 drivers (case of certain SSDs) and DirectX 11.

4. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Chieftain Supporter

MS Windows 10 breaks Civ IV Vanilla and Civ IV Warlords installations that depend on checking the CD to start them. The encryption software that checks the CD had security issues that have long been fixed, but MS Windows 10 still sees them as insecure and will not run them. The Complete Civ IV release does not have this issue though, since it does no checking of the CD for an encrypted key (I'm not sure though).

I agree with Seraiel. No MS Windows 10 for me. I'll switch to Linux, if Microsoft ever manages to install MS Windows 10 on my laptop and I'm unable to revert it back. I want to retain at least some control over my PC; I say no to Microsoft's Spyware Operating System aka MS Windows 10.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I'd argue Windows XP is the best they have developed, but sadly that's a little outdated now. I'd definitely not want Win 10 on my PC though, Windows 7 is bad enough, but still half-decent. One of many reasons I've changed to Linux, and permanently this time.

It's bad enough that it's so much easier to get viruses on Windows systems (they are insecure, and most viruses are designed for Windows), but I don't want the OS itself to operate like a virus - and a really bad one at that. And then you can wonder how many security loopholes they have designed into the system for NSA and others of their ilk to easily peak through.

6. WastinTime

Actually, I think DanF was right (as usual). I read the code. He said, and I agree, that "transports with cargo" won't disband. However, cargo will disband, and empty transports will disband, but you'll never lose a boat that had units on it.

7. WastinTime

It's more like 30,000 gpt deficit :eek:
    Running the game in STRIKE at the end is not a gimmick, or exploit. It is necessary. The question is when is the right time to set up all your fish nets and start the strike.
    I'm at the point in my game where I need to decide to go for it soon...or maybe I waited too long already :(.

Speaking of my game, I almost forgot events were on and then I got :
    Sports League!
    You must control Zeus, so hopefully you captured it and didn't raze it.
    result: free golden age!
    That gives me +2000 gpt and no anarchy.

8. Sun Tzu Wu

However, it seems plausible that all cargo on a cargo ship could all dispand in a single turn, since the number of units to disband keeps increasing as the STRIKE continues. It would not surprise me to see the cargo ship disband too in the same turn if its place in the unit list came after all its cargo. My point is it may _seem_ that full cargo ships are being disbanded, under certain unlucky conditions. I did not check the code to verify this. Even if the cargo ship must wait at least one turn after all its cargo is disbanded before it is itself disbanded, it could still look like full cargo ships are being disbanded, if one isn't looking closely every turn of a STRIKE.

Of course what _may_ look like full cargo ships disbanding is certainly just an artifact of large numbers of units being disbanded each turn.

9. Sun Tzu Wu

Kaitzilla mentioned building Banks. If building Banks to delay the STRIKE makes sense, maybe building Markets and Grocers to further delay the STRIKE makes sense too?

10. WastinTime

I can't see why settlers don't disband based on the code. Maybe it's a bug.
    Anyway, they don't disband based on testing. Therefore, you could keep 1 settler on each Galleon an then neither of them can disband :thumbsup: Now the only problem is sushi execs :(. If those didn't disband (they do), then I'd have to re-engineer my entire 2nd half of my game plan...maybe even re-work the entire game.
    According to Kaitzilla's testing they can't disband the turn they're born. But that implied they're dead meat if you need to spread to an island.

I feel like I could get an extra million points out of this if I played another game with an eye on the end game.

11. Sun Tzu Wu

Settlers never disband in BtS during a STRIKE; some of us have known this for years. Also, the last remaining defender of a city never disbands either. I believe that all other units do disband, except cargo ships hauling one or more Settlers; I was not aware of this until recently.

Hauling a Settler is certainly a clever way to prevent cargo ships from disbanding in a STRIKE, WastinTime!

A Settler is a proto-city is about as good a reason as any for why they don't disband in a STRIKE; cities certainly aren't auto-razed in a STRIKE; cities even retain a sole defender during a STRIKE, so one could say that cities/settlers have special treatment during a STRIKE.

