1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major 93

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I tried AAA's advice, and no one who wasn't a vassal would take any of my cities. Just like the last minor I played and lost, I was once again pondering why the AI does and does not take free cities.

Here was my thinking just now:

"Carthage is like +8 with me, why won't he take any of my cities and become the 2nd largest civ. Maybe if I get him to friendly he will finally take some free cities finally. I can't believe I'm so far ahead and umm and uhhhhh.... ....... when did he turn buddist? :faint:"

I gifted him about 40 techs after that, got +5 you have shared your technology, and won the game in 1080AD with his votes. Joao lost a ton of population to spies and privateers, but was still #2 in population by two population when the next vote came up.

Thnx AAA! :goodjob:

2. AAA

AAA Warlord

Well, I like trying to sneak under 1080, much better than 1000.
    I'm going to need some new maps :lol:. Maybe some wonders this time.

3. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Chieftain

I have half a dozen tries in on this and no luck so far. I've tried opponents who might like my religion, those who might like my lack thereof, those who might like my civics, introduce one to be everyone's worst enemy, etc, but no wins yet. On Immortal, I can tech and bulb well enough to complete the UN and gift some techs along the way, but seemingly not well enough to get enough people Friendly enough to vote me a win. While I have been first to meet the other continent a few times, it hasn't happened yet where i can gain great influence with them early. Where's that "Other continent is backwards and tech poor" checkbox in staging? ;)

4. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Yes. Similar story for me, too.
    I'm gradually rearranging my mixture of AI, as I have been through to the UN stage - what is it, 4 times now.

The 'villain strategem' hasn't worked at all, and I've pretty much abandoned that now. Not once has the 'villain' turned out to be the largest civ come the day of reckoning! The worst, and funniest, outcome was when I met the other continent, including bad boy Napoleon, after I got Optics, only to find that he was in the process of being wiped from the map by Asoka :lol: :(. Of course, Asoka ends up being my UN opponent, and is universally loved for ridding the world of the tyrant, so I can't win the vote despite everyone also loving me! That's the rules of the game, unfortunately. If an AI is friendly with both candidates, they vote for the AI, not the human.

I think I have met the 'other continent backwards and poor' situation in one game - that was where we were all crammed onto the larger continent and just a lonely couple shared the smaller continent.
    (I've also seen a weird multi-continent outcome, where there were 4 civs on each of two large continents, plus two more civs fighting over a third, small continent. The two were backwards compared to all of the rest of us)

I think it is worth picking your AI so that not too many of them share a favourite civic. Two of them sharing is OK, 3 or 4 means big trouble with them holding a major love-fest that you can't break up.
    I just wish I could choose an AI with a fair degree of probability to become the largest population - and also unpopular. I wish I could, but I just can't pull it off. :hmm:

5. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

UN requires only 60% of the Vote, including. your own vote.

Wipe Out the Your Continent:

1) Make sure your own Vote is about 55% and make one good friend with low enough Population, to never be 1st or 2nd in Population, to Vote with you.

2) Make sure >= 60% of the AIs are on your continent.

This game is Epic speed and you are playing the second best early rusher, Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh starts with The Wheel, and needs only Mining -> Bronze Working to rush Vultures! You want to push nearby AIs into the Stone Age, build a dozen Vultures and let them loose. Just be sure to build a couple Spearmen to protect your Vulture stack from Chariot attacks, assuming your target has Horse. Try to avoid a first opponent with Horse.

Alternative: Wipe Out the Other Continent

1) Be first to Astronomy and wipe out all AIs on the other continent.

If you kill off all AIs on continent #1 just before they can make contact with continent #2, you start with a clean Diplomatic slate.

The Tried and True Diplomatic Strategy:

You already mentioned the "easy" way to win a Diplomatic Victory. Include an AI that is universally hated by all other AIs. Its best to use an AI that is also Spiritual, has Mysticism and thus will found an early Religion. You might try peaceful AIs that lack Mysticism and thus give Montezuma an excellent chance of receiving Religious hatred. Better yet, include a peaceful AI like Mansa Musa that Techs fast, founds Religions and spreads them around. Montezuma will have one early Religion and Mansa Musa will have the other early Religion and so will nearly everyone else. A Religious War will erupt eventually; just be sure to be on the right side of it.

