1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] G-Major 173 - Aztecs, Warlord, Cultural - Deadline October 27th 2020

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Warlord
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Large
    • Speed: Epic
    • Map Type: Hemispheres
    • Civ: Aztec (Montezuma)
    • Opponents: Must include England (Churchill), France (Louis XIV), Germany (Bismark), Greece (Pericles), Mali (Mansa Musa), Mongolia (Kublai Khan), Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje), Russia (Stalin)
    • Version: 3.19.005
    • Date: 25th August to 27th October 2020
    Must not play as Inca.

2. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Some intrigue.All options not specified legit? Like 5 continents, huts and no barbs? Loaded a couple of maps and both had 4 gems locations. Potentially useful.

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Monty going for culture isn't something you see every day :lol:

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  5. Noble Zarkon

It's fun - you can whip all these temples and the sacrificial altar and Epic means the whip anger goes away incredible quickly.

6. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

I'll get a starter file for mapfinder. What I stumbled on in my Gandhi game was that Stonehenge before granary fetched a 16 culture wonder and an 18 culture shrine rather quickly. But then the start was pigs/stone and huts provided masony and not animal husbandry. That meant Stonehenge before pigs too.

7. Noble Zarkon

Problem with Stonehenge is the Great Prophet points pollute your gene pool - you really want all Great Artists with maybe one scientist.

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Looked at some maps and I see it's much like Terra, where resources are split between the hemispheres. Health is more crucial here, and astro won't exactly be a thing, so need some luck with what ends up on your home continent. Lots of land too, even with high sea level, so think packing it with AIs is the way to go. Unlikely to get a capital undefended here due to starting with Hunting, but still.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Over a month left so think I'll try out this one when I'm done with some of the other games I'm playing. Have played very few culture games, and none at low levels. Is anything particularly different than at the higher levels? Need to found a bunch of religions ourselves? Tried to find some guides, but the one from @jesusin and @godotnut is for Deity (or high levels). Good stuff, but I wonder if anybody have written something similar for lower levels, just in case there is anything to keep in mind there.

Otherwise I suppose the general approach is 2 cottage cities and one GP farm, or maybe 3 cottage cities here since we need a bunch more cities. I think it's 4 temples per 'cathedral' on large? If it's still only 3 that would be nice - maybe 9 cities is enough then. Big map and slow AIs tho, so maybe more cities would be fine.

10. Noble Zarkon

Yes you start with Mysticism and you take a run at Hinduism / Judaism, you'll have time for worker techs in between them. I built 2 or 3 warriors and rushed my neighbour while founding them both :devil:. You won't need more than 4 religions, after that it's just too hard to get them all spread and the temples built before you win!

I think it's still 3 temples - every city will need decent production or food to churn them all out.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thank you, this is great info. Feels so alien to go for religions early, but if we can get worker techs in time anyway, it should be fine, and will avoid the risk of those religions ending up on the wrong continent.

Hmm, are you implying that hammers may be more important than mass cottages?

Only 3 temples is great, I feared it was 4. Maybe it's 3 even on Huge? I hope it's possible to get 4 cathedrals per city. In the few culture games I've played, it was hard to actually build them in decent time, tho. Want to work cottages after all, so can't whip too mercilessly.

12. Noble Zarkon

I think so, you won't struggle for commerce a this level, although when I wrote this I forgot about the Sacrificial Altar .....

13. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Interesting. I may need to try that then. Suppose we need to tech basically everything too, and may not even get stuff like IW in trade.

Rolled some maps using whatever settings I had before. Am sure I'll waste some starts due to not being familiar with this, and I want to complete at least two games I'm currently playing first, so I don't forget about it and miss the deadline yet again. This one looks quite nice. Would prefer more cottage spots for a capital, but nice to have stone (would prefer marble tho). As you say, I don't think commerce should be an issue at this level. Should be easy to Oracle CS.
    Spoiler :
    Warlords 2gold culture start.jpg

Found some gems starts too, but not sure about those due to lacking early hammers. I'll probably want to get out some warriors first and hope to find an AI capital (altho it almost certainly won't be empty). Maybe we get lucky with huts and get a free worker too? Think that is possible on this level.

Suppose you have already beaten the previous HoF record (1520AD), but I'm thinking that should be my target. Also see that I miss a Warlords game for QM, so this gauntlet is nice in that regard.

iggymnrr likes this.
  14. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

I didn't have time after winning the last settler gauntlet. So I just decided to beat that record a day or so later. Mixed pool of GP points is not a big deal since only one of the legendaries had it. Stonehenge before granary produced a fast doubling of culture as well as producing a prophet for a shrine. The +5 culture from wherever also doubles so the shrine went to 18 culture compared to 16 from Stonehenge. That's 34 culture out of the starting gate. (Inca players can get +4 culture from a granary.)