12. WastinTime

Great people don't disband

13. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Boats with units absolutely disband during STRIKE sorry. :cry:
    Spoiler :

**Edit**
    Oops, you are right, I didn't understand what you were saying. :o
    Oh!
    That's genius. :goodjob:
    Yes, boats with Settlers don't disband as you've just discovered for us.
    They can sail around during a STRIKE yup.
    Spoiler :

Sadly units on the ship with the Settler still die to STRIKE.
    Spoiler :

There must be a good use for STRIKE immune Galleons. :hmm:
    I'll give it more thought.

:mischief:

The Devil's luck! :spank:

14. WastinTime

The nice thing about the galleon survival trick is that you could build a military unit (it won't get disbanded the turn it is born), transport-chain it anywhere and end in a coastal city. Again it survives because it's MP.

Note: it can remain on the galleon and it's still MP, so next turn it could attack a coastal city amphibiously.

Another value of galleons surviving is that you can kill of any enemy galleys, etc.

That's about the extent of the value I can get out of.

Hey, what about Pirates? It'd be nice to keep those for killing vassal's galleys.

15. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Those are some nice points. :)
    Not sure there is any way to keep Privateers from dying to STRIKE monster.

How about this?
    Assume all the enemy AI are done and you don't need an army anymore.

Whip 5 Sushi Execs.
    On the same turn, DOW the AI that gets all the Sushi resource gifts and take one of their cities. (The attacking unit garrisons the captured city)
    If you have 50:food:, there might be a -1000:gold: or -2000:gold: deficit.

The next turn, the economy enters STRIKE due to the extra Sushi, but the Galleons with Settlers don't vanish.
    The garrison unit that captured the Sushi AI city doesn't vanish.
    All 5 Execs get produced, get put on Galleons, and sailed to island cities.
    Move the garrison unit back onto the boat and sail it into a nearby city.
    Sign a Cease Fire with the AI and gift them Sushi resources until you are +300:gold: per turn.

The next turn STRIKE ends and you have 300:gold, so spread Sushi to 5 cities and whip 5 more Sushi Execs.
    DOW the AI with the Sushi resource gifts and take a city.
    Etc. etc.

In this manner, you can ping pong between 50:food: and 20ish:food: with no unit losses due to STRIKE. (Thanks invincible Galleons!)
    Galleons that do vanish to STRIKE are a pain to replace mainly because they take so long to sail out to form a chain.
    De Gaulle might be the only AI willing to sign a Cease Fire every other turn with 1 city capture though. :hmm:
    Maybe if you gifted and captured 2 cities, could use other AI. hmmm

16. WastinTime

So you're saying one AI will take 120 seafood (30 food) because it has sushi corp? Did you test that?
    Prolly doesn't matter if this idea works or not. It sounds WAY too tedious...even for me :D

17. Sun Tzu Wu

Thanks for pointing this out; I should have known this, but simply didn't think about Great People when I wrote my comment and I usually avoid strikes, so my experience with them is rather limited.

Maybe Great Generals don't disband either, but they are not considered Great People, so only testing can tell for sure.

BTW, I never depend solely on what the source code says. I usually test critical things in World Builder. Sometimes bugs in other places in the code can make the code one reads do the opposite of what one expects. For example, Settlers not disbanding in a STRIKE. Sometimes the code is simply obfuscated, making it especially hard to understand. Also, the XML code can confuse things when it is referenced in the C++ code.

18. WastinTime

Generals do not disband.
    Anything with a production cost = 0 (edit: or less than zero...as in this case)

19. WastinTime

This is why settlers don't disband. For some strange reason their cost is 0 instead of 100 in the XML. A worker, for example costs 60.

I guess the cost of a settler is calculated later (like for advanced starts). I'm not sure if this would be a bug or just obscure coding.

20. cseanny

cseanny Chieftain

Around 2 months left! I see NO games published in the HoF GMajor section.

Is anyone close to finishing their game yet?!?!!