1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major 99

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
    [/size]​

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Cultural (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Emperor
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Rain Forest
    • Speed: Epic
    • Required: Raging Barbarians
    • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
    • Civ: Holy Roman Empire (Charlemange)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: 3.19.003
    • Date: 10th December 2011 to 10th January 2012
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Build The Great Wall and you will be able to build your Cultural Empire without being harassed by Barbarians.

Choose a starting site with many rivers, some flood plains, and Pig food. Build a Great Person Farm with large numbers of Pig, other Food resources and floodplains. Cottage 2-3 of Legendary Culture cities; if 2 cottage cities, the 3rd will be your Great Person Farm.

Have fun "building" Culture!

Sun Tzu Wu

3. Habitus

Habitus Emperor

Iirc, on the last Rainforest Culture game, the best way wasn't the normal cottage route due to the lack of production, rather you had extra cities to normal to produce extra great people. Still had cottages but the were a small part of the victory as were wonders and such. Of course that was Prince iirc so Emperor may change it again :)

4. billybgame

billybgame Prince

I'm trying to give this a go.....had two good starts, but erred in the 1st, and got defeated by waves of barbs taking my only city. The second, I lasted much longer, but I'm going to retire it. I got two religions and built the Great Wall. But, when you don't see a horse, copper or iron, anywhere on your uncovered map, and barb cities are all around you, time for another retry!

5. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

You don't need those resources (although copper is nice for cathedrals.)
    Barb cities all around you is perfect! They flip so easily, just culture bomb them.

6. thbrown81

thbrown81 Warlord

Just curious, what opponents do you all think work best for this?

I decided to avoid serial wonder spammers and stick to opponents who don't declare at pleased. Since there isn't an incentive to rush an opponent (or is there? I assume with raging barbs plus the large distances between most civs at the start of a RF map there is not any incentive to attack another civ) there is need to avoid protective civs. Anyway, I went with Sitting Bull, Churchill, Hannibal, Saladin, Washington and DeGaulle. I thought that DeGaulle's low wonder Prob would override his industrious trait, but he ended up spamming nearly every Wonder in the first game I attempted. Would it be better to have Brennus or Boudica in his place?

7. billybgame

billybgame Prince

Not sure if I'll win, having never won a Civ 4 Emporer game. But, for what it's worth, I used Boudica, and went for mostly peaceful, non-Industrious leaders. Churchill, Frederick, Lincoln, Jao, Mao Zedong, Cyrus and Mehmed. I got the Great Wall, Stonehenge and the Oracle. I'm running out of room, though, and only have 4 cities past 1 AD. The financial situation in Emporer, and the other civs land grabbing may make it hard for me to get to 9 cities. Maybe I'll just try to culture grab a city or two.

8. Walter_Wolf

Walter_Wolf King

Celts are required for the current G minor. This one you have to play as Charlemagne ;).

9. billybgame

billybgame Prince

Woops....the question about Brennus or Boudica got me confused with the two....of course I'm playing Charlemagne:)

10. Bugio

Bugio Warlord

The barb pressure is really heavy. With the lack of production GW will come really late, i'm not sure is the way to go. I tried fogbusting fortifing some warriors around the capital on forested hills, it works until you get attacked by 2 archers at the same time.
    Maybe i should try crowding the map with more AIs, will try that approach and see if that leaves me enough land to settle.

11. Walter_Wolf

Walter_Wolf King

"Protective" archers are the key to survival here. Guard the capital and improved tiles with them untill you build the G wall in a second city or something. It worked for me ;).

12. WastinTime

This is the first time I've ever researched Masonry first (before Mining even)
    I get the Wall up before turn 60, so no barb problems.

13. billybgame

billybgame Prince

disregard...wrong forum...

14. thbrown81

thbrown81 Warlord

Life is short. Use Mapfinder. #StoneInBFC

15. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Absolutely, build Great Wall then get a Great Spy to say hello to Mansu ;)

16. WastinTime

I much prefer marble for culture games. Stone is not necessary.

17. thbrown81

thbrown81 Warlord

Normally I'd agree, but in the case of raging barbs, Stone is very helpful, and gives you a jump on expanding and grabbing marble further out.

18. thbrown81

thbrown81 Warlord

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I WAS TWO TURNS FROM MY FIRST EVER EMPEROR/ G-MAJOR WIN AND FRACKING HANNIBAL FLIPPED AND VOTED FOR DE GAULLE AND HE STOLE A DIPLO WIN!!! M***** F*****M*****F*****M*****F*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would been a horrible finish date (July 1978) but still, a win is a win.

19. Walter_Wolf

Walter_Wolf King

There is a mysterious submitter in this one, so I'll tell you tomorrow if my date is good or not :D.

This guy's traits and starting techs are not really what I would ask for in a culture game on this "nohillsandforestsjustjungles" mapscript.

The raging barbs were really helpfull 'cause they really slow down the AI.
    I had a crazy food rich start with a plains stone nearby. Settled on rice, built a worker, and then 6 or 7 archers as resource guards. The G wall city was settled on stone, and the wall built by T95 - 100 (something like that). I didn't want to pollute my capitol, as I usually build the G artist generating wonders there. Now that I think again, there is plenty of time to hook up the stone and settle the 2nd city in a better place than I did. The 2 workers per city "rule of thumb" that gets mentioned pretty often in the forums should be at least doubled if you want to expand at a reasonable pace. The absence of forfests makes it even harder, but the abundance of food spoiled me for the future games on other maps. I had a 5 or 6 food resources GP farm which was at -10 health and still growing :crazyeye:.

I founded Hinduism (1st tech, then archery > masonry), and missed Judaism by a few turns. Got Confu (oracle? not sure), and lost Taoism while beelining music. Liberalized Nationalism. Had a late spread of Buddhism, so used that for the temples/cathedrals. Lousy mid-game with poor religion spreading and empire expanding management. Bombed 0/6/8 in the capitol, the oracle city and another poorly located one. I built the parthenon, MoM, sistine and taj mahal in the capitol, and got 2 artists thanks to that.

I might try to improve, especcialy if the misterious submitter made a several centuries better job.

cheers

20. WastinTime

I am the mysterious submitter.