GPs can also go for golden ages. Most artists came from support cities. Even with culture slider up keep building especially if chops are laying around. Cottages will help more late than hammers since cities may not be building culture exclusively. They also produce more food/health.

When does the Oracle go on warlord?

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Sorry for a picture from a game that may or may not be played out, but I started on this gauntlet this morning, after having completed one of the games I wanted done first yesterday. Lucky beginning. 22 turns in, and may have the three cities I need.
    Spoiler :
    Started building a warrior, hoping to find an AI nearby. Scout got gold from a hut, then located another hut and out comes a settler! Had to wander south as I'm sort of up against the NW coast, but found a nice spot. Double-food would have been even better, but the corn only showed up later. Got out an 8-turn warrior there too, and assaulted de Gaulle with 4 warriors, as he happened to be the closest AI and on flatland (fog-gaze). Turns out his capital was coastal too, so maybe the land is much bigger further south. But blimey, that's a lot of food!

G-Major 173 start with 3 cities.jpg

Gandhi is further south and he actually founded Hinduism. Looks like a killer spot, it has two gems + corn, but sadly the city is on a hill and will have 40% plus two warriors I think pretty soon. Could have been a potential legendary spot too, though the three I have here is probably very nice too. GP Farm in Orleans and cottages in the two others, with a decent amount of hills too. The capital isn't all that really with a little low food to feed the two golds, and I would have preferred more green riverside over so many plains hills. But it should be able to get out some wonders at least. I'd be worried about GP pollution if going for Stonehenge and all that jazz tho. But maybe that's the best play here after all? But first we need some workers, finally, and improve the food. Think I'll do AH -> Mining, and Fishing later. Shame for Orleans, but it can build a worker in the meantime.

Furthermore, there is marble between France and India (it kinda shows at the bottom of the screenshot, tho without the bubble), so once that is settled we have stone + marble. Hopefully copper is nearby too, and we should be set.

Felt very awkward to start with Meditation, but as long as I went with warriors first, it was okay, and we got there first (presumably not an issue on Warlords if you actually do it first, as the AI is penalised). Mansa showed up further south as well. May not matter much at this level, but still prefer to have him on our continent instead of the other (I'm using only two). Not seen rice yet, but I hope it exists in our world too. From what I understand, health is a bigger issue in these games than happy (which is a non-issue once we flip the 100% :culture: switch).

16. Noble Zarkon

Welcome to the lower levels!! Settler from a hut on Warlords is a 5% chance IIRC so pretty lucky, good stuff.

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Indeed. Didn't know we started with Wheel either. Quite nice for later, or for games where you get horse in the BFC for rushing. Though at this level warrior rushing is a real option so yeah... but it's one more tech we don't have to research ourselves. Imagine what it would have been like to have Deity starting techs and bonuses... wow! :crazyeye:

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Don't now the answer to this, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me it's (close to) 1AD. What is it on settler? I see you have played some of those, going by the interaction in that, err, diary thread.

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Yikes, didn't know it was possible for copper to be so skewed geographically.
    Spoiler :
    No copper in the known world, apart from in the very south. Very strange. Even at this level, a city that far away is going to cost, but I don't really have a choice. Need copper for Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism. First two are secured, the latter will surely be gotten too. Damnit.

G-Major 173-No copper.jpg

Apart from that, fun game so far. Oracled CS, and just got Alpha for what little backfill is possible against these cavemen. It doesn't show above due to the horse, but Gandhi did the double religion thing again. Hinduism + Judaism. Had to settle in his face to grab marble (got there 2-3 turns too late so he ruined a clam sharing site), but I reckon one of those should spread to that city pretty quickly. Otherwise he's pretty adept with missionaries. Only with Mono so far, which I should get next turn. Poor chaps in the other hemisphere. May not get any religions at all.

20. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Welcome to warlord. That's a nice GP farm and nearby is a corn/pigs too! One thing I'd test out is when AIs get their 1st worker. 4 warrior rush might get both a city and worker.

It's been awhile since I've lost the Oracle. Industrious leaders need to be checked. but I'd probably use it between 1000 BC and 2000 BC. Bulb Education, Oracle Liberalism and take Nationalism/Constitution. I remember something about the Taj or free speech.