If anythings goes badly, abandon the game rather than try to salvage it.

The Peaceful Strategy Can Also Work Fne:

Beeline Optics and make contact with the other AIs first and make them love you enough to vote for you over another AI on your Continent. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Remember: Favorite Civic of Free Religion is probably the best; be first to Liberalism and give it to your "Free Religion" loving buddies and they should vote for you, assuming you do all the other Diplomatic PC things, Open Borders, share Resources, +4 fair trading, trade Technologies to AIs who appreciate getting many Techs from you, etc.

You may want to avoid Events, since they will give you bad events about as often as good events and some of the bad events are -1 to -3 Diplomacy.

Good luck!

Sun Tzu Wu

6. AAA

AAA Warlord

980 AD

No Great Engineer, but copper did fall in my capital :D, making for a very quick smash and grab.
    The biggest problem was Mansa was on the wrong continent, had to research my own tech, what a pain:lol:

7. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

980AD is an amazing finish time! Especially with no great engineer. I think we can safely declare you the winner of this gauntlet, even though it ends two weeks from now :lol:

8. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Hey, people!
    Just wondering, does anyone (AgedOne, AAA or Kai) tried the CS slingshot or is it too risky? :p

9. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Well ... the answer is No, really.

I've been persisting with my peaceful OCC strategy, but haven't got a win to put on the boards yet. I'm pretty sure I've run out of time now.
    In my type of game, it's important to get the Gt Wall, so I try to get that in place by turn 50. The Oracle tends to go around turns 70-90, so that leaves precious little time to get the thing built after the Wall.
    I've been concentrating on Pyramids by turn 100 and then Gt Library by 150.
    Later, I want Liberalism => Astronomy around 500AD.

Unfortunately, the few times I've managed to get the UN first (either alone or in partnership) the way the cards have fallen regarding AI relationships have found me in a position where I can't get a victorious vote.

10. Manco Capac

Well, I'm in a special situation where I destroyed Buddism founder (Isabella) and Hinduism/Judaism founder (Gandhi) (before 2000 BC) and I know by experience such situation "can" delay the Oracle date. Possessing 4 gold tiles in my capital's BFC, I am wondering if taking such risk would rocket my tech rate via Bureaucracy.

I saw by myself Kai's game and he lost the Oracle by 1200 BC. Interesting fact...
    AAA's game isn't around, tee hee. I wonder why...;)

11. AgedOne

AgedOne Emperor

Boy, am I a dummy! Thought the deadline was yesterday :rolleyes:.
    You mean I have another two weeks of this torment!
    (I may disappear off and try something else for a few days. It'll be good for my blood pressure)

12. AAA

AAA Warlord

Mostly because I'm so poorly organized:crazyeye:
    I'd go for it, especially since the early rush has gone so well (I think two AIs then wonder build), and the boost would be impressive.

However I have always missed it when I've tried. And then when I don't go for it, it sits around until almost 1000BC:gripe:

13. Manco Capac

Ah, I thought you wanted to avoid pesky buggers like me browsing through your games.
    Nonetheless, I'm looking through the games just for critical dates as reference. It's the alarm point from where I can judge which of my games are already failure.

Well, now it's 1500 BC (turn 100) and the Oracle is still afloat. 10 turns before getting my GScientist for math bulbing.
    My rush may have gone so well, maybe too well. I'm killing everyone in my continent. When I'm in psychopathic warmonger mode, I can't control myself.

I killed Gandhi.
    I killed Isabella.
    I killed Wang Kon.
    I killed De Gaulle.
    Churchill is on the blink to be killed.
    All this before 1500 BC.

I want to kill Sury (Why did I put him in the first place!? Rly!) He just hooked copper, damn!
    The remaining survivors:
    Joao II, Sury and the weak Asoka (hating me for DoWing everyone!). Oops! No MM or Lincoln in my continent and so few good tech traders. Kill everyone or else what to do. I wonder. At least theirs favourite civics are accessible.

