1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major CI

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Dec 3, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Prince Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Emperor
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Continents
    • Speed: Quick
    • Leader: China (Wu Zetain)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st to 31st December 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  2. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

An Emperor, Continents Quick Domination Gauntlet? Major, indeed. Not experienced enough at these settings to know whether to beeline Chokonu or Galleass/Frigates. Quick makes it a lot tougher.

Not sure I will get this in on time. Will be fun to try.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

3. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Hope everyone is having a great 2020 so far!

I got in a game of this in December, but it was not a battle for the ages.

The Chinese Empire was able to conquer its local neighbors with its vaunted bowmen, but had to wait until its sages developed frigates to conquer the foes in far off lands. The Polynesians were not as much help in discovering those lands as we had hoped.

Looking forward to this month's major.
    http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/gauntlet.php
    Immortal Science Victory with Bismarck -Will build plenty of early units to try to leverage barbarian camps into CS alliances and peace treaty concessions.
    Will definitely include Genghis Khan so I can "liberate" a Mongolian-captured city state or two.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  4. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

I will also participate. Bismarck on Immortal is always fun. But I will probably try to finish my VVV first (I have 3 more civs to go), and that is where I have a question for zenmaster: I still have to play as Venice and I got interested in your entry 12190 (Prince/Tiny Islands/CV). I read through the General log but I would still like to learn more. What social policies? Did you go for Sacred sites? What techs did you prioritize? I will value any insight you can give me.

5. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Wow, I downloaded my final save to jog my memory, and this one was a very interesting and different Culture Victory. The settings were from a previous gauntlet that I did not play at the time. For posterity, I will post my insights in that gauntlet thread:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/g-minor-cxxxiv.606585/

6. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

I played the January Gauntlet with Bismarck. I took the third roll (first two were useless jungle starts) to make it a little more interesting. Turned out that the capital was good (two flood plains Citrus) but I was short on space for peaceful expansions so I only settled Hamburg and Munich myself. After Askias inital attack on t59 I countered and took Gao as a fourth city. Then I tried to play peacefully until I got bored on t250 or so (when I took York and London as well). All in all an "okay" map with quite unfocused play ended in a victory on t309. So at least I did not set the bar very high for the rest of you. :)

As a curiousity I could mention that all AIs that made it to the end went Autocracy and since I was first to Ideologies I picked Order (because I was a little concerned about happiness) instead of Freedom. It turned out to be a good call. Siam had massive culture and tourism and I needed about 300 cpt to defend myself.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Thanks for the writeup!

The AI civs all going Autocracy is pretty interesting. Ideologies, like barbarian behavior, seems coded to try to screw the human player as much as possible.
    You probably know this from playing so many Deity games. Stack the game with civs who like to pick Freedom and they still will ALL pick Order to mess with your happiness if you go Freedom. If you take Order first, like many AI civs love, the rest line up to take Autocracy and Freedom still quite often.

Siam sure can be a wicked AI foe at high levels if they get the right alliances!

8. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

With still no update into the latter half of the month, rolling the January gauntlets into February partially or totally would probably be a good idea, so we can talk about a gauntlet on its own forum for a bit :)

9. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Soooo true. From the game I could add that I started sandwiched with 5 close neighbours! Babylon to the W (which I had handpicked), England to the SW, Songhai to the S, Indonesia to the SE and Carthage to the E. Up north there were many CS and general wasteland, that was so bad that even the AIs did not settle it all game.

10. aafritz17

aafritz17 Prince Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

The following are the results of G-Major CI. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

Rank Player Date Turn Score
    zenmaster 1755 AD 176 4373
    2 Sir Bugsy 1876 AD 208 3457

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Emperor
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Continents
    • Speed: Quick
    • Leader: China (Wu Zetain)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st December 2019 to 31st January 2020
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.