1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] G-Major 168 - Vikings, Immortal, Diplomatic - Deadline Feb 24th 2020

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Monarch (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Diplomatic (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Immortal
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Small
    • Speed: Epic
    • Map Type: Highlands
    • Required: No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
    • Civ: Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok)
    • Opponents: Must include America (Lincoln), Ethiopia (Zara Yaqob), France (De Gaulle), Native America (Sitting Bull)
    • Version: 3.19.005
    • Date: 31st December 2019 to 24th February 2020
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Lazybones

Lazybones Chieftain

I forgot how diplomatic victories worked and I started off thinking that I would need to try and get at least one other civ to friendly to vote for me. Now it seems like I probably could've just gotten vassals to vote for me.

Zara seemed the easiest to get to friendly, I also tried to butter up Sitting Bull just in case and this seemed to be looking good for a while. Eventually Zara overtook the other AIs so I would be forced to go in a vote against him so the plan changed to vassal Degaulle then Zara and be in a vote against Lincoln.

If I were to do it again I would probably add more opponents as the AIs had heaps of cities - Degaulle 21, Zara 18, Lincoln 14, SB 9 and me only 6. I picked seas and thin peaks, maybe a mistake but I don't like mountains. I probably could've (and should've) rushed for one other spot that had some resources but was stuck in jungle. I settled a few crappy cities later with no food resources just for population which turned out to be more helpful when I used cereal mills for the first time in ages. I was attempting to sway Sitting Bull with environmentalism.

I managed to lib rifling, draft then take out Degaulle surprisingly easy, probably because he kept fighting Lincoln. After the first war is where I have trouble recovering my economy and I limped my way to steel. Luckily it was epic speed so I had time to send 2 stacks a long way through Lincoln's territory to hit Zara's core cities quickly after declaring. The really lucky part here was that Zara's massive stack was wandering aimlessly in Lincoln's territory while I prepared. It moved through Lincoln's territory past one of his cities while they were at war then towards Degaulle (not at war) and then back to Lincoln's city where it eventually suicided. It really felt intentional not to hurt Lincoln too much. Against a human player I'm sure the stack would not have danced around like that and would've gone towards the city, bombarded then attacked. Since his stack was taken out it was again surprisingly easy to vassal Zara.

At this point I wasn't sure if I should get another vassal but I wasn't really in the mood to build military again, the problem was that SB was only pleased with me and I also worried that he wouldn't vote for me based on having vassals with lower relations as well. It was time for cereal mills (and mining inc). Rush buying execs was new for me and inefficient but I figured I didn't want to whip population away. A few votes for the win went past but SB wasn't voting for me. It turned out he was pleased with Lincoln as well :sad:. Thankfully the many farms and corporations I was spreading were closing the voting gap I needed. Then all of the sudden I won and SB had voted for me, maybe environmentalism paid off in the end :lol:.

Anyway, I'm sure people can beat the pants off my date but I'm happy with a win considering how unusual the game went for me :).

Noble Zarkon likes this.