1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major 93

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
    [/size]​

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Diplomatic (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Immortal
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Large
    • Map Type: Continents
    • Speed: Epic
    • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
    • Civ: Sumeria (Gilgamesh)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: 3.19.003
    • Date: 10th June to 10th July 2011
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker

2. cabert

cabert Big mouth

good one, the current #1 is 200 years later than the normal speed best, so there is room for improvement
    A good target would be in the 15xx I guess.

3. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Large maps again :D :badcomp: I'll have to fit a larger cooling fan.

My first thoughts on strategy are that a OCC might work, but on Continents it would have to be coastal or you would never meet half of the world :lol:.
    Choose a monster start location, make sure you pop the right Gt People - especially that Gt Eng for the UN - and that's half the job.

The other half is the trickier, though.
    Manipulating all of those AI to love you and dislike your UN rival. Large map, so 8 to 14 AI permitted. Trying to get possibly 6 out of 8 or 10 out of 14 to vote for you is going to be quite a challenge.
    (I usually play diplomatic games down towards the smaller end of the map sizes.)

Perhaps a gamble, that might pay off, would be packing the world with friendly types, and then putting one dangerous, expansionist monster in there. The gamble is that the monster ends up on the other continent, and dominates it by force.
    Then the rest of the friendly types vote for you and against the monstrous population leader!

4. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Having had my first look at this one, I'm ready to start thinking again about the best strategy.

Basically Gilgamesh has pretty poor traits for a UN victory, and getting any kind of decent game going at Immortal level with him is a struggle. I'm beginning to turn away from a OCC, and thinking of utilising the Vulture to rush one or two AI, gaining enough to run a 7 or 8 city empire.

Right at the outset, I made a rash miscalculation and set barbarians to 'raging'. :lol:. I was wiped out twice in succession before turn 40. The first time I only had a single warrior and couldn't defend against the constant stream of archers that came visiting from turn 27 onwards!

So, I reset the game parameters and tried a OCC with normal barbarians. I managed to get the Gt Wall up, but then proceeded to lose out on the Oracle, Gt Library and anything else that I went for.

One more try. OCC. Gt Wall. Missed Oracle but got Gt Library. Unfortunately I found that the 'monster' AI had been placed on my continent this time. I played on, and did reasonably well at research. First to Liberalism by 1 turn, but the closeness of the race meant I had no time to pick up Optics and so had to take Nationalism as my free tech rather than Astronomy :(. After that I found myself being overtaken on research by several of the AI, to the extent that the UN went while I was still about 10 turns from Mass Media :(. Game over!

So I don't think much for the chances of a OCC winning the race to UN any more.

Creative and Protective, and going for a diplomatic victory. Huh. How's that playing to your strengths?

5. Ozbenno

:lol:

:rotfl:

I liked this idea...

6. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Your a cruel man, Ozbenno!

:evil: I hope you'll be having a try yourself :mischief:

7. Ozbenno

:goodjob: Certainly will.

8. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Glad to hear it!
    Now I would be interested to hear some strategic thoughts other than my own.

My latest version is looking like this:

Multi-city game. High seas. Pick the AI so they are reasonable to make friendly, but also hope to have two nearby who can be attacked. Don't bother with the Gt Wall. Fog bust with warriors early and beeline to BW. Build Vultures and down the nearby civs - maybe not completely but enough to claim land for a good 8 - 12 cities. (Your creative trait will help fill any blank space between cities where barbs may want to lurk)

Then switch to research. Don't bother with wonders except Gt Library. (Marble will be useful in first couple of cities) Maybe Hanging Gardens, in order to generate your Gt Engineer later. (So stone would also be handy...)

A lot depends on being able to take Astronomy from Liberalism.

Then beeline to Mass Media and use your Gt Eng to speed the UN.

The diplomacy itself is going to be interesting. Hopefully you have not offended too many by your prehistoric attacks on their friends. (NB. Maybe better to take them out completely, rather than leaving a wounded civ who will never vote for you)
    I still have hopes for the 'monster civ gamble' I mentioned before. If you can find one who will (a) live on the other continent, and (b) aggressively expand over the other residents, then I think you could find yourself being a favoured candidiate at the UN.

Any other opinions?

9. Ozbenno

I'm tempted as a first resort to try a OCC. High seas and get a 2-commerce position by the sea. Might bypass Oracle to head straight for Pyramids and Great Library. UN is a Great Scientist bulbing exercise. Get plenty of them to bulb through the tech path.

Haven't actually tried this yet though.

10. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Looking at the better of my two OCC attempts yesterday, I managed to pop 6 Gt Scientists, 1 Gt Spy and 1 Gt Engineer.
    I never managed to find that ideal commercial spot by the sea, though.
    (Maybe if you could find one with Marble, Stone, seafood and some floodplains ... ?)

11. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

I'm getting closer, and OCC is definitely possible.

