G-Major CXXXIII

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.
(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Map Type: Tilted Axis
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Siam (Ramkhamhaeng)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st to 31st May 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.
@Blake00 @The_J

No love for this gauntlet?

Tiny Epic Siam is about as nice a set-up as you can give for an Emperor culture gauntlet play-time-wise and difficulty-wise. The Epic speed is offset by the fact that other civs on Epic do not build their military up so quickly, so you have ample time to assert your own civ forcefully, which saves time. The Emperor level is not so bad as Siam can steamroll if it gets some early city-state allies.

Tilted Axis is a bit weird, as even choosing a "Pangaea" type landmass can yield a map with 1 or 2 civs very isolated from others . Sometimes there is a tiny polar land bridge connecting areas.

As long as you can discover all the other civs reasonably quickly, this one won't take too long, especially if you can get some good cultural and/or religious city-states. Siam can really roll with some good CS allies.

I highly recommend giving it a shot.

I am afraid of Emperor difficulty. But I guess it all depends. The King G Minor went far easier than the Prince GOTM that just started has so far.

Is Sacred Sites a possibility on higher difficulties? Seems that might the only way I could fathom a win.

I am afraid of Emperor difficulty. But I guess it all depends. The King G Minor went far easier than the Prince GOTM that just started has so far.

Is Sacred Sites a possibility on higher difficulties? Seems that might the only way I could fathom a win.
Sacred Sites can work fine all the way up through Immortal, and can even rarely work on Deity with the right settings.

The higher the level though, the more likely you will have a runaway culture civ or three, that will slow down the victory enormously unless you can wipe them out militarily.

This is a Tiny map, so not so bad to deal with.

Sacred sites is how I would approach this challenge too.

My tips in order of importance would be:
  • Find a faith natural wonder to settle for a quick pantheon
  • If there are two close natural wonders, take One with Nature
  • If there are wine/incense, gold/silver, or gem/pearls then consider those pantheons. Settle on them as much as possible. Wine/incense are best since the Monastery bonus boosts their usefulness.
  • Two or more nearby faith or culture city-states
  • Take the gold conversion bonus for religion. This will assist with buying settlers.
  • Choose AI unlikely to go Tradition (I find Mongolia, Spain, and Sweden have generally selected among Liberty, Honour and Piety)
  • AI civs are in the same vicinity as you for trade routes and religion spread

Ok thanks for the answers and tips.

Maybe will give it a shot. But into the GOTM at the moment. Any chance this goes past 5/31, as we have seen in recent past?

I usually just random my AI civs. But yeah, Emperor might take some more foresight.

So gave this a shot....haven't gotten back to it in a few days.....am around turn 550 I think....am only 50-60% on two remaining Civs. Used the advice and went with Isabella, Genghis, and Swedes. Was an odd game start as Sweden almost acted like they were playing OCC. They were on an island with me and never even saw them make a settler. Then them and Mongols declared on me, so I took out the Swedes. Isabella is over 60% but Mongols only around 50....getting 34% penalty for different ideologies. Even though he has 2 cities. Not sure why Isabella didn't wipe him out completely.

The good thing is I am faring quite well for my first Emporer game. Got religion...got Sacred Sites. Took first prize for Worlds fair and Intern Games. Built some wonders...though it's tough. Got Louvre and a few others. But Isabell built Apollo Program so can see writing on the wall. I think I can win Diplo victory, maybe before she launches. She has been quite far ahead in tech all game.

At this point, having never even played Emporer, I think I'll take any win, is what I'm saying. For the Achievement if nothing else.:) I'll forge on for a bit but the culture war is rising far too slowly. I've got close to 200 tourism too!

Edit: There you go....turn 642 I won a Diplo victory. Ended up unlocking 3 achievements!:) So couldn't pull off this scenario, but my first ever Emperor win and I'll take it.

Last edited:
The following are the results of G-Major CXXXIII. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

RankPlayerDateTurnScore
[IMG alt="Bronze Medal"]https://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/images/bronze.png[/IMG]fiddlesticks25 AD1752613
2zenmaster460 AD2042985

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Map Type: Tilted Axis
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Siam (Ramkhamhaeng)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st May to 5th June 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom