G-Major CXXIIa - The Apology Gauntlet

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

Sometimes you just have to know when to change your game. This is one of those times. In recognition of the resounding fail that was G-Major CXXII, I bring you

THE APOLOGY GAUNTLET!

But, still giddy with experimentation, YES, it's a Major, but YES, it's Settler. (Remember, Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.)

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Lakes
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Shoshone (Pocatello)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 16th to 30th April 2022

One major thing to check here - I think Lakes is one of those maps where City-States don't always spawn properly. So when you get the map opened up, count the C/S, be sure that 12 actually settled. The parser that the games run through auto-rejects a game with the wrong C/S count.

Yeah, just wasted time.....finally got a decent start, uncovered map and only 9 C/S. Might want to extend this one as well....who knows how long will take get a legitimate game working. Have always not understood how they couldn't have built in the game somehow showing how many C/S were ACTUALLY in the game. I've been burned on submitted games by this issue before also, when I used to use random settings.

Yeah, just wasted time.....finally got a decent start, uncovered map and only 9 C/S. Might want to extend this one as well....who knows how long will take get a legitimate game working. Have always not understood how they couldn't have built in the game somehow showing how many C/S were ACTUALLY in the game. I've been burned on submitted games by this issue before also, when I used to use random settings.
I remembered this, wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. And I've had a few of my own since then that I had to throw away, too.

Yeah, I just tried again....only 7 C/S this time.....not sure ever going to work.....maybe we can restart this with a different map?

Edit: Gave it one more shot...3rd try...only 8 C/S....guess not worth continuing efforts. Did anyone get the game to give 12?

Edit 2: Tried a 4th time...9 again.....not sure if will try a 5th...wish someone would say if they got the 12 required....seems there's lots of room on top and bottoms of map that C/S could be....but nope....I've yet to get even 10 though, let alone 12. Problem is it takes me 70 turns to find out.

Edit 3: Had time, so gave it one last try...thought maybe as had 9 found pretty early...but sadly only one more....but still 10 C/S was my best out of 5 tries. Guess that's it for me though.

Last edited:
Yup, I tried and there were 8 (+ at most one more in the fog) - shame the rules are so stringent - as I think 12 city states on this map wouldn't leave enough space for everyone else, so maybe it's not a bug but a smart decision the game does - to pick a reasonable number of C/S for the space available (given that lakes/seas reduce the space)?

To put into perspective, at turn 50 I had 4 cities, AI had 1 each, with my 2 settlers on the way settled - I doubt all the AI would have had space for a decent 2nd city (but then it is Shoshone!)
So with 4 more C/S' - I don't think there would be room for any of them to settle a 2nd city!

One major thing to check here - I think Lakes is one of those maps where City-States don't always spawn properly. So when you get the map opened up, count the C/S, be sure that 12 actually settled. The parser that the games run through auto-rejects a game with the wrong C/S count.
I think it used to accept such games though, did something change? I'm looking at logs in this Small/Lakes table and at least the first three games have fewer than 12 CSs: http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/tab...pe=8&leader=19&mapSize=3&speed=1&dtSc=0&exp=2

Sorry for the delay here. I've been on a very active job, haven't had a chance to check in.

I, too, played several games, didn't get a full complement of C/S in any of them. So I checked some old games, and @vadalaz is correct - they HAVE been accepted in the past. I also know, as @billybgame said, that some games get flagged like this:

When those red flags show (for any reason), that game cannot get past the GauntletScorer program. I guess it's just that SOME games (for whatever reason) don't trigger the flags.

So here's my suggestion. I will extend this gauntlet until Friday, 5/06/22. Everybody, please submit any and all games that you have played (or will play in the next 4 days) for this gauntlet. BUT - instead of "excluding" any that fail because of the C/S count, I will simply delete them (nobody needs another exclusion, right?) Hopefully everybody will have one that goes through. What do you think?

Attachments

• upload_2022-5-2_17-57-51.jpeg
    upload_2022-5-2_17-57-51.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot 2022-05-02 175112.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-02 175112.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 156
Do you mean they won't be accepted to the HOF database - but will be accepted for the gauntlet?

Do you mean they won't be accepted to the HOF database - but will be accepted for the gauntlet?
When I run them through GauntletScorer, sometimes they are refused (like above), other times they go through, even though there are fewer than the required C/S on the map.

I have no explanation for that. Having read several different threads about this phenomena, the most likely theory (in my opinion) is that the missing C/S were created in when the map code ran, but then failed to spawn because they landed on a mountain or on water. At least, it seems to happen more often on mountainous and/or small maps.

So the answer to your question is that any game that gets through GauntletScorer will qualify both for the gauntlet and the HOF.

(And I just noticed - the name "GauntletScorer" might be causing confusion. It really should have been named "HOFScorer", because it is the program that checks ALL the games.)

Having read several different threads about this phenomena, the most likely theory (in my opinion) is that the missing C/S were created in when the map code ran, but then failed to spawn because they landed on a mountain or on water.
I think you're right. I opened the initial save files of accepted games from the table I linked in Notepad, and there was a list of 12 CSs in each of them, eventhough some of the CSs never actually spawned (interestingly the 2nd and 3rd place have exactly the same AI and CS composition, so it seems 3rd used 2nd's initial save to roll their map). I guess the way to make sure your game is accepted is to check if your initial save has the correct number of CSs?

How do you see number of C/S after game has begun, but map not uncovered? I think that's what you are saying.

But, ok....I will try to get a game in...maybe have time.

I think they're just saying submitting may still go through even though there aren't the full number of CS, as long as the game was set up to the default numbers! So your previous tries may be valid - as long as you got a manual save at the end of your last play session (to play from)!

Nah, never completed any, once I realized there weren't enough C/S.....so started anew...but these can be fairly quick games, even on Epic, so hoping to get done. Also hope not complete waste of time:(

I submitted...turn 256....made a few later errors as I rushed to get it done...could have been done earlier. Hope wasn't waste of time.

Last edited:
Nah, never completed any, once I realized there weren't enough C/S.....so started anew...but these can be fairly quick games, even on Epic, so hoping to get done. Also hope not complete waste of time:(

I submitted...turn 256....made a few later errors as I rushed to get it done...could have been done earlier. Hope wasn't waste of time.
Hope so too for you!

I think you're right. I opened the initial save files of accepted games from the table I linked in Notepad, and there was a list of 12 CSs in each of them, eventhough some of the CSs never actually spawned (interestingly the 2nd and 3rd place have exactly the same AI and CS composition, so it seems 3rd used 2nd's initial save to roll their map). I guess the way to make sure your game is accepted is to check if your initial save has the correct number of CSs?
I have seen that work a bunch of times, but I seem to remember finding at least one that had the correct number, but then was flagged when I submitted it. Not certain I looked at the right place (the list seems to appear a couple of places), and maybe my memory isn't correct...

The following are the results of G-Major CXXIIa. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

Rank Player Date Turn Score
1 billybgame 1110 AD 256 4385

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Lakes
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Shoshone (Pocatello)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 16th April to 1st July 2022
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom