1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major 144

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by lymond, Feb 25, 2016.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Not a joke.
    I had this idea about 5 years ago. I even posted it in the Buffy thread when they were thinking of bringing back Global Warming. (GW was accidentally over-nerfed)
    I never did manage to do a test game to see if the map's base pop is actually lowered when the tiles change.

This was going to be my secret to approach Infinite score! Reduce the map to close to ZERO food. (non-water map)

But global warming is no longer really active after they 'tweaked' it years ago.

edit: it would be best suited for a Time game.

2. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

:rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl:

Friend: Why is WastinTime nuking himself?
    Me: He's trying to get infinite score.
    Friend: But I thought you said highest score was max. population?
    Me: Turns out turning the world into a desert was better.

Good thing they nerfed Global Warming I guess.

**Edit**
    Actually, on a map with no water tiles, it might be possible to turn every tile into desert with the blast effect from Nukes. :hmm:
    (Desertification from nuke blasts has nothing to do with global warming)
    Just can't target tiles that have your city or your units.
    Would require a lot of city gifting.
    Not sure if river grassland turns into river desert of river floodplains from nukes either
    :hmm:
    Not sure if a 0 food map with a 1 pop city would have Infinite Score either. :crazyeye:

**Edit2**
    I've been told that nukes don't have a chance to change a tile into a desert directly.
    Global warming is the only way.

3. WastinTime

It wasn't dangerous for me. I just lost my workers during the last ~10 turns. (I didn't expect to go 50 turns after last sushi)
    I had no warring to do. Your way (keep Gil alive) is a lot more work, but really paid off for the extra Pop. I was looking for the easiest, quickest way to 10 mil.
    Same reason I didn't care about Ice. No intention of settling much there.

4. WastinTime

I'd still like to know if the base pop changes after the game starts. I suppose it would. If you worldbuildered a couple deserts during a game, seems like it would change. Test anyone?

5. WastinTime

I like B or C.
    I was gonna do B, but maybe now that I have this new idea for 15+ mil. I'll just reveal it there to draw attention and do a writeup as I play--with pictures.

[offtopic]
    Or, needing a break from score...I prefer take our new knowledge and do a proper Space Race first. Again doing the writeup as I go.
    Goal is either : BC launch date (T349) or if things go really well...BC win date (which is launch T319)!
    Join me?
    Any more discussion on this should be in a new thread.

6. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Hi WT,

I love the idea of a game where you post your progress as you go. We could all work together (by "we" I mean all of you guys! haha) to use every exploit to the max. Well maybe not every exploit like subsidizing AI resource trades but the ones you guys used in this game (including your accelerated research trick). Would be a fun learning experience for all.

Question, if you post the writeup as you go and even post your saves, would this game be eligible for HOF? If not, what can be done? Can it be played almost as a succession game but with only one person making the moves?

7. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I don't have time to compete in another major game this year because of my story, but if you want to try BC Space on Deity I guarantee I'd view the thread everyday. ;)

If you advertised a bit around the Civ 4 forums, you'd get tons of lurkers.
    Crushing the current 695AD Space Race record from last year would be something to watch for sure.

(That BC space on Settler difficulty doesn't count :smug:)

8. WastinTime

I think I just cannot post the save files. Discussion is OK.

9. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

You know this means that you'd have to post a bunch of screen shots. Can you handle that? :lol:

10. WastinTime

Wow, I just realized my target is 60 turns (or 90 turns) faster than that amazing game. :think: maybe I'm forgetting something. We'll see.

And, yes, I'm talking fastest Deity games.

sorry [offtopic] again

11. WastinTime

No, I wish I could delegate someone to do that for me! As you know, that's my newest tactic from the SGotM. But again, HoF rules forbid that :( Unless maybe someone on the Staff was the one opening my saves and posting :hmm:

12. WastinTime

back to the topic of best map for Score games...
    When I was entertaining the idea of exploiting the all-desert map, I also was looking into 'Rising Seas'. Any ideas there?

13. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I tested global warming effect on pop score at some point (mainly because I hoped to see these games end with you guys turning the whole world into a nuclear desert), it didn't work. Global warming turning tiles to desert did not affect max pop score.

14. Pinďa

Pinďa Chieftain

What a fantastic thread!

Congratulations to both Kaitzilla and WastinTime!

WastinTime, would you please tell us now what is your new game-breaking strategy? (Or did you already do that and I missed it?)

By the way, I appreciate the effort of finishing and submitting the two games much more than the actual values of your scores! It is very upset that some players tend to blame others for not being enough helpful (where 'enough' is measured by their own wishes) or consistently complaining about their bad luck (instead of typing into their calculator something like 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.7 before the decisive battle). Please, do not get discouraged by such trolls!

15. WastinTime

I didn't reveal yet except to my SGotM teammates.
    I plan to attempt a Deity BC Space Race soon and post a detailed writeup as I play revealing the tactic (and every other minor bit of wisdom), codenamed 'WB Economy'. Feel free to speculate.
    I will post a link to the new thread here when I get rolling. Don't expect anything until at least October.

16. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

Ahhh! World Builder Economy! Unstoppable!!!

17. Pinďa

Pinďa Chieftain

Yes, World Builder Economy was my first thought too.
    Work Boat Economy seems also weird.
    Google further suggests West Bengal Economy or World Bank Economy :).

EDIT: Maybe it is Whaling Boat Economy!

18. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

World Builder Economy? Probably the most user-friendly economy in Civ. Edit: I see we all think alike. :D

Or if we are looking for something tedious Warrior (Quechua) Building whip OF where you can get around 600:gold: per turn (Normal speed) if you whip 30 cities per turn? They eat a bit of maintenance but help as fodders when you enter perpetual strike? That could work on all speeds as money is sort of scaled.

Or Wasting Bedtime Economy where you simply grind so much that you start seeing and bending the game as you want (like Neo in Matrix), without entering World Builder.
    This way your games still get accepted.

So many possibilities...

19. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I will confess that my first thought was "World Boss Economy" before remembering that Civ 4 doesn't have those. :)

Then I went to "Warner Brothers Economy," where you spend so much time on each turn that cartoon characters from the 40s start appearing to give you advice.

20. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Oh!

That could be a few things.
    First thought is Worker Bait.
    In vanilla civ the player could lure out city defenders by sacrificing Workers, but this was fixed in BTS.

If WT brought it back using a new technique, it would generate unreal city capture results.
    Countless players have tried and failed however. :hmm:

Next thought is the war beg, where you take a peace vassal and then get rid of it once you are done making it research for you.
    Requires some new magic technique.

Beyond that I'm stumped.
    Figured out a way to make AI build wonders for you to take reliablly?

We just need to wait and see :)
    Maybe it is something obscure that only works well with Inca+huge map+marathon.