Stats by 1500 BC.
    10 cities, around 19 workers, Got 4 religions, 5 gold tiles, 4 gem tiles. Frankly, almost every city I captured had its personal high commerce tile. :) No Alpha yet! :run:

I can't believe I'll have to selftech everything.

14. Walter_Wolf

Walter_Wolf King

Are you playing max opponents?

It seems so by the listing provided. I am also struggling (never played immortal before) with a similar setup

15. AAA

AAA Warlord

An impressive bit of smash and grab.

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth. :confused: :lol:

You want lib for radio.
    Don't kill everyone on your continent, keep one or two until you have Astro for intercontinental trade routes. And you want to be able to gift cities to someone until someone on your continent is against you in the vote. Joao would be my bet.
    The pyramids are a must.
    I headed for optics and astro before paper and Ed
    You want contact with the other continent ASAP so you can sell everything and get the trade routes and build pos attitude.

Good luck and may the force be with you :scan:

16. Manco Capac

My two :commerce:. Worker steal! On epic immortal, there are so many workers to steal. Don't wait vultures to proceed. Just steal workers whatever the tile the warrior will land on (the AI gets stunned by surprise attack for one turn :lol:), then wait a bit (don't forget to retreat, don't give your target a reason to produce archers) for a cease fire. They mostly to always accept. On deity, on the other hand, it's almost impossible as they expect more collateral damages before proposing CF or Peace treaty.
    In my current game, I didn't bother training a single worker.
    For the vulture phase, if the copper falls into the BFC or the third cultural ring, don't bother founding other cities. In a nutshell, I let the AI does the dirty work. :)

And yes, max opponents option (14) is the best for extraordinary rushes. Moreover, there are more juicy capitals.

17. Manco Capac

CS oracling succeeded! :D

Spoiler :

I decided to kill Sury after all; he's an annoying f***er with his minus 2 demands. His lands are nice food-wise.
    I let him survive for now with a single city. When Asoka will tech Alpha (yes Alpha after 1000 BC, I can't believe it), I'll extort from Churchill and Sury what I can extort.

Spoiler :

Mids are online too by 1250 BC I think. The luck factor is dead now, phew! Good position with 15 cities and 23 workers, but techwise...ouch it sucks. AH is still a mystery for my bureaucratic citizens...:lol:

I verified if it is immortal after all...and it is. It felt like emperor for once.

18. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Even Deity AIs can't resist against 18 Vultures at 1300 BC (Epic speed)!

This is after killing how many AI Civs?

I would probably have 2 stacks of 9 Vultures or 3 stack of 6 Vultures, where each stack was attacking a single AI, preferably their Capital first, if its on nearby border. Of course there would be streams of Reinforcement Vultures too.

Also, a 1-2 Spearman defenders would be good to have when Chariots attack.

Good luck, Tachywaxon!

Sun Tzu Wu

19. Manco Capac

Almost five civs. I let Churchill survives for extorsion purposes. Same for Sury.
    Seriously, Sury was a piece of cake. He was on expansion mode, that is why. Even his axemen couldn't stand the mighty sumerian forces.
    For now I have to stop rushing, otherwise I would lose possibilities to tech trade for a long moment. Maybe Asoka is going to be my next target...giving the cities afterwards to Joao II for better relations. I lost 3 diplomatic points because I attacked his natural friends. :(

20. Manco Capac

I thought I was rusty on immortal...

Spoiler :
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To be honest, I was about to keep secret until the end of the competition...but that's completely opposite of what I'm used to be. I can be surreptitious too. :mad:

Anyways, hope my game's gonna get accepted.

Wow, I got the earliest date for immortal DV (except Skallagrim dual DV)!

Way an improvement compared to my G-Major 89's 1560 AD. True it's hard to compare this game to the one filled with sociopaths. But still...

If anyone is interested, I'll put further details of my game and some tips.