1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] G-Major 156 - Any Leader, Domination, Deity, Epic - deadline 24th February 2018

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

That time when you think ughhhh, gifting Zara cities..so easy and efficient, but never crossed my mind.
    Yup so i would def. set my goal to BC, while building up worked great in my game it feels like i could have saved 10+ turns on AI mechanics.
    I sometimes lose my patience on that, not good cos it's the difference between good and "wow" dates like your Brennus game :)

Engineering i was happy with (self teching), army movement was important for me and Trebs had better odds against longbows.
    Besides 1 GS for machinery bulb, i had another great person for golden age (mostly for anarchy free switching). I wonder if bulbing Engi can become an option (Gandhi tempts me with fast workers and PHI).

Talking about traits, i would not use FIN here.
    I could barely chop all forests i wanted, where do we take the time for cottages?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

I'm just building my first cottage around T120, but I played high seas and I'm getting FIN benefits on the water tiles, riverSheep, and gems.
    I seek out cities with water. To make it even better, the Ottomans just completed Colossus, and they were my next target anyway. Side note: here's a (lucky) benefit of letting the AI get Oracle. Ottomans took free MC. Now I'll get very early Colossus and don't forget...several free forges.
    2nd side note: I suppose I could try to steal MC. Or maybe get it free in a peace deal.
    Final note on Ottomans in my game: They're the largest AI at 9 cities. They don't have copper and haven't researched Iron yet! My Immortals should mow them down.

I'm in the center of the map :thumbsup: I let the AIs surround my capital instead of building settlers. Six AI have settled right up to me and Ottomans are one of them (did Khmer, Cathy, and Gandhi already). For the record, the other two are Fred and Mansa and I'll probably leave them alone to be peace vassals. It's a shame that 4 of 5 AI that will vassal at Cautious are the ones right next to me. Since I need to get double land of the AI--not counting any capitulated vassals, I have to attack my close neighbors.

3. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Sounds good, center of the map is so important that i will only try those starts now when i play again :)
    Also played with high seas, felt like i got unlucky with mountain + water combos making ways longer but in the end i understood it's just part of the map edge problem.

4. WastinTime

This appears to be false based on my game.
    Maybe there is a subtle difference. I DoW'd Joao's vassal, Catherine, which of course forced me to DoW Joao. On the next turn Joao would talk and capitulated to me while Cathy was still a vassal. This caused him to DoW Cathy. And, it allowed Cathy to talk with me and capitulate if I wanted. I didn't ever kill a single Joao or Cathy unit. Joao was squeezed in and only had 6 cites. Also he was at war with DeGaulle so he may have lost some of his army/power. Note: becoming my vassal ended his war with DeGaulle. If it matters, DG and I had a cancelable peace deal.

5. WastinTime

I completed my game! Not sure when I'll submit (to protect some of my strategy).
    It went very well. No surprise...I got 5 peace vassals, but I don't think that was necessary at all.
    I did the peace vassal thing mostly because it is a fun puzzle/exercise to try to get everyone happy and willing to do it. If I had just forced everyone to capitulate, I would not have had to be so nice all game long.

If I had to pick one big lucky thing about my map, it would not be the free tech from huts, and not that I was located just right of center. The really lucky thing was having a huge patch of ice just left of center that I could settle late. 5 cities fit in there.

kovacsflo and Noble Zarkon like this.
  6. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

Sooo, what about the finish date? Whom did you play with?

7. WastinTime

I was Darius. After the earlier metal-less targets, I managed to prevent one huge AI from ever getting metal, so I had someone to attack with my Immortals and reach 15-20% land. That was enough land (double) to allow me to take peace vassals.

Finish date was BC.

8. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

I knew someone will manage to reach BC after Flippy's game. I put a lot of efforts in this gauntlet, improved my first submission a little bit from 335 AD to 190, but that was far from being enough. Now it is time to congratulate to you and to Flippy for your impressive submissions.

Hope that by some future we can compete again, maybe in a SS or cultural gauntlet.

9. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

I might try again too, still lots of time ;)
    Congrats WT on your BC, not surprised yup.
    Sounds cheeeesy with Immortals and AIs not getting metal lol

And also cheers for your new improved date kovacsflo, imo all games on this setup that beat the old record deserve lots of respect.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

I already wasted too much time on this gauntlet... Actually I could beat your result as it took much more time to vassalise Louis, he already had lost half of it's cities before finally capitulating. In the meantime, 4 other (weaker) AIs capitulated, but I needed Luis's lands to win, and it took much longer than I expected, like 350-400 years long war, several cities with bigger army to be conquered with lots of catapults and other units. So if I didn't struggle with Louis, I could beat your result, but not Wastin Time's one.

The thing is that I just didn't have enough knowledge to predict when capitulating occurs, not in the case of Louis.

Other than complaining, I noticed that it might work to beat an AI with immortals if any of these are true:

- The AI doesn't yet have a lot of spearmen and you can easily destroy his mine at the beginning of the war - yet, it is risky as there might be an other one.
    - He has some cities which can be disconnected from other cities, so these cities cannot produce swordsman or spearmen any more. It requires some units to guard the 'entrance', preferably axemen.

11. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Same for me, not enuf vassaling knowledge slowed me down :)

I hear you with spending time here, not sure i will complete another one but possible.

12. WastinTime

It wasn't all luck. True, he did not get copper at all, but that's not too unusual on this map.
    Then, I could see he had not researched IW. He over-expanded IMO.
    He also had (like 50) chariots, so he didn't need IW. Or at least that's what he thought :mischief:
    So I searched is land for is Iron. It was way, way down on the south shore too. I sent a mini stack of 3 immortals to park on a forest near it. Seemed like a large enough stack to survive an attack.
    The immortal bonus against archers is very nice, but don't forget about the defensive bonus they get too. Came in handy here.

btw, economy was no problem. IIRC, I had a couple thousand gold extra. I did work pretty hard at it tho. Cottages and stuff.

13. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Did not mean to be disrespectful with cheesy, i know there's still lots of work & planning involved.
    Hope you accept it as little joke.

14. WastinTime

It's all good. The quick vassal taking is really the cheesy part.

15. WastinTime

I waited til after the 2/10 update and submitted my BC finish.