G-Major CVII

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings (AND PLEASE DO NOT OVERLOOK THAT "NO CITY RAZING" MUST BE ON):
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Map Size: Huge
  • Map Type: Small Continents
  • Speed: Quick
  • Leader: Any
  • Required: No City Razing
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st to 31st July 2020
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

I jotted down half-a-dozen Civs with which I could try this one, and haven't yet had a decent attempt with the first one. Anybody else think this should go another month?

Hey, all, I am in a very busy stretch of RL, positive stuff, just sucking up all my little metabolisms :crazyeye:. So I am gonna take the easy way out here, extend both gauntlets through August. Hope that isn't a problem for anybody, and thanks for your consideration.

A beautiful (3 nearby mining) start - had all 4 cities planted before any of the nearby AIs did, partly though creative
blocking. Decent middle game. Abysmal end, loosing 36 turns to [] forgetting to sell bldgs, [] two Coups at one time
[] other mistakes. .... 247. This took longer than the minor despite being Diplo and Quick speed. :sad:

Rome was in the game. Had 22cities.
India was sending 3 great prophets at a time.

Mods: Civ crash at 62; all saves available.

Last edited:
Hi, have been offline for awhile. Hope everyone is doing well.

I tried Babylon, Spain, and Polynesia. Finished games for Babylon and Spain. Polynesia is nice in that it can explore fast and find all the civs, but the science/empire building is slower.

With Babylon, it took awhile to find the last civ. Printing Press was researched a bit before I discovered it, so that delayed things. Babylon has that early science boost and the faster great scientists, yet building enough expansions goes so slowly on quick. I still didn't hit education at a faster pace compared to standard speed pace. With Spain, some early wonder money helped me get my expansion cities up faster, so everything went more smoothly. Finished in the T180s, which is not terrible on quick, but I always feel I should do better on Quick speed.

The current Emperor-Islands-Quick Domination game is just brutal. That combination makes it hard to get any traction.

Those who enjoy very long naval conquest games may like it, but I will not be trying it again. Tech raced to Compass-Navigation, but the Quick speed and Large Islands map almost guarantees you will have a long slow frigate war ahead of you that may need further military tech even. You need a very good science setup and/or good map to gain early traction.

I may finish my Frigate effort, but if I were to try again, swimming some Chokonus around as part of the effort would probably be good.

Last edited:
The following are the results of G-Major CVII.

Rank Player Date Turn Score Options
zenmaster 1735 AD 172 2415
fiddlesticks 1872 AD 206 2127
3 Sir Bugsy 1934 AD 237 1698
4 zlither 1952 AD 246 1404
5 keg 1996 AD 276 1437

Top Bottom