Just had a 2-gold, coastal start, where I was tech leader all the way up to Mass Media.
    Got a Gt Eng to build the UN. All good.

Unfortunately, I have sabotaged myself with my own choice of AI. They didn't get on, and I ended up sitting in the UN but with no hope of victory as there are 3 main power-blocs in the world and 2 of them don't like me. One is always going to be my UN rival, and only one of the remaining 2 will vote for me.

Close, but no chihuahua.

12. AAA

AAA Warlord

fun game

I was attacking someone virtually the entire game, very diplomatic. I'm sure they deserved it:lol:

13. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Nice one AAA. :hatsoff:
    You've set a very challenging target for us all. :hmm:

Evidently the exact opposite style of game from the one I'm attempting: - OCC, Mr Nice Guy.
    Bet I don't end up anywhere near 1200 though !

14. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Diplomacy a la Shaka. :p Nice to see you again AAA and that date rocks!
    I miss the days I had plenty of time...now I can only do one gauntlet/challenge at a time. :sad:

15. AAA

AAA Warlord

Thanks, it was an odd game.
    Average capital, but very good surrounding area.
    Didn't have a single wonder (except UN:)), but the tech trading was fantastic.
    My continent got every religion, so I could just drop my missionaries in all of the AIs on the second continent with no push back.

OCC is going to be tough at this difficulty, with this size map. I'd probably drop Monty and Genghis into the mix and try for a PA.

16. AAA

AAA Warlord

Sad but true, sad but true. One has to limit oneself ;).

17. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

I have played twice up to the UN stage using OCC (and quite a few games abandoned early). I can see that the tech-race part is achievable. Neither time the diplomacy part fell into place properly :(. The closest was when (unpopular) Augustus was largest pop as I finished the UN, so I got in by a landslide, but when the first victory vote came up (popular) Lincoln was the largest and split the vote. He stayed the largest thereafter and despite all my Machiavellian efforts to sway voters from him to me, I could never get the win and gave up.

I definitely like the idea of putting a bad boy or two into the mix in the hope that they end up the largest pop and make a very unpopular alternative to me in the voting. I have done this in my games. Sadly, the 'monster' has not become the largest pop in either game so far (Whats the matter, Genghis? Why did I hire you?)

PA is something I haven't yet considered in this one. Maybe because the time spent diverting off to Mil Trad and Communism seems like it would lose me the Mass Media race.

18. AAA

AAA Warlord

Those techs should be subcontracted out - thats what Mansa is for - but Monty and Genghis will allow :lol: you to be constantly sharing wars with the AIs you hope to PA when Communism comes up (and it always does because of the great spy). Often when it comes up you can have your pick. Just don't be the sucker next to Monty or Genghis :D

19. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Finally got to try out diplomatic victory by domination. I went with high seas and max opponents for more tasty capitals. I managed probably the best start to any Civ 4 game I've ever attempted. Just look at the sheer luck I managed to randomly generate on this attempt!

Spoiler :

I cried a little when I saw that stack of barbs. But wonderously, they all attacked that Russian archer on a hill across the river. I'm pretty sure the AI on immortal gets some kind of % bonus vs. barbs, because that little archer killed every single barbarian!

With that stroke of luck, I conquered west and then north, netting a very early pyramids. I was planning on building it myself with that russian stone, but he beat me to it :lol:

Everything went my way midgame. Every war went perfectly. I got an unexpected DOW from my neighbors Bizmark and the lone unconquered Russian city, but managed to repel them with whipped protective archers. By 55AD I had 23 cities, buddism in every city, the Buddist holy city with shrine, and mansa right next door chugging out techs for me to steal. I had a 75% chance to pop a great engineer in the pyramids city where I built hanging gardens and set an engineer working, but it wasn't to be. Numerous 12-15% chances in my GP farm yielded none either. Not the end of the world, the UN can still be constructed in 10 or 11 turns.

Spoiler :

I built the UN, gave all my vassals biology, and then realized I wouldn't win. DOH. My dearth of diplomatic victories led me to think that all my vassals would vote for me. Not so. Joao, the smiling snake, voted for himself in the UN election!

Spoiler :

I stopped conquering after 400AD because I was 2% from the dom limit. This situation has me in a bit of a bind. The 3rd largest civ is about 40 pop behind Joao, because someone was razing the formerly 3rd largest civ's cities like a moron :mischief:

I guess I have no choice but to use large amounts of rushed privateers to choke Joao down -40 population. Such is HOF games. Hopefully I can squeeze in a victory before AAA's excellent finish time, but I am doubting it.

20. AAA

AAA Warlord

Hopefully I can squeeze in a victory before AAA's excellent finish time, but I am doubting it. I guess I have no choice but to use large amounts of rushed privateers to choke Joao down -40 population. Such is HOF games. Hopefully I can squeeze in a victory before AAA's excellent finish time, but I am doubting it.[/QUOTE]

Won't anyone just take some of your cities, preferablely someone who wasn't voting for you anyway;)