G-Major CXXV

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st to 31st July 2022 EDIT: Extended through 8/20/22
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited:
Submitted a turn 121 win to get things started. Far from optimized as it's several years since I did this strat last time.

You beat me. 136 was the best I could do. You go straight down Piety to Reformation? Which NWs?

You beat me. 136 was the best I could do. You go straight down Piety to Reformation? Which NWs?
I did the Alexander necro strat, so straight liberty. Honestly I was limited by the Liberty Musician timing more than anything else.

I was about to say…there was a little optimization for Sacred Sites, but 15 turns was prob beyond the limits of my skills. Nicely done.

I did the Alexander necro strat, so straight liberty. Honestly I was limited by the Liberty Musician timing more than anything else.

Good game!

I have never tried that strategy. Maybe I will give it a spin. What did they call it, Greek Liberation, right?

Nice games so far. Thanks so much @aafritz17 for another "Any Leader" gauntlet! These are always the best!

It has been awhile since I have been online after having to deal with some health issues, else I would have chimed in sooner on an Any Leaders gauntlet

The following link is is my very quick synopsis of the Culture Victory paths

On Epic Speed and Tiny Map, Sacred Sites is just too slow to get going compared to Greek Liberation.
As @Emtee noted, the limiting factor is how fast you can finish Liberty to get the Great Musician.

Amassing culture as fast as possible is the best way to go here for a fast victory, assuming you can take care of conquest all right.
Culture civs or Conquest civs are likely the best civs to choose from. I played the Huns first to conquer ASAP and get God of the Open Sky going ASAP.
I may try Brazil or Thailand to see if I can get the culture faster and have my conquest keep up.

Nice games so far. Thanks so much @aafritz17 for another "Any Leader" gauntlet! These are always the best!

It has been awhile since I have been online after having to deal with some health issues, else I would have chimed in sooner on an Any Leaders gauntlet

The following link is is my very quick synopsis of the Culture Victory paths

On Epic Speed and Tiny Map, Sacred Sites is just too slow to get going compared to Greek Liberation.
As @Emtee noted, the limiting factor is how fast you can finish Liberty to get the Great Musician.

Amassing culture as fast as possible is the best way to go here for a fast victory, assuming you can take care of conquest all right.
Culture civs or Conquest civs are likely the best civs to choose from. I played the Huns first to conquer ASAP and get God of the Open Sky going ASAP.
I may try Brazil or Thailand to see if I can get the culture faster and have my conquest keep up.
What pantheon did you start with? Seems like I usually try for Desert Folklore, but when conquest is involved, I'm torn between DF and Faith Healers. If one is not going Sacred Sites, then maybe a non-faith-producing pantheon is okay?

Hi, I did not get a notification on this post; sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I think whatever pantheon gives you the most culture is the best one to choose in this gauntlet.

I went Huns, so God of the Open Sky for culture for pastures was a no brainer. If I were going Brazil, Sacred Path would be the clear choice;for other civs it would depend what the terrain was like.

Will these gauntlets get extended a few days? Seeing as the HOF server cannot take submissions this weekend, that would be best, it seems.

Will these gauntlets get extended a few days? Seeing as the HOF server cannot take submissions this weekend, that would be best, it seems.
(You probably already saw the response in the other gauntlet thread, but) yes.

Two things: NO, WAIT, there were two things for the minor. There are THREE things for this gauntlet.
First, this gauntlet has been extended through Friday, 8/05/22.
Second, they ran into a snag moving the HOF over to the new server. Guess it's going to take some coding, so they will do that this week, then try moving again next weekend. So I may not do an update next weekend, either. Keep playing any games, regardless of the current "8/05/22" deadline. I have to put SOMETHING in that field, but, in the end, we will include any games you play for the gauntlets.

And, third, I also changed one gauntlet parameter. It is an "Any" civ, so I set it to allow 3 (three) (THREE) submissions per player. We'll see how that works out.

After my Huns victory on T103 with conquest easy and culture harder to come by, I tried Thailand and hoped for some Culture city-states. Even with a couple cultural allies, the best I could do was a T113 win. Poland was the civ that broke the T100 barrier. Why try to boost culture for incrementally faster policy acquisition when you can get a free policy?

If you are depending on Greece to liberate your first captured capital and then get conquered quickly, it helps if Greece is weak throughout the game. I had to scuttle one good game when Greece built three cities and kept their military might above mine even after I upgraded to composite bowmen. They just absorbed my conquered capital I traded them and did not liberate. I would have had to conquer two tough cities anyway, so it was not meant to be a cultural victory.

By the way, the servers may still be a little off. I could not get a save through the first time i tried it, but it worked the second time.

The following are the results of G-Major CXXV. The settings are at the bottom of the page.

RankPlayerDateTurnScoreOptions
gold[1].png
zenmaster1600 BC964108
lea_po_ca[1].png
silver[1].png
fiddlesticks1475 BC1016230
lea_sp_is[1].png
bronze[1].png
zenmaster1425 BC1034253
lea_hu_at[1].png
4zenmaster1175 BC1133633
lea_si_ra[1].png
5Emtee975 BC1213712
lea_hu_at[1].png
6ntp0124600 BC1364511
lea_sp_is[1].png
7aafritz17505 AD2075459
lea_sp_is[1].png
8Emtee850 AD2304843
lea_by_th[1].png
9Emtee1060 AD2514845
lea_by_th[1].png
10aafritz171240 AD2694617
lea_hu_at[1].png

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st July to 22nd August 2